Author Topic: Question / Suggestion on EU entries of the games  (Read 1361 times)

Question / Suggestion on EU entries of the games
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:19:53 pm »
Hi everyone,

I noticed that there are many entries labelled EU but in the actual page there's only the name, the amazon price of the game and a front cover.

From my experience is very rare that there is just one global EU version for a game, so uploading an entry like that is misleading and incorrect more often than not (and useless).

Wouldn't it be better to make some mandatory fields in the submission page (item number and barcode i.e.)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: typos

EDIT2: example: https://vgcollect.com/item/89484
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:01:03 pm by miglioshin »

Agozer

Re: Question / Suggestion on EU entries of the games
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:43:31 pm »
The problem with making those fields mandatory is that some games do not have an item number or a proper barcode (yes, it can happen, especially with older/obscure games) or someone wanting to add a game to his/her collection doesn't have the original box anymore (yes, even more shocking from a collector's point of view).

I personally would like to see "fully fleshed out" entries across the board, but hey, it is what it is. Do your best to fill out what's missing, as long as the information is accurate. This is very much needed for the EU categories.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:13:20 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:59:50 pm »
The problem with making those fields mandatory is that some games do not have an item number or a proper barcode (yes, it can happen, especially with older/obscure games) or someone wanting to add a game to his/her collection doesn't have the original box anymore (yes, even more shocking from a collector's point of view).

Interesting.
Atari cartridges comes to mind speaking of this.

I personally would like to see "fully fleashed out" entries across the board, but hey, it is what it is. Do your best to fill out what's missing, as long as the information is accurate. This is very much needed for the EU categories.

Yes, EU market is a mess and very complicated to sort out.

Looking at my collection (started in 1995) this sounds daunting LOL, they're quite all italian versions (only a small part are actually multi 3 or multi 5), I'll have to submit A LOT of entries before seeing my collection completely uploaded T_T

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 11:13:33 am »
Our default for EU games are:
1. European English release
2. UK release

So a game that has no TLD on it will be one of those. Games only get to have [UK] on the title if there is a European English release. If a game is in the DB with no information like that, the information from the version released in England should be put onto that entry.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 08:47:56 am »
Our default for EU games are:
1. European English release
2. UK release

So a game that has no TLD on it will be one of those. Games only get to have [UK] on the title if there is a European English release. If a game is in the DB with no information like that, the information from the version released in England should be put onto that entry.

I assumed that, the only instance I submitted an edit is when I found matching barcode (if it was already present)

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 09:27:08 am »
It can depend on the history of the item entry. If the barcode was put onto the entry when it was created, we will honor that as being what the entry should be. If the barcode was added later, say in the example of a game with no TLD, someone went and put onto the entry a barcode for some version of the game that is not the English version, then we would remove the barcode.

And remember. The TLD is only needed for game titles that have different releases in other countries. If you happen upon a game that has a localised title, and that game was not release with that title in other countries, it wouldn't need the TLD. For example, a game that was released in Poland that got a Polish language title wouldn't need [PL] in the name because it wouldn't have been released with that title anywhere else. In these cases, it can be noted in the description field where the game was released.