Author Topic: Free Morrowind from Bethesda Store  (Read 1644 times)

mastodon

Free Morrowind from Bethesda Store
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:34:44 pm »
I came across this today. Free Morrowind DL until 3/31/19. Some 25th anniversary. It does require DL the Besthesda Launcher. Enjoy.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/25/18280778/morrowind-free-elder-scrolls-25th-anniversary

Re: Free Morrowind from Bethesda Store
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:21:24 pm »
Probably won't play it, but I'll always take free.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:14:19 am »
Morrowind is, in my opinion, the best of the Elder Scrolls games. The graphics are definitely dated now, but there are texture mods available that make them more bearable.

hexen

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:59:11 pm »
Morrowind is, in my opinion, the best of the Elder Scrolls games. The graphics are definitely dated now, but there are texture mods available that make them more bearable.

I'll take you one further. Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. it's the perfect mix of deep RPG elements and interesting character builds from the older that the newer games lack, but with a expertly crafted and creative world and quests that the older series didn't have. And that is just in the context of Elder Scroll games, with very few notable exceptions there hasn't been an RPG close to it in probably a decade.

It's got that old school clunkyness with some of the combat mechanics, and obviously the graphics are outdated, but these things should absolutley be tolerated for the deep experience within. I personally don't give a single crap about the graphics being old, 90% of the best games ever are older than at least 5 years (and probably more like 10), but if graphics are your thing there are mod mods to upgrade as snyderec mentioned. As for some of the old-school gameplay... I can understand if some people will be put off by it, thought there are many mods to improve a lot of functions of it. Just because I love to state this controversial opinion anytime I have context to do it - Wither 3's combat system is absolute garbage and it's considered a masterpiece, and Morrowind is 10x deeper mechanically.

Morrowind is an experience and missing out on it due to it's older systems or graphics is an absolute shame, especially when it's free.

TL;DR:
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:16:46 pm »
Witcher 3's combat system is absolute garbage..

I think everything about The Witcher 3 is pretty great other than the combat.  It's tolerable in some one on one fights, but I pushed myself to beat the game and even after 70 hours of playing, I was still absolutely not confident with that gameplay.   Didn't help that they added a better camera setup too in an update towards my end time with the game, which was a noticeable improvement.  I was always surprised that more people weren't annoyed with the combat like me.  Felt like I was just missing something, like it never clicked.

That said, maybe I'll give Morrowind a shot once I got some more free time and not swamped with new games.  I do love modding the crap out of a game if I can.  It's why I've played the Fallout games as much as I have.

mastodon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:25:31 pm »

I'll take you one further. Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. it's the perfect mix of deep RPG elements and interesting character builds from the older that the newer games lack, but with a expertly crafted and creative world and quests that the older series didn't have. And that is just in the context of Elder Scroll games, with very few notable exceptions there hasn't been an RPG close to it in probably a decade.

It's got that old school clunkyness with some of the combat mechanics, and obviously the graphics are outdated, but these things should absolutley be tolerated for the deep experience within. I personally don't give a single crap about the graphics being old, 90% of the best games ever are older than at least 5 years (and probably more like 10), but if graphics are your thing there are mod mods to upgrade as snyderec mentioned. As for some of the old-school gameplay... I can understand if some people will be put off by it, thought there are many mods to improve a lot of functions of it. Just because I love to state this controversial opinion anytime I have context to do it - Wither 3's combat system is absolute garbage and it's considered a masterpiece, and Morrowind is 10x deeper mechanically.

Morrowind is an experience and missing out on it due to it's older systems or graphics is an absolute shame, especially when it's free.

TL;DR:

Man, i did play a TON of Morrowind on Xbox. I did find the pc version later on. I thought the map builder/editor was cool.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 08:20:21 am »

Ditto.  And honestly, the main reason I won't play it is because it would require *yet another* launcher.  If it were Steam or GOG I'd probably start like next week.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 03:37:55 pm »

Ditto.  And honestly, the main reason I won't play it is because it would require *yet another* launcher.  If it were Steam or GOG I'd probably start like next week.

Only reason I have the launcher is because I used it for the disastrous Fallout 76 beta lol