Author Topic: What Do You Think Is The Reason Why Most Sports Games Are Frowned Upon?  (Read 3775 times)

I know there is a bunch of sports video game related threads now, and not everyone frowns upon them. Or else companies would not make them still. But why do you think is the reason why it seems most people prefer other genres than the sports games.

Is it because most of them are too difficult to win at or play? because a lot of them are vary difficult. Maybe a lot of people already played sports games till they got sick of them? I enjoy them but sometimes I do get frustrated with some of them because after all most sports game are quite difficult.

this may sound crazy but does anyone have a complete set?  for example, I think I got every single EA Sports Golf Game from the first one (1990) for Sega Genesis till all the way till the Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2013 games on PlayStation 1,2 & 3
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:16:25 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

I think it's a simple case of volume- a new sports title releases annually to cover roster changes, but there's very little difference in graphics/mechanics. For those who aren't already invested in sports titles, it seems like a terrible waste to spend $60 on a new game with a DLC pack's worth of new content- not to mention a great way to fragment the online player base.

Most other long-running titles switch things up enough between games to avoid this issue, but you can find ones that don't really do much, & get the same flak. Dynasty Warriors comes immediately to mind.

I'm going to second that, but add my 2 cents. The sheer volume is overwhelming and can get frustrating in some shops where most of the games on shelf are just old sports titles and almost nothing else. It feels so demoralizing if you're looking for anything else. Also yeah, in this day and age just update your game. Don't make a new one each year.

not to mention a great way to fragment the online player base

That's why they also shut down the servers and support for the older titles,  so the people that enjoy multiplayer are basically forced to get the latest version.

sworddude

not to mention a great way to fragment the online player base

That's why they also shut down the servers and support for the older titles,  so the people that enjoy multiplayer are basically forced to get the latest version.

forced is a big word to be honest

Let's talk about fifa for example if a new example comes out the main stream public is all over the newest release. Last year game is trash I have seen that to many times, there is a reason why sports games devalue to pretty much nothing from 60 to 3$ in bins in if the next yearly release comes out. If the mainstream public was different I think supports would have been a bit longer aside that such games have support for at least a few years wich is plenty since most people have moved on if a new release has come especially after just a few years.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

Pretty much what hoshichiri and baileykun said. There are too many of these suckers around. The only use I've ever found for them was hoarding their cases for replacement purposes - I actually bought at least two wholesale lots of some PS2 football games for dirt cheap on eBay years ago just for the cases. The rest was trashed.

Personally, I've never been able to get into sports games; and by that meaning basketball, baseball, football, and such. The only sports I've ever liked and have been involved with in real life are bowling and wrestling, but that still wasn't enough for me to like their virtual ilk. Granted, I was sort of addicted to Wii bowling back in the day, but I guess most everyone was at the time.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

They are essentially throw away games. They are sought after and bought the year they get released, and maybe the year after, bt essentially after that no one wants them because their roster is out dated. While there are minor changes to gameplay from year to year, with major changes every 4 or 5 years, people are buying the games for the roster updates and little more. As a result these things are everywhere and you literally cannot give them away; I game store I used to go to sold titles over 3-years olf for 50-cents and still couldn't move them.

As a collector it is annoying to come across them all the time.

telly

I feel like the more silly sports games have fallen by the wayside too. NBA Jam, NFL/NBA street, and all the great xtreme sports games like SSX and Tony Hawk  :'(
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pzeke

I feel like the more silly sports games have fallen by the wayside too. NBA Jam, NFL/NBA street, and all the great xtreme sports games like SSX and Tony Hawk  :'(

I like those types of games, they have an arcade feel to them. While yes, they are sports games, they are tolerable. I used to have the first four THPS games and enjoyed them, and I loved NBA Jam back in the day. I dabble with racing games, and think snowboarding games like SSX are good. Standard sports games is what I particularly don't care a smidgen for.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

I like those types of games, they have an arcade feel to them. While yes, they are sports games, they are tolerable. I used to have the first four THPS games and enjoyed them, and I loved NBA Jam back in the day. I dabble with racing games, and think snowboarding games like SSX are good. Standard sports games is what I particularly don't care a smidgen for.

I gotta admit I don't really see much appeal in modern sports video games but. I do enjoy going back and playing the outdated rosters of a lot of 5th and 6th generation sports video game games, my favorite retro sports games are Extreme, Basketball and Ice Hockey at the moment. However I do not know how to play any Madden football video games since I don't know any american football strategy.

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Do You Think Is The Reason Why Most Sports Games Are Frowned Upon?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 01:42:43 pm »
NBA Street is my favorite sports games and in my top 20 for that generation.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 02:05:26 pm »
They're kind of like games that are based off of licensed movie IPs, they're made to appeal to a particular demographic, in this case fans of professional sports and they are essentially sports simulations. Each year, there are several released based on the very same sport. Like 3 football games, 5 basketball games, 4 baseball games, etc, and they're all very much alike in their game-play. They were made for fans of a particular league of sporting events. Most gamers don't really buy them, so they start to pile up and become really worthless over the years.

I actually do like sports games, but I like arcade style or casual sports games that are more consistent with the principles of action based game-play than actual sports. For example, NBA Jam, 1080 Snowboarding, Wii Sports, or Punch-Out!

Collectors get tired of seeing these licensed sporting games pile up in place of the kind of games they actually want to find. Everyone knows the frustration of hoping for that next gem, and coming across a picture of John Madden's stupid face.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:07:02 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:05:32 am »

Collectors get tired of seeing these licensed sporting games pile up in place of the kind of games they actually want to find. Everyone knows the frustration of hoping for that next gem, and coming across a picture of John Madden's stupid face.

The thing I really don't like about any Madden game is needing to memorize the real life coaching strategy just to win.  If, you do not know american football in both playing and coaching. You probably won't be good at any EA Sports Madden game.

But if you ever saw my collection it's not a lie. That I have a whole lot of Madden Football games but have no idea how to play them properly
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:07:24 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

soera

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 08:33:39 am »
Also yeah, in this day and age just update your game. Don't make a new one each year.

I dont think I could add anymore to this thread than just quoting this. Exactly how I feel.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 08:40:24 am »

Arcade-style sports games have aged much better than the more “realistic” sports games. I love NBA Jam, NBA Hangtime, Super Baseball 2020, Baseball Stars, and SSX Tricky (SSX 3 got TOO realistic and made me lose interest in the franchise...but I digress...).

The problem with the realistic sports games is, not only are there mere incremental improvements from year to year, but all those improvements add up to make it a much more realistic experience, rendering the versions from years ago obsolete in more ways than just the roster.

I’ve never been a fan of actually playing realistic-style sports games, but I do enjoy team management. I had a blast with All-Star Baseball 2004, where I would simulate games and make roster adjustments. Albert Pujols made a name for himself playing for my Austin Outlaws before becoming a superstar in real life :D