Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 59795 times)

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2017, 11:40:20 pm »
I simply try to beat games, which is usually just story completion for the most part.  However much time you want to spend in the game is up to you.  I basically post all games I play, and then whether I'm still playing them, abandoning them, or beat them.  The goal is 52 games beat, but the list is handy for just keeping track of my games for the year.

wolfen

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:14 am »
Thanks for answering my questions. Luckily I restarted playing Mario and Luigi Super star saga a couple weeks ago, so that's at least one I'v started.

I have another question, can I beat different versions of the same game, ie. Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD?

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:01 am »
Thanks for answering my questions. Luckily I restarted playing Mario and Luigi Super star saga a couple weeks ago, so that's at least one I'v started.

I have another question, can I beat different versions of the same game, ie. Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD?

Yup, no real restrictions.  You could just beat Wind Waker 52 times if you wanted lol

wolfen

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:17 am »

Yup, no real restrictions.  You could just beat Wind Waker 52 times if you wanted lol

Well it is my favorite game so that would be EZ PZ, lmao. Thanks for the answer.

kashell

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:40 am »

Welcome to the fun! Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga is an awesome game; great choice.

Like the others have said, the best part of this is that it allows you to keep track of the games you finished throughout the year.

kashell

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:40 am »
Double posting because I'm looking good and feeling gorgeous.

My page has been updated with the latest review for Onimusha Tactics and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:12:21 am by kashell »

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »
7 - Nioh (PS4 2017) - PLAYING - I was planning to get Berserk instead this month, but I let the hype get to me and since Horizon is out at the end of the month alongside Berserk, this works out better for timing, so I'll grab Berserk later on this year.  So far, Nioh is great.  It's a Souls game with way more depth and a proper story to it.  I'm not gonna be someone that learns all the systems and dances around the yokai switching through stances, but you can still play the game more straightforward.  I'd actually say it feels like it plays more like Bloodborne with its speed and how much like Bloodborne where you have to keep track of getting health back with your attacks, in Nioh, you have to keep track of recovering Ki with the pulse ability.  Being attacked with your ki gone is basically instant death.

My only nitpick is that you have a Diablo-esque loot drop system and honestly it gets a little tedious.  I use to never mind gear drops in like Borderlands, but after Shadow Warrior 2 recently, I've felt my interest wane in systems like that abit, but because the game is a mission structure, rather than open world like Dark Souls, you do have downtime to deal with it all.

shfan

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »
I've never done one of these, but it sounds interesting. Do I need to 100% every game or do I just need to complete it in some form, for example just beating Bowser in Sunshine?

The Backloggery uses 3 different levels of classifying your game as 'beat', the first (beaten) is measured like that - last boss, end credits and similar means you've beaten the game, no 100% or higher difficulty levels needed. That's the standard I apply here, as said though this is about enjoying trying different games in your collection (or available online), why not join us?  ;D

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2017, 12:59:44 am »
Just posting this here as a reminder and also to let people know games that I will be playing and beating sometime this year:

Will definitely be playing
- Final Fantasy VII
- Half Life 2 (including episodes I & II, and lost coast)
- Super Mario 64
- Zone of the Enders
- Resident Evil (GC remake)
- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- Perfect Dark
- Doom (2016)
- Radiant Silvergun
- Final Fantasy X
- Chrono Trigger
- Sonic 3
- Sin and Punishment
- Donkey Kong Country 2

Games I will play if there is time
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy IX
- Gran Turismo 4
- Pokemon Red
- Tekken Tag Tournament
- Sonic Adventure
- Grand Theft Auto III

wolfen

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2017, 09:31:04 pm »
1. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Start - Jan 22
  • Finish - Feb 9
  • Total Time - 37 hours

Well I finished my first game, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. It was okay at the beginning and fantastic at the end, but the middle is very slow and boring. Overall it was nice to play a Mario game that was a little different from the mainline games.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:41:46 pm by wolfen »

kashell

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2017, 09:22:32 am »
Goddamn...I just realized that my 500th review was for Red Ninja: End of Honor. Usually I save milestone reviews for games that are actually good.

Ah well, I'll pay more attention next time as I approach 600.

telly

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »
Game 2 – Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) – 17 Hours

After beating this game, I can easily say that it ranks number 2 out of the four Zelda games that I’ve played so far.

+ I loved the new mechanic of going into walls as a painting. It totally changes the way you play and think about a Zelda game, and it was integrated perfectly into combat and exploration. I loved how the dungeons were all redone to take advantage of this mechanic. I also liked how the story is more fleshed out and detailed with the idea of Lorule and Hyrule. The music was also great too, with some classic interpretations of the original with some new stuff mixed in as well. I liked all the extra things too like the Maimai hunting, and the final boss fight was memorable.

- That said, I don’t think it was enough to dethrone LttP (which happens to be one of my favorite games of all time as well as my favorite Zelda game.) The issue is that Link Between Worlds borrows a little too much, so it just feels unfair to rank it any higher. I especially don’t like how the world, settings, enemies, and basic story are the same. I didn’t mind that the gameplay and music where the same, but I enjoyed the game more when it distanced itself from the original. I also didn’t really care for the renting thing. I very rarely died, so it was very easy to obtain all the items from the very beginning and even when you die, it’s easy to get them back. Maybe it makes more sense in Hero mode, but it just seemed kind of pointless to me.

Back to my list

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:38:22 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

wolfen

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2017, 07:47:15 pm »
2. Mario Kart 8
  • Start - Feb 10
  • Finish - Feb 10
  • Total Time - 2 hours 27 minutes

I played through Mario Kart 8's Grand Prix mode in 200cc. This is maybe the best Mario Kart in terms of racing, drifting, and courses and it's one of my favorite games for the the Wii U, but the battle mode and a lot of the character choices (even the DLC) are mind boggling ie. Pink Gold Peach, babies, the Koopalings, and the skin characters like Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach. I wouldn't have such a problem with these characters if we had more classic Mario Kart characters ie. Bowser Jr., Birdo, King Boo, etc.

Thankfully a lot of this has been addressed with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Overall the good outweighs the bad and if you haven't played it and you are getting the Switch you should definitely buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Favorite Cup: Egg Cup - I LOVE every single course on this cup

Favorite Characters: Shy Guy, Yoshi, Link, Tanooki Mario

Favorite Course: Excitebike Arena
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:41:23 pm by wolfen »

shfan

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2017, 11:48:07 am »
4) Dark Souls II (PS4)

Main game beat, had a few faltering steps into the first DLC area (this is the Scholar of the First Sin release with all 3 DLC areas), I'm intending to stick with it awhile longer, but my over-levelled character was no match for the new areas without going back to being very cautious. That's how it's supposed to be played, but with farming I'd managed to get my character to the point that most bosses were first-attempt kills with NPC phantoms' help. If it's not too frustrating I'll try and finish off the DLC too.

That said, it's only frustrating at all because I've had hours at this game now and it's time to try something different, brilliant game though.

kashell

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2017, 12:00:49 pm »
Bayonetta finished! That was a blast. I'll probably play part two much later.