Author Topic: Repros?  (Read 2007 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Repros?
« on: October 27, 2016, 02:40:54 pm »
Can we add repro-carts to the database, as long as we mark it as "unofficial"? Or do we not want those in there at all?

Re: Repros?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:56:57 pm »
Can we add repro-carts to the database, as long as we mark it as "unofficial"? Or do we not want those in there at all?
I wish we didn't have it at all, but I've seen several items on the site marked as such.

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:59:37 pm »
I wish we didn't have it at all, but I've seen several items on the site marked as such.

I believe we should actually make a repro designation. I know im more likely to get a repro cart than some of the very high priced cartridges out there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:01:33 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

telly

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:04:20 pm »
I thought you could add repros to the database, as long as you mark it as unofficial and state it is a repro in the description field/ title.

I mean, we already have them in the database
http://vgcollect.com/item/27605
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 09:50:33 am »
They are fine, add them as unofficial.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 06:15:16 am »

I also saw a designation as Homebrew? what's that and what's the difference with unofficial?

Upcoming Pre-orders:

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:30:19 am »

Thanks.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 11:15:40 am »
I totally believe they should be allowed as not all games get released in all region and for others who want a said game (thinking of you Terranigma) to complete their collection there are no other choice than to refer to Repros. Of corse the original could be imported but when the games is in a foreign language then you are effed.

theflea

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 07:29:33 pm »
I personally think repro's are fine if its game that was a English translation, prototype, Hack or a game like NWC90 and the cart looks different then the original. I always list these under "Homebrew"
I have many of these added in my collection and many collectors love these them selves.

The only ones I think you shouldn't add is say you buy a repro of Flinstones 2, Little Samson, Earthbound or Chrono Trigger.
Then just add the original cart to your list but put in the notes "Reproduction Cart"
I just don't want to see dup entries and people accidentally list the wrong item because they didn't see "unofficial" under the title. These are the games collector's have issues with.

While I never hated someone who brought a repro over an original I just don't like when the repro's look like the originals.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:39:49 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 07:34:36 am »
I've got repro's myself and added them to the database as homebrews:

http://vgcollect.com/item/56382 (Secret of Mana 2 - English translated PAL cart)
http://vgcollect.com/item/69793 (Earthbound - PAL)

Upcoming Pre-orders:

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 12:07:34 pm »

I also saw a designation as Homebrew? what's that and what's the difference with unofficial?

We do not have all the appropriate release types in the database to accurately describe some of the different types of these games.

Homebrew are newly created games.
Things like romhacks, fan translations and ports are not homebrews. They are technically boots and should be listed along with the other games of this type, actual boots and actual repros.

An actual repro is bootleg copy made to look like the real thing. Like all those fake Pokemon Game Boy games or any number of copies you find on aliexpress, even if they happen to use different color plastic shells.

In the eyes of the database, there is no distinction between having real games or fake/hacked games. We keep records of games.

Sometimes it seems like people like to treat the database like their own collection or preferences of collecting. Just because it is in the db doesn't mean that the item is legit or you have to change your collecting habits or that the db is advocating people collect these things. The db only shows that it exists. So the question of whether the db should have repros and boots in it? Yes, because they exist. Besides that, it can potentially give a collector a way to compare a legit game vs a boot release, if they are the type to only want normal releases.