Author Topic: NES or Famicom?  (Read 2449 times)

alkaid

NES or Famicom?
« on: October 23, 2016, 06:20:00 am »
I've been thinking about getting an NES or a Famicom, but I'm not sure which to go with. Language isn't really an issue since I can understand some Japanese, and some games don't require much/any knowledge of it. But I don't know how their libraries or prices compare. I know many SNES games can be acquired a lot cheaper if you buy their Super Famicom counterparts instead, but I don't know if the same holds true for their predecessors.
No, really.

Re: NES or Famicom?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 09:50:56 am »
Definitely not an authority on this matter, but the Famicom library is definitely more RPG heacy and since you understand Japanese well, you are at a huge advantage for being able to acquire and understand these titles. There are also a lot of side scrollers, SHMUPs, and other strange titles that were never released outside Japan that are also available to you. In terms of pricing on a lot of them I honestly have no idea, but as you said, most Famicom imports are going to cost you less, especially when compared to their US counterparts if they exist.

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:59:16 am »
Both, sort of. Get an NES and a Famicom adapter, disable the lockout chip and you can experience the best of both worlds. For the SNES, cut out the two tabs inside the cartridge port and it will play Super Famicom games too.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:09:55 am »
Complete in box Famicom games are generally cheaper, even after shipping in some cases. It's also still possible to buy Famicom games in bulk.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 10:32:44 am »
Get the famicom far cheaper, and superior box art. The NES is way overpriced for what it is.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

doafan

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:51:03 am »
If you don't have issues with the language you have to get a Famicom, there are some gems that were never released at the NES also the Japanese version of Castlevania II has the best soundtrack also because of the regional differences the US has some censorship and not only in this game, but if you don't believe me a check it by yourself with this example of all the changes that this game has at this page: https://tcrf.net/Castlevania_III:_Dracula%27s_Curse/Regional_Differences

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:18 am »
Buy an NES and get one of these: http://vgcollect.com/item/104728
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 01:00:11 pm »
why not both!  8)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:47:47 pm »
As an example of game price comparisons, Mighty Final Fight loose on NES is usually listed on Ebay for between $150 and $250. The Famicom version, about $30.

alkaid

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:32 am »
Thanks for all the help guys, it sounds like the Famicom's the way to go. Guess I'm in for some RPGs this winter.

That's pretty neat, but costing about half the price of a system, I'd rather save up instead. Thanks for the suggestion though!

For the SNES, cut out the two tabs inside the cartridge port and it will play Super Famicom games too.
My older brother and I did that, it's great!

why not both!  8)
Haha, maybe one day.
No, really.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:59:32 am »
Thanks for all the help guys, it sounds like the Famicom's the way to go. Guess I'm in for some RPGs this winter.

That's pretty neat, but costing about half the price of a system, I'd rather save up instead. Thanks for the suggestion though!

For the SNES, cut out the two tabs inside the cartridge port and it will play Super Famicom games too.
My older brother and I did that, it's great!

why not both!  8)
Haha, maybe one day.

Have you considered something like a Retron5?

mrnikon

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 09:57:32 am »
Get a Twin Famicom! You get the FDS built in!

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 07:07:53 pm »
Get a Twin Famicom! You get the FDS built in!

I've never owned one of these, but I have a FDS. I assume the Twin still has belts that you have to replace just as often, right?

Original poster: I would say Famicom if you are collecting complete games and not just cartridges. Although loose carts in the USA are even skyrocketing in the past 10 years now. The game selection for a Famicom is so much better though.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 10:59:15 pm »
NES pros:
longer controller, power, RF cables
detachable controllers
built-in composite output
pin connectors can be easily replaced in nes-001
easier to obtain locally!

FC pros:
generally cheaper
unique peripherals through accessory port