Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2019  (Read 45867 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2019
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2019, 02:00:39 pm »
Currently working on game 54, and after that I'm considering taking a break from gaming for the remainder of the year. It's not that I'm burned out or anything, but seeing how I reached the 52 games goal I want to explore my other interests a little until around the new year. I typically get a lot of cool video game related gifts for Xmas so there's a chance I may squeeze in a couple more games before we get into 2020, but overall I can't see myself beating more than that after game 54 gets posted. In addition to that there are a few things I need to take care of that pertain to the holidays and end of year goals that I need to tend to.

Regardless, I'm going to hit the controller hard next year and I have every intent of reaching 52 games and beyond next year. Very excited about it already :D

telly

« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:28 pm »
I beat Pokemon Y last night, and may be able to beat a couple more games before the end of the year. Once I'm done with Hollow Knight I will probably boot up Shenmue III to finish that off.

Hollow Knight wise I just got the Monarch Wings and beat the boss in the Ancient Basin (I forget it's name)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

telly

« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2019, 08:39:44 am »
Game 18 - Pokemon Y (3DS) - 31 Hours

While I did enjoy playing this game, I think this was unfortunately my least favorite Pokemon game to date. I really enjoyed Sun/Moon and ORAS, but this version falls short in several aspects.

+ Like every Pokemon game, I enjoyed the standard mechanics of catching and raising a team of Pokemon, and this edition is no different. However, X/Y added a lot of upgrades that I really appreciated. Customizing your character was a welcome addition, the PSS and O-powers were really helpful, I used Super Training a fair amount, and Pokemon Amie was charming as always. This was the first game to really improve shiny hunting too, which was nice, and I messed around with the three main ones (chain fishing, Poke Radar, and Friend Safari). Graphically, I used to not like the way the game looked, but my opinion improved over time, I think the game actually looks quite nice. The music was also pretty solid, like with most Pokemon games.

- I have three main complaints. The first is the story, it was really underwhelming and anemic compared to Black and White. Team Flare might be the worst evil team ever introduced in a Pokemon game; for one thing, the basic grunts are super lame and boring. Lysandre's whole cause of "resetting the world because it's corrupt" schtick is not only cliche as hell but it makes absolutely NO SENSE because the world of Pokemon is basically as perfect a utopia as you could ask for. Pokemon worlds are so goody two-shoes like all of the time, so there was no conflict, competition for resources, nothing that would make me even begin to buy into what Lysandre was going on about. It also didn't make any sense to me that A-Z would build a machine to bring his Pokemon to life but simultaneously wipe out other Pokemon in the process. Felt kind of hypocritical to me. Secondly, the controls were not quite refined for my liking. You can only move fluidly with the roller skates, which makes you move too fast to handle tight spaces. So most of the time I would run around without the skates, which forces you to move in 8 directions only. Thankfully they fixed this in the later games, but this didn't fully get addressed until Sun/Moon. Lastly, the postgame basically has nothing. You get to go to one new town with a crappy battle facility and that's it. And there was one new cave with Mewtwo in it. Was really disappointing.

My final team:

McGonagall (Delphox) - Level 66
Rex (Gogoat) - Level 65
Hrimfaxi (shiny Cloyster) - Level 64
Raptor (Garchomp) - Level 63
Caladbolg (Doublade) - Level 67
Hawk Hana (Hawlucha) - Level 65
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:56:47 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2019, 04:09:43 am »
40 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PC 2019) - BEAT - Initially wasn't planning to get the game, but sorta last minute with some combined money I still had on the account and the Black Friday sale, I decided to jump into the game.  I wasn't really impressed with the game during beta, Ground War being the only mode I was interested in and it was a mess, but playing it here, they did seem to clean it up quite abit.  It's still sort of a mess, like it's basically knock off Battlefield and offers none of the substance that series does, but I'm finding myself alright with it.

Also ran through the campaign, which was just alright.  Like it's an absolute bog standard shooter campaign, it's really no different an experience from the first Modern Warfare game, they just polished it all to a very fine sheen.  Graphically it's fairly nice, gunplay feels abit better, and the story worked well enough to keep me engaged, but it's nothing great.  Only really beat it so I could unlock the Operators for multiplayer.

The multiplayer seems fine, and hopefully they keep up with the regular updates as Ground War is the only mode that interests me and I think there's only 4 maps for it right now.

telly

« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »
Game 19 - Hollow Knight (PS4) - 29 Hours

+ On the whole, this game was fantastic. The enemies, environments, sound design and music are absolutely gorgeous. The game has both creepy, scary, awe-inspiring and beautiful places for you to explore, and it was a treat getting to experience it all. The soundtrack was masterful and perfectly set the mood for the game. The gameplay and combat were both excellent, and provided the perfect amount of difficulty. The charms provided a deep and fun customization system, and it was fun to collect them and try out new ones. Lastly, the game had loads of replayability and secrets to discover. I finished at 79%, so there's still a lot that I could go back and try to figure out if I wanted to (will probably need a guide though because I heard this game's secrets are pretty obscure).

- That said, I have two things that I didn't really enjoy. I really didn't like the way the map system is implemented, especially how you can't update your map with areas you've visited until you've bought a map from the shop AND backtracked to a save bench. Plus you need the Wayward Compass to even see your position on the map. Some really poor design decisions if you ask me, and it made me have to backtrack to a lot of areas because I would miss an additional corridor or something while exploring. I also wasn't a huge fan of the narrative design. Most of the characters speak with a lot of heavy and haughty metaphorical jargon that makes it really hard to understand what's going on. I found the story of similar games like Ori to be far more fulfilling and comprehensible because it strikes a better balance between good writing while still clearly conveying the story to be told.

This might be because I was playing on PS4, but there were a couple significant glitches too. One of which I almost thought broke my save file. There was a locked door to Lurien in the City of Tears that didn't open even after I flipped the correct switch. Of course I didn't know that at the time, until I got stuck trying to find Lurien and had to look it up online, and at that point I had well saved over the glitch. I thought I had wasted 24 hours of gameplay when I started up a session one day and the door was magically open. Another time the Soul Master froze after I beat him and I had to reset the game to continue playing.
Currently Playing:

wolfen

« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:05 pm »
22. Luigi's Mansion 3(Switch)

It does a good job of staying grounded to the basics of the OG Luigi's Mansion while pushing the franchise into to a more puzzle/collectathon/adventure oriented game. Creative bosses, unique floors, and so many different styles of puzzles throughout the game kept it very fresh from beginning to end. I loved it a lot but I do wish it was just slightly more creepy like the first Luigi's Mansion. Still it's a great experience and I'm glad Nintendo has decided to put effort into Luigi for a change.

Time: 30 hours

23. Pokemon Shield(Switch)

I think it's the most innovative Pokemon game in a while. The amount of different Pokemon catchable in the wild is insane and I never was really bothered by not having every single Pokemon in the game. Dynamaxing, raid battles and all that stuff is pretty neat as well. Catching wild Pokemon is actually difficult in this game for once. I had to put in effort to catch everything I came across, it was nice to be challenged like that.

Time: 90 hours
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:56:25 pm by wolfen »

« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2019, 07:01:04 am »
Game 19 - Hollow Knight (PS4) - 29 Hours

+ On the whole, this game was fantastic. The enemies, environments, sound design and music are absolutely gorgeous. The game has both creepy, scary, awe-inspiring and beautiful places for you to explore, and it was a treat getting to experience it all. The soundtrack was masterful and perfectly set the mood for the game. The gameplay and combat were both excellent, and provided the perfect amount of difficulty. The charms provided a deep and fun customization system, and it was fun to collect them and try out new ones. Lastly, the game had loads of replayability and secrets to discover. I finished at 79%, so there's still a lot that I could go back and try to figure out if I wanted to (will probably need a guide though because I heard this game's secrets are pretty obscure).

After playing Hollow Knight it pretty easily became my GotY for 2017.  It's just one of those games that hit every single right note for me.  I got 103 or 104% completion - whatever was
max at the time.

- That said, I have two things that I didn't really enjoy. I really didn't like the way the map system is implemented, especially how you can't update your map with areas you've visited until you've bought a map from the shop AND backtracked to a save bench. Plus you need the Wayward Compass to even see your position on the map. Some really poor design decisions if you ask me, and it made me have to backtrack to a lot of areas because I would miss an additional corridor or something while exploring. I also wasn't a huge fan of the narrative design. Most of the characters speak with a lot of heavy and haughty metaphorical jargon that makes it really hard to understand what's going on. I found the story of similar games like Ori to be far more fulfilling and comprehensible because it strikes a better balance between good writing while still clearly conveying the story to be told.

Sounds like this is one of those different stroke for different folks things.  I liked pretty much each one of these - especially the Wayward Compass.  It was like a modular hard mode, similar to the destroyable checkpoints in Shovel Knight

This might be because I was playing on PS4, but there were a couple significant glitches too. One of which I almost thought broke my save file. There was a locked door to Lurien in the City of Tears that didn't open even after I flipped the correct switch. Of course I didn't know that at the time, until I got stuck trying to find Lurien and had to look it up online, and at that point I had well saved over the glitch. I thought I had wasted 24 hours of gameplay when I started up a session one day and the door was magically open. Another time the Soul Master froze after I beat him and I had to reset the game to continue playing.

That definitely sucks.  My playthrough was on Switch and I had zero bugs (well, aside from the game itself) as far as I can recall.

telly

« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2019, 10:20:50 am »

Sounds like this is one of those different stroke for different folks things.  I liked pretty much each one of these - especially the Wayward Compass.  It was like a modular hard mode, similar to the destroyable checkpoints in Shovel Knight

I could understand if people like the story, but I really wish the map system could have been better. Or maybe have it as a setting with the hard mode you unlock after beating the game.

It seems after looking stuff up online that I have a lot of extra content that I haven't done yet which I think you mentioned at one point regarding play time.
Currently Playing:

« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2019, 04:42:28 am »
41 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (PC 2019) - BEAT - The end of an era here, with Shovel Knight finally releasing it's last major DLC.  5 years since it's release and longer in development as it was my first Kickstarter game I supported.  Much like the last campaigns, it's not something entirely different, utilizing stuff from the main Shovel Knight campaign to create all new levels, while adding some new bosses, and having a new gameplay gimmick.  Plague Knight was the most drastic, with Spectre Knight having some pretty notable mobility.  King Knight fits more in between Spectre and Shovel, but also adds in the new "Joust" card game.  Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the card game part, but it's 100% optional to beat the game, so I'm glad they thought that through.  I've had fun with all the campaigns, with Shovel Knight being the best, then probably Spectre Knight, followed by King Knight, and then Plague Knight, just because his gameplay wasn't as fun as the others.

Overall, it's a great game and what Shovel Knight is now with the Treasure Trove is really an impressive package.  It's 4 story campaigns, each one with New Game +, a multiplayer battle mode, and tons of bonus extras.  If you like platformers, there is no way you won't love this game.

telly

« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2019, 02:24:48 pm »
Game 20 - InFamous: Second Son (PS4) - 14 hours

I played the first InFamous several years ago and I remember really enjoying it. Picked this game up used some months back and enjoyed it fairly well. It's got a lot of really good components carried over from the first game (from what I can remember anyway).

+ The gameplay is really great. You're given a lot of different powers and all of them are fun to use, even though you don't get to use concrete powers for very long. While the offensive powers are more or less the same, the movement options you are given with each power is fun to use. Seattle is really beautiful and looks a hell of a lot more vibrant and colorful than Empire City did. I really liked the sidequests with the spray paint can, it was a unique use of the Dualshock 4 controller. The game has a lot of extra content to keep you busy which is also nice. I got 100% completion on expert difficulty but there's still a lot that I could have done (I didn't get to level 5 karma, and obviously I could play the whole game again with evil karma too). I like how the enemies have their own powers to contend with instead of just having guns. The game overall was an enjoyable challenge. Lastly, the story wasn't really anything special, but was told decently enough.

- Wasn't the biggest fan of Delsin to be honest. He's kind of an arrogant tool if you ask me. Something about Troy Baker being the lead just sets it off for me because he's in so many other things. Most of the side missions were kind of boring too. It's mostly just find a certain objective and then either shoot it or pick it up (paint missions aside). That's about all I can think of.

This will probably be the last game of 2019. Pretty low showing this year, but I had several other priorities this year that took precedent. Was still able to play some awesome games this year. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:53:18 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2019, 08:12:44 pm »
I’ve been playing Knights of the Old Republic II for the first time in over at least a decade.  I’ve got it on Steam, so I used the Restored Content mod, so with the distance and new material it is like playing a new game.  It’s so freaking good, and deals with a lot of themes that the sequel trilogy struggles with.  I keep squirreling away to my office to get more play time.

« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »
I’ve been playing Knights of the Old Republic II for the first time in over at least a decade.  I’ve got it on Steam, so I used the Restored Content mod, so with the distance and new material it is like playing a new game.  It’s so freaking good, and deals with a lot of themes that the sequel trilogy struggles with.  I keep squirreling away to my office to get more play time.

Both KOTOR 1 and 2 are on my list next year to play. I haven't played KOTOR 2 since it first came out, but actually remember liking it more than KOTOR 1. Some of the best Star Wars we got outside the films at that time.

« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2019, 10:05:13 pm »
Part 7, and probably the final part of my reviews for this year

57. Gunblade NY (Wii): I played both Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns a few years ago on the Wii, but I never properly reviewed them, so here I am doing that. I didn't want to play anything too involved since my fiancee is great at giving me awesome games for Christmas every year. But anyhow, I never played Gunglade NY as a kid, not do I ever remember seeing it in any arcade I went to growing up. I don't think I was made aware of its existence until the compilation on the Wii including it and LA Machineguns was released. Gunblade NY is a balls to the wall arcade rail shooter in the same vein as Virtua Cop or Time Crisis, except there is no reloading, taking cover, or waiting for bad guys to pop up from behind desks and furniture. You literally just have your finger on the trigger the whole time blasting anything that gets in your way for the entire game while you fly around like a madman. The fast paced action is this games greatest asset, as its its great visuals for the time, as well as its destructible environments, and how enemies show physical damage as you pelt them with bullets. Speaking of the enemies, all are a variety of different military looking robots that explode after putting several bullets in them. There are also boss fights at the end of each level of of the two game stages. Boss fights are usually not that difficult however, nor is the game in general. While being able to constantly be shooting at everything is part of this games charm, it is also its greatest weakness; I found myself at times wondering what I was going to have for dinner, or when I had to meet people for Christmas in a couple of days given the task of just aiming and shooting at anything that moves. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very fun game, but like many arcade style shooting games of the 90s, its a pretty shallow experience that can become mundane after a while. Luckily the game can be beat in around 20-minutes so it never feels like it overstays its welcome. The graphics are very impressive for a game, arcade or otherwise, released in 1995, and the soundtrack has that unmistakable Sega Rock/Techno sound that many other Sega arcade games from early and mid 90s had. It's absolutely a trip down memory lane, even if I never played this game growing up. The end result is one of the best, most fun arcade shooting games I've ever played, even if it suffers from same repetition and monotony of games from that genre. (12/23/19) [37/50]

58. LA Machineguns (Wii): Unlike Gunblade NY, I did actually grow up playing LA Machineguns as a kid, and it was one of my favorites at the arcade in the late 90s. Out local Dave and Busters actually had a machine for it up until probably 3 or 4 years ago, no doubt because of how much of a draw it was, and how much fun it was to play. The gameplay is more or less the same as Gunblade NY, except there are fewer levels to go through, but the levels that are available are a bit longer, so the amount of time it takes to get through it is roughly the same. There are also innocent civilians you have to try and avoid shooting, and like good guy NPCs in other lightgun arcade games "accidentally" shooting them comes with a penalty. Luckily in LA Machineguns its just a point deduction and not your health which was something that always sucked in games like House of the Dead or Virtua Cop. Having been released 3 years after Gunblade NY, LA Machineguns is a much better looking game than its predecessor, and with that comes much more vibrant stages, cooler looking enemies and bosses, and cooler destructable objects within the environment. The soundtrack is also a bit better, and also shares that amazing 90s Sega arcade sound. Despite having more nostalgia for LA Machinegun, I actually find myself liking this game about the same as Gunblade NY; LA Machineguns is a prettier game and the OST gets me more pumped, but Gunblade NY doesn't having the annoying NPCs to contend with and gets originality points for being the first to adopt this sort of balls to the wall, giant gun arcade gameplay. Their both amazing arcade shooters, and the compilation on the Wii that includes both is a must have for 90s Sega arcade fans. (12/23/19) [37/50]

59. Nights into Dreams (PS2): Very few people outside Japan realize that Nights into Dreams received a PS2 port back in the day. Not only that, but it includes both the original Sega Saturn version as well as a visually remastered version that looks significantly better. I received Nights into Dreams on the Saturn over the summer so if you want to know what I think about the game in more depth go find that review somewhere in here lol. This is pretty much the definitive edition of Nights as it includes both the mentioned versions, a movie mode where you can rewatch all the cut scenes, as well as the ability to unlock a remastered version Christmas Nights, a game I'd never played until today. All it is is a Christmas themed mod for the first Elliot and Clarise stages, which is very novel and nice, but outside everything getting a coat of Christmas themed paint, nothing is different about the gameplay. One thing that disappointed me about Christmas Nights is the boss for both character stages are the exact same; it seemed like a missed opportunity to not reskin the fat opera singer lady you have to inappropriate grab and then throw into a giant Santa. But regardless it's a charming addition that really makes this a very nice package for anyone who loves this game and has find memories for it as I do. In the end however, I would barely rate the Saturn version higher, mostly because of how big a deal that game was when it came out, and also for it looking visually impressive for a game released in 1996. The remastered version of Nights looks great for the standards of the time it was released, but unfortunately it no longer had that visual awe that the original had back in its day. (12/25/19) [40/50]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:47:48 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2019, 12:13:51 am »
39 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC 2019) - BEAT - I'm really happy for this game existing, as it definitely is up there as one of the better pieces of Star Wars media they've released in quite a long time, no matter how you view the movies, because what we have here is a real quality, beginning to end story, that doesn't feel like it's trying to be like anything that came before, or relying on nostalgia to sell it with established characters.  Everyone you interact with is a pretty good character really and pretty well done.  Both Cameron Monaghan and Debra Wilson do real well for their characters though they got her character model abit off in game, which makes her look sorta bug-eyed, when it's not that noticeable in real life and she actually looked better in her short appearance in the recent Call of Duty game.  Greez and the other characters were good too as it's not a huge cast, but there wasn't anyone who felt off or out of place.

That said, I think the best way I've seen the game described is one reviewers tagline of "Perfect Star Wars.  Imperfect Game." It's a sloppy game.  Performance, gameplay, it's all over the map.  Frame drops, pop-in, lots of performance stuff going wrong that even with patches and me figuring out how to make the frame stutters stop, it's still not the best.  Gameplay is okay, I like that it's trying to be Dark Souls mixed with Tomb Raider, but the gameplay isn't nearly as tight as what the Souls games do and there's notable issues with it, like tracking with the lunging heavy attack is awful.  I've probably missed with that attack over a few dozen times at least because the guy or creature shifted slightly to the left lol  Exploration is fun in that Tomb Raider/Uncharted way and I like opening up shortcuts and with this being a singleplayer game with no microtransactions, there's always some customization options to find for Cal, BD-1, and The Mantis.

It's not the best game ever, but it's a real fun Star Wars game and hopefully they'll make a sequel because I really want to see them improve on all the problems the game has, expanding customization, and maybe having more worlds to explore, especially ones with like towns you can visit.  I think that's the next step for these games.

« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2019, 01:32:44 am »
I adored Jedi Fallen Order, and found way less faults with the gameplay, but I do agree that it is a better piece of Star Wars than a game. I beat it several weeks ago, but still contemplated replaying it this last week because of how much fun I had with it. I really hope the quality of story telling and writing in this game, as well as Mando, is where the franchise is headed post Rise of Skywalker. It's hands down the best Star Wars game I've ever played, which is saying a lot!