Author Topic: swaping rom chips in gameboy games from different regions  (Read 6610 times)

swaping rom chips in gameboy games from different regions
« on: June 26, 2019, 09:07:10 am »
Hi have 1 damaged pokemon red game for gb pal after booting every big sprite like pokemon get replaced witch black glitchy box i thing of buing pokemon red from japan 3$ swap rom chips so i get eng version can this work?

tripredacus

Re: swaping rom chips in gameboy games from different regions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:15:33 am »
Game Boy carts are region free. None of them are PAL.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:44:24 am »
yes im more concern about diferences betwen manufacture of game motherboard from 1 side they look similar but i dont know it it would work chips are diferent firms (logical because they dont want to ship so many parts from 1 place like today) and jap version have quarts resonaitor on pcb that is lack on pal version

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 05:38:53 pm »
No need to swap any chips. It's region free, so a Japanese game will work in your European Game Boy.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:55:16 pm »
Okay Let me make this as clear as possible.The Japanese version of Pokemon Red is a different game than the pokemon Red the rest of the world got. The international versions of Red and Blue are base on Japan's Pokemon Blue. Changes include some glitches being fixed,  complete pokemon front sprite redesigns, the way some pokemon are obtained and other stuff.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 08:37:36 pm »
Hi have 1 damaged pokemon red game for gb pal after booting every big sprite like pokemon get replaced witch black glitchy box i thing of buing pokemon red from japan 3$ swap rom chips so i get eng version can this work?

I've heard their was a game breaking glitch in some Pokemon game Boy game, that I heard causes the cartridge to break. Something involving entering a Pokemon name in gibberish break the game? or trying to catch a mystery monster? I

something about a missingno? :-\ here is what google says on my end

MissingNo. is a legendary programming error that first appeared in the Game Boy versions of Red and Blue. Although it's not technically a Pokémon, the mess of scrambled graphics could be used in battles and occupy a space in a player's party or storage box. Essentially, MissingNo. (Jan 25, 2017)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:19:20 am »
i like information about software diferences but i gona get even more specifick i have 1 european gb pokemon red game that has been damaged so i think about buy jap version swap rom chip so i get pal game rom working witch ENGLISH subtitles witchout this black box glitch its really hard to play witchout sprites

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:08:44 am »
pal game rom

It is getting quite annoying. The Game Boy does not use a television standard, so it has no region encoding. There is no such thing as a PAL Game Boy game.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 09:32:50 am »
i like information about software diferences but i gona get even more specifick i have 1 european gb pokemon red game that has been damaged so i think about buy jap version swap rom chip so i get pal game rom working witch ENGLISH subtitles witchout this black box glitch its really hard to play witchout sprites

You're in for a bad time dawg, it's not going to work the way you think it's going to. Swapping the chip from board to board won't make a hill of beans difference as the text will still be in Japanese because that's how the ROM was coded. As for getting a working version in English, I don't know what to tell you other than finding another Western release cart.

Also as Trip pointed out, PAL is a Television standard and applies not at all to portables like the GB/GBC/GBA/DS etc.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 07:41:42 am »

You're in for a bad time dawg, it's not going to work the way you think it's going to. Swapping the chip from board to board won't make a hill of beans difference as the text will still be in Japanese because that's how the ROM was coded. As for getting a working version in English, I don't know what to tell you other than finding another Western release cart.

I just want to swap rom from european game to japanise because error that apeard on me version can be from corupted sram so i thought as rom chip contains game files then if i swap chip witch that files to working pcb witch fine sram that i could eliminate this error but i don't know if they use different sram chips or other parts that can't read properly files from later relesed rom
Also as Trip pointed out, PAL is a Television standard and applies not at all to portables like the GB/GBC/GBA/DS e
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:43:53 am by wrk40 »

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 11:01:28 am »

I just want to swap rom from european game to japanise because error that apeard on me version can be from corupted sram so i thought as rom chip contains game files then if i swap chip witch that files to working pcb witch fine sram that i could eliminate this error but i don't know if they use different sram chips or other parts that can't read properly files from later relesed rom
Also as Trip pointed out, PAL is a Television standard and applies not at all to portables like the GB/GBC/GBA/DS e

Swapping will not work. Yes, the part of your data that's gone bad is different from the text data, but all of that data is stored on the same chip in the cartridge. If you bring in a chip from a Japanese cart, you'll just turn your English cart Japanese.

Even if the data is split between two chips, the code was changed for the English release, even beyond the dialogue (bug fixes, rebalancing, etc.) The games are likely not compatible with each other & swapping chips could create an unusable cart.

It's your experiment to do if you wish, but there's not much chance of success & you'd likely be better off buying a new English cart.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 01:35:47 pm »
My 2 cents, Pokemon has many fake carts around. So this sounds a bit .....

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 03:08:04 pm »
THE JAPANESE VERSION OF POKEMON RED IS A DIFFERENT GAME FROM THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION OF POKEMON RED THAT WAS RELEASED IN EUROPE, NORTH AMERICA ETC...