Author Topic: Do you replay games? & What do you think about game length?  (Read 1278 times)

Do you replay games? & What do you think about game length?
« on: January 11, 2020, 11:16:31 am »
When I had lots of free time for games I would complete them easily in a weekend and always felt a bit disappointed with the length. Also found that I didn’t want to go back to many single player campaigns after finishing.

I don’t like to spend $60 on an 8 hour campaign, have it over quickly and need to go back to the store to offload it again.

I would always say my favourite genre was open world RPG because not only are they inherently meaty long games, but they are non-linear so can differ on repeat play throughs and you can make different choices to affect missions or factions and of course use a totally different character build. So there’s layers on top of layers of longevity to them.

I really look for longevity in my games now. I want non-linear games with replay value. Or perhaps an infinitely replay able horde mode where you’re in it for the fun gameplay and not the story that you only really want to hear once.

I want the games on my shelves to be ones that I can pick up any time and have a fun time with regardless of how many times I’ve played them before.

I want choices, emergent gameplay, random events, variables, loot, customisation, options, a living world, fun core gameplay and loop

pzeke

Re: Do you replay games? & What do you think about game length?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:54:12 am »
Yeah, I replay my games until 100% completion. Or if the game was fun, I'll try it in the hardest difficulty. However, as much as I end up liking a game, once I'm done I'm done, and move on to a new one. I've certainly returned to previously played and finished games due to nostalgic reasons, though.

There are times where I don't feel like doing a 100% play-through, so I'll finish the main story, "leave it to the side", and return to it later to complete it properly.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »
As I've gotten older, I'd started preferring games that are shorter in length- I don't have the free time to really devote to 100-hour epics anymore if I want to play more than a handful of games a year. Right around the 20 hour mark is the sweet spot- something I can finish in a week during after-work play sessions.

I'll still do a long form game- I enjoy the storylines & such even today, I just can only fit one or two into a year anymore.

For the most part, the games that get replayed the most are ones with the ability to drop in & out in very short bursts- and usually the ones with no clear endings. Rhythm and puzzle games, for example. I try to play games I'm actively looking to finish for a couple hours at a time, but sometimes I don't have that long. If I know I've only got an hour or so, and I NEED to be done or I'll be late for something, that's when the casual stuff comes out. After all, an hour is about a dozen tracks in a rhythm game, and I can be pretty sure of when I can save & quit, so no worries about losing progress. It's a good way to get in a gaming fix on a tight schedule!

kashell

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »
As long as the pacing is on point, I don't mind the length. While I still prefer something shorter, long games can feel short if there's enough momentum.

I try to replay favorites when I'm not feeling in the mood for anything brand new. Lately, the stuff that gets replayed are quick romps like Mega Man. RPGs that I want to replay take a bit more time, but not as much from the first time since I already know I'm doing.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 12:46:20 pm »
Short games for the win.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 04:57:07 pm »
I play games for as long as I feel like playing them. If they're good enough then I'll play them all the way through. i typically don't do side missions and extra content unless I really, really like a game. If a game is shorter I'm more likely to be more lenient if it's bad or mediocre, and see it to the end. For longer games like RPGs I'll give the game 5-10 hours and if I'm not sold on it I'll stop playing by then.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 09:59:35 pm »
I replay games all the time, because it can be frustrating sometimes to play a game for the first time. As for length I prefer long games for First Person Shooters and Open world games. and short games when it comes to Shooting em ups and both 2D and 3D Platform video games.

I am not much of a fan of any Platform or shoot em up video game with limited lives, and prefer a short platform video games IF the game has a life and a continue limit.

PS I really really suck at all platforming types of video games
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:01:34 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 12:39:29 am »
Not as much as I used to, mainly because of an engorged backlog plus a lack of free time.

Nowadays, what gets me to replay a game is when the next game (or other major related media) comes out and I want to re-experience everything to that new point first, or if the game releases on another system, allowing me to hit all those achievements/trophies again (for example, I've completed Skyrim on 3 different systems).

What's funny though is that I still make almost all the same choices on the replays. For example, I've played through Mass Effect around 6-8 times, and while sometimes I've taken Kaiden and others Ashley, I've never killed Wrex or the Rachni Queen.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 03:00:59 am »
When a game is over 30 hours long I tend not to re-play it for a long time.
If the game is rather short however, (~8 hours) like the Resident Evil 2 remake I'll be much more likely to do everything and re-play the game several times.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 03:20:42 am »
Depends on the game.  I love going back to Fallout usually every year or so, Fallout 4 most of the time now.  I've replayed the first two Metro games probably 3 or 4 times each.  STALKER series has seen some regular replay.  I don't replay tons of stuff, it has to have a certain feeling for me, usually being able to play it another way helps the replay value. Brutal Legend is another I've replayed through a few times.

Game length is varied for me.  I love games that I can invest time into, such as I dumped 100 hours into Death Stranding and I have 220 in Fallout 4 and I got almost 400 hours in Monster Hunter World.  But I can also enjoy short games, like the first run through Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7 were maybe 10 to 13 hours, but they also have good replay value.  I don't mind spending 60 bucks on games lke them. 

Games I'm less inclined to buy full price are like...Last of Us, Uncharted, kinda shorter, more narrative driven/linear experiences.  Not that they aren't good, but the gameplay isn't usually the best, they don't have any replay value in terms of offering something different in a new run, and having gone through the story, another run doesn't sound as fun.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 05:02:12 pm »
Believe it or not mostly all sports games late 16-bit era and later have a TON of replay value/ especially EA Sports game in mid to late term 6th console generation, first off, NHL FIFA, NBA. NCCA NFL MLB  games during this era have tons of different teams and even multi year seasons modes. where you can play the games for every game in a simulated life like season. If were talking length I never completed any of these 10-30 simulated year seasons on NHL or FIFA, NBA, NCCA, NFL MLB not to mention racing games and golf games as well. I know people complain a lot about spots games but I'm not one of them. but I even though I have a lot of NFL games I don't play them because I don't know how to win at them.

But the early 8-bit and 16 bit sports games are ok I guess but they are just pick up and play games, some of them didn't even include a season mode, but they did include a playoff mode so.

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 01:56:37 pm »
All the time. Length doesn't matter. I'll replay open-world RPGs, as well as NES games that take an hour to beat.