Author Topic: New Search Sucks  (Read 1319 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

New Search Sucks
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »
At most sites, when you add more words to the search query, it narrows down your results. Here it's the complete opposite, the more words you add to your search, the more options come up. It brings up everything with any of those words in it.

For example: If I type in "Final Fantasy", instead of it just bringing up Final Fantasy titles, it's also gonna bring up Final Fight, Final Flash, Fantasy Zone, etc. etc. (And at the same time, if I just typed in "Fantasy" or "Final", it's gonna bring up way too many results.)

This seems bass ackwards to me.

tripredacus

Re: New Search Sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »
It will show all results where Final and Fantasy appear as "Final Fantasy" in the title, together, at the beginning of the results. It is easy to see where those matches end and the individual word matches begin.

The search is definately better now than it was before. Less dupes are being created because of it, but certainly it needs to be improved.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:35:14 pm »
I agree... I think it sucks. Now it takes me half an hour to find what used to take a few seconds using the search bar. There may be less dupes but I still see some and the easiest way to solve that is to stop noobs from creating or editing listings for a while, so that they learn how to use the site before adding entries.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
Agreed

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:02:56 am »
Eh.  The method of search doesn't bother me so much and I've not tested using AND or something.  What bothers me is when you search a single word (like "everything") and nothing comes up.

I just want the app to load :(

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:09:00 am »
I agree... I think it sucks. Now it takes me half an hour to find what used to take a few seconds using the search bar. There may be less dupes but I still see some and the easiest way to solve that is to stop noobs from creating or editing listings for a while, so that they learn how to use the site before adding entries.

unfortunately not agreed... personally I feel like if this site did not allow me to create or edit items (especially ones that were clearly wrong) in those early days of me using this site I would not have stuck around, so I feel like that would cause less people to use the site.

BUT I do believe something needs to be done. I would put my money on a short tutorial to show people how to properly search for things and in what instances creating a new entry is warranted.

At most sites, when you add more words to the search query, it narrows down your results. Here it's the complete opposite, the more words you add to your search, the more options come up. It brings up everything with any of those words in it.

For example: If I type in "Final Fantasy", instead of it just bringing up Final Fantasy titles, it's also gonna bring up Final Fight, Final Flash, Fantasy Zone, etc. etc. (And at the same time, if I just typed in "Fantasy" or "Final", it's gonna bring up way too many results.)

actually if you put a " before you start typing your search it will swap it from looking for each word to it searching for the string like what you want.

what I find to be the major issue is that for example if you were to type in ""final fig" it will pop up a list of games that match entirely but if you add the next lettelr ""Final figh" the search brings back no results.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:16:35 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:00:01 pm »

unfortunately not agreed... personally I feel like if this site did not allow me to create or edit items (especially ones that were clearly wrong) in those early days of me using this site I would not have stuck around, so I feel like that would cause less people to use the site.

BUT I do believe something needs to be done. I would put my money on a short tutorial to show people how to properly search for things and in what instances creating a new entry is warranted.

actually if you put a " before you start typing your search it will swap it from looking for each word to it searching for the string like what you want.

what I find to be the major issue is that for example if you were to type in ""final fig" it will pop up a list of games that match entirely but if you add the next lettelr ""Final figh" the search brings back no results.

Well that helps things, then.