Author Topic: GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!  (Read 5152 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:48:16 pm »

http://origin-www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/10/25/psa-gamestop-is-now-accepting-retro-trade-ins-at-all-stores.aspx

Thank the gaming gods!

I used to LOVE it when they were still FuncoLand and I could get all kinds of stuff there.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:52:04 pm by burningdoom »

Re: GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:52:35 pm »
There's no way this is worth doing, trading or buying them online lol

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:00:24 pm »
Lol time to buy a bunch of bootleg Pokemon games and trade them in.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:42 pm »
I know it's probably not a big deal to those in bigger cities. But I live in a rural area, which has lots of ruralness for miles around. So for a chain like GameStop to do this again, it's a Godsend for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:43:17 pm by burningdoom »

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:02:55 pm »
I'm curious how this will work out... I'd love it if they sold the retro stuff in stores, but I have a feeling that they'll take in retro stuff but will send it out to their warehouses and have the items be sold online only :'(

If anything, hopefully this makes it easier to obtain items in general.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:47:07 pm »
How it reads, this is online only, they are only taking in the trades at the stores, so you won't be going into Gamestop and seeing shelves of old games.  There's no space to do that in most stores.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:50:41 pm »
How it reads, this is online only, they are only taking in the trades at the stores, so you won't be going into Gamestop and seeing shelves of old games.  There's no space to do that in most stores.

Well damn.

rayne315

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:06:48 pm »

Well damn.

im still going to stop by the gamestops around me and ask if there are any of these old trade ins in the back.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

haloofthesun

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:10:00 pm »
Cool, time to trade in my copy of Super Mario Bros. for $0.25 only for them to turn around and sell it for $15.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:11:55 pm by haloofthesun »

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 04:12:25 pm »

Well damn.

im still going to stop by the gamestops around me and ask if there are any of these old trade ins in the back.

Usually this won't work. This happens with other items, too, that get traded in at GameStop. They get boxed up to be shipped to a warehouse somewhere where they're cleaned, etc. and packaged to be sold online.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

washerdryercombo

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 04:52:45 pm »
They sell them via the website because as a company they don't get enough Retro trades to stock stores with a decent enough selection.

Having a retro section in store would probably be a point of ridicule unless the company invested heavy into buying up mom and pop stores or collections online to fill their stores.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 05:09:54 pm »
This sucks for local Mom & Pop stores, for thrift stores, for yardsales, and for me.  Now, folks will bring boxes of retro games to GameStop and not thrift stores or local stores.  They're taking the chance of finding out back and shooting it in the head. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 05:15:04 pm »
Yeah how much can you give me for EarthBound and Pocky & Rocky?
Erm… let's see, how's 40 dollars trade-in credit sound? 
>:(

Seriously though, I think it's a good idea but I feel bad for local mom and pop shops. I've already seen many of those go the way of the ghost because of Game Stop.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

retrogemcollector

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »
Sad thing is actually people are failing for this and will trade their juicy uncommon titles for peanuts...

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 05:55:39 pm »
Sad thing is actually people are failing for this and will trade their juicy uncommon titles for peanuts...

What's even more pathetic is that even after all that some pricy titles are still being sold by the game shop for peanuts  ???
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:08:46 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!