Author Topic: How Did VGcollect Start Off? How Were Things When This Site Was Newer?  (Read 3879 times)

tpugmire

Re: How Did VGcollect Start Off? How Were Things When This Site Was Newer?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 10:08:50 am »
Vgcollect was started in the spring of 2011 by two friends, Matt and Scott. I was among the first to sign up, and I put in a lot of work cleaning up the initial database. By the fall of 2011, I became the first staff member. We really started to grow in 2012, but we had a series of server issues that ended up deleting a lot of work, and causing some people to leave. Matt got it sorted out, and made sure backups were being kept in case of future issues. In 2013, we moved to new forum software, that’s why you see the most users on that date, people wanted to check out the new stuff. I forget exactly when, but during part of this, Matt started his own business so he didn’t really have the time to devote to the site anymore. Scott also left to do other things. By default, I sort of ran things for a while and Matt and I actually talked about the possibility of me becoming the official leader. I was reluctant to do so, because I’m not a programmer, and I’d have to find someone to do most of the work for me. Matt’s friend, Jason was brought in to be the new programmer, and I became more of an idea guy. My role here has changed over the years because real life gets in the way now and then, but I love this place as much now as I did when I started. The community is awesome, and I’ve made some great friends, several of whom I’ve actually travelled to meet, and DashV even surprised me by flying in from California and showing up to my birthday party a couple months ago.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

telly

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:17 am »
I'm one of the many people who joined because of the video MJR made about the site. I made my first account in October of 2014, and this is my third account (since I couldn't change my new username I deleted my two old accounts and made this one with my current name).

There are plenty of users that I've connected with both on and off the site visit Facebook even. Through podcast episodes and 3 secret Santa's now, I'm glad to be a part of such an awesome community :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 09:29:51 pm »
Ive been here for quite a while too. Community wise, its one of the ones I prefer to chat with the most.

When it was newer, there was a lot of different people than are here now ... but for the most part, its pretty much still the same. Just less brown sauce.

desocietas

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 11:09:11 pm »
Just less brown sauce.

oh gawd no, lol
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »
There’s an ebb and flow to the community here. It’s been awesome at times and it’s been BADASS at times!

Just less brown sauce.

oh gawd no, lol

We really need more brown sauce

ffxik

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 09:11:54 pm »
I joined in Dec 2011.  I was looking for a site to catalog my collection.  I was using The Backloggery but that thing was a pain to use. Having to type out every game one at a time.  I was looking for something quick with an ease of adding and sorting and here I made my home.

The community here has always been great with very few, instigators I'll call them.  I have always had great interactions with the people here whether it be just chatting or business.  Less so now since I don't get on that much.  I do try to stop by from time to time just to see what's happening though.

On a side note the Hardware and Tech section was me.  That phrase "Bought a broken Intellivision on eBay" is what set that off.  I never did get it working.

There’s an ebb and flow to the community here. It’s been awesome at times and it’s been BADASS at times!

Just less brown sauce.

oh gawd no, lol

We really need more brown sauce

I'm with desocietas.  We don't need the brown sauce.   :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:14:54 pm by ffxik »

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 10:26:39 pm »
PARTIAL QUOTE FROM ffxik
On a side note the Hardware and Tech section was me.  That phrase "Bought a broken Intellivision on eBay" is what set that off.  I never did get it working.

Yea I posted a great deal in the Hardware and Tech since I started on here in early 2017, and I even think I can across your post. :)

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 12:40:57 pm »
Now if I could just find the VGCollect counterpart for comics and movies...

For comicbooks and related material try Comic Book Realm.

Don't know any for movies, but a quick Google search netted me DVD Corral, although the site seems to be inactive.

Hope that helps.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

mark1982

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 02:30:31 am »
I saw this thread and decided to check my join date. 2013... geez, kinda crazy how time flies.

I still remember using Gamespot for my collection catalogue, they had a pretty decent setup back then too. Owned games, wishlist, now playing list. But after they revamped their site that whole section disappeared, I remember I was pretty upset about it too since I put a lot of work into it and they didn't have a back up system. Then I found this place.  :D

I still wish there was a "Now Playing" tab for me to keep track of the games that I still need to play in my backlog.

I really like the community here as well too, even though the forums are bit slow compared to other message boards that I visit and lurk mainly for news. I find the people here are more down to earth and more positive when it comes to this hobby, also for the joy of collecting and playing games the community here is great.
  l    l 

kypherion

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 11:09:14 am »
I showed up March 30, 2017 after a good friend of mine told me about this site. I've enjoyed it ever since and adding games to the database or my own collection is really easy.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 07:07:56 pm »
I started using VG Collect, I think around 2015. Maybe 2016.  I was just getting into heavy video game collecting and I needed a database to keep track of what I had and didn't have. So I found a different catelog site that had limits on how much you could put into your collection without paying.  It made you pay to breathe. It was a big scam and it didn't even have many games because it didn't have the community this site had.

When I first joined I never knew of the forums, I thought it was just a cateloging site. But than I started seeing many awesome posts and decided to join in the discussions with people.  My first post was about Prince's death being caused by the illuminati because he spoke out on chem trails.

I met a lot of awesome people.  For some reason it seemed more busy back than.  I noticed a few regulars stopped using. But many new members joined, like Kypherion and Seether.  So I guess it evened out.  :)

I love this site very much, it is a inviting environment with accepting forum mods and admins.