Author Topic: Fortnite Physical Copy is it worth buying for your collection.  (Read 3380 times)

theflea

Okay, I've seen for a long time that people want over $80-$100 for a Physical copy of Fortnite. (the original copy, like pictured above)
The physical version is rare and today my local used game store got in a copy for PS4. They claimed it still played the Campaign mode.
My friend had points to get a discount so I added it to his sale and I got the game for about $40.

Why would I buy this? Mainly I wanted to see what this game would do if I put it in my console today. Is it worth the $80+ people are asking online for it or are they ripping people off.
I get the game home and test it out, it asks if I want to update and I say no, I wanted to see what it does without any update.
It loaded up with an old loading and title screen then when I pressed start. It told me I had to update the game. (Fine)
So after a long 20GB update, it changes to the season 9 titles and loading screens and loads up fine. I choose Campaign - Save The World
Seeing if it would start up.... and it tells me I need to pay $40 to play the game.
So I paid $40 for a physical disc to pay another $40 to play the game. lol

Multiplayer of course works but its a free to play anyway. Basically this disc turns Fortnite into where you have to put this stupid disc in to system to start playing it. That's all it does. So yes it's a rip off like I thought. The only reason to buy this "dead game" is to complete a PS4 collection. I'm tempted on returning the game because it doesn't work but also kinda like owning it in my collection, as a warning to other collector's.

I knew the game was free to download and play online, But I always heard mixed things about the physical copy of the game.
Some people think it worth something because you can play in the original campaign. Thinking it's on the disc. But from What I tested it's not so. Unless you just want to see the OG loading screens and title screen. lol
If anyone knows a way to use this disc for anything let me know. Otherwise it just looks nice with the rest on my collection on the shelf.
lol  :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:54:03 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Flashback2012

Re: Fortnite Physical Copy is it worth buying for your collection.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 12:15:47 am »
From what I understand there's two different games, the Fortnite Battle Royale which is the free-to-play version of the game and then there's the campaign game 'Save the World' or something that you have to pay for. My friend was a player of STW for the longest time and never played the BR version. In the STW version you're working with players against zombies and have to build/craft stuff to prevent/slow down the incursions whereas everyone is familiar with the BR version being a last man standing.

Funny enough, I picked up the XB1 version of the Deep Freeze Bundle at the flea market for $5 because it had a physical disc inside. The skin is most likely used but I figured $5 for the disc version is fair. Before the Deep Freeze Bundle came out, I remember seeing the original release for XB1 at a used game store and they wanted $35 (this was just as it was starting to take off). I bought the used version more as a stick-it-to Epic.  :P

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:16:29 am »
I guess if you're going for a complete collection which.. seems like a bad idea for PS4 given all of the limited games out there.

I wonder if they are ever making that mode free-to-play like it was supposed to be.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 05:21:29 am »
What makes the game expensive isn't the game itself, it's the DLC codes included.

It's the same with most popular multiplayer games; People want the exclusive items and are willing to pay for them. And the value is increased even further when the items are non-transferrable, like with Fortnite or Overwatch. This is because for a newer player, the only way to get the item(s) is to hunt down an unused code and redeem it, further reducing the supply. I've got plenty of older promotional items from Team Fortress 2 where the item is currently worth more than whatever it was bundled with.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:23:41 am by emporerdragon »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 07:09:02 am »
I would hold off Flea.  You know in a few years you'll find it for a buck at the flea market :)

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:14:14 am »
I would hold off Flea.  You know in a few years you'll find it for a buck at the flea market :)

From the wording, it appears he already purchased it.  :P

I remember when the Deep Freeze Bundle came out and reading how some illiterate Karens were buying the Switch version (which only contains a slip of paper) complaining there was no game inside. I've seen it on the GameStop subreddit where they've had to deal with these people and a local buddy actually had someone in store where he had to explain this to them before they tried to purchase it. Seems deceptive on Epic's part to package it like a physical release when a card with a scratch-off code would have completely sufficed but I figured they knew what they were doing and banking on those uninformed.  :-\

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 01:25:15 pm »
Thank goodness I have negative interest in Fortnite or going for a full set of PS4 games. Reminds me when I bought Castlevania Lords of Shadow Collection; it's essentially just the original release of Lords of Shadow and literally everything else is a DLC code that comes with the game. I bought it used and of course all the DLC was redeemed so I essentially got a cover variant of Lords of Shadow :/

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:49:13 pm »
It might be worth holding onto simply for the fact that the game will likely be unplayable years from now. All that will be left is these discs to prove it existed.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 12:44:54 am »
It might be worth holding onto simply for the fact that the game will likely be unplayable years from now. All that will be left is these discs to prove it existed.

Doesn't even need to be years. Minecraft: Story Mode's got less then a day before all the downloadable episodes are wiped from the servers.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 01:04:51 am »
I thought about buying this before the Fortine frenzy took over. The guy at the store told me don't buy it, it's free to play. So I didn't. Also never played it. Of course the item I decline in buying would become a collector's trophy.

mark1982

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:06 pm »
If you're going for a full PS4 set then sure why not.

Personally I stay away from these multiplayer online only games, let alone physical versions. Probably end up as a drink coaster in a few years just like that PS3 game MAG.

But in the end I suppose it's an interesting collector's piece since Fornite is the bees knees these days amongst the youth.
  l    l 

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 12:42:07 pm »
Like a few others have said: the base Fortnite game, which is not the Battle Royale mode is actually playable in solo mode, and as far as I’m aware, is what actually makes this version of the game worth something.