Author Topic: Your Ideal Game Room  (Read 8054 times)

Re: Your Ideal Game Room
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 07:53:57 pm »
Many of you mentioned wanting a basement game room, I confess I live in one. It' nice. It's like a studio apartment with my own bathroom. But here's the thing, a lot of houses in the United States at least in my area are prone to flooding but luckily for me.

I have a sub pump to help prevent my entire game room and entire basement from flooding, It helps keep my entire basement dry. But one time earlier this year my basement flooded in the bathroom only enough to wet my feet. not anything dangerous, but It could have been a lot worse if my home didn't have a  sub pump running to keep water out from underneath my feet. under the basement floor. and back into the front yard where it drains out

A lot of  houses these days with a basement have flooding especially if you get a bad rain storm, we here in where I live had tons of heavy downpour this year alone, and my sub pump is always working.

I also have storm drain sewers in my basement, to help drain out the water if in case it does get much worse.

also in my experience basement living is often full of cold dampness and I've seen a few CD/DVD/Blu Ray  games rot because of this

So I highly recommend buying and getting a sub pump installed and de-humidifier  in your house if it has a basement.
getting a sub pump installed for the first time is not cheap though date of this post

But it's your call, sometimes you never need one, but where I live I need one
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:59:21 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

armani

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 11:09:47 pm »
everything including furniture in the style of anywhere from the 80s to the early 00s, giant ass tv from the 80s or 90s, my voodoo3 setup sitting in the corner on an old desk with a nice trinitron monitor and big ass 2.1 surround sound speakers and my consoles on an old looking shelf

presumably on the first floor of my house

seriously tired of all that "millenial retro game collector" bullcrap with lights everywhere and flatscreens because it just looks tacky and unfitting
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:11:19 pm by armani »

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 11:32:29 pm »
everything including furniture in the style of anywhere from the 80s to the early 00s, giant ass tv from the 80s or 90s, my voodoo3 setup sitting in the corner on an old desk with a nice trinitron monitor and big ass 2.1 surround sound speakers and my consoles on an old looking shelf

presumably on the first floor of my house

seriously tired of all that "millenial retro game collector" bullcrap with lights everywhere and flatscreens because it just looks tacky and unfitting

my gameroom is also a 1980's or 1990's feel, my room has wooden paneling on the walls. Half my basement is the laundry room the other half and a quarter of the basement in my home is where I live mostly. it happens to be the biggest or 2nd biggest room in the house, we have a lot of unused or wasted space also where I live also
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

firstmateeizen

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 04:35:48 pm »
  • A couch close enough to the TV that I don't have to strain my eyes or use a chair every time I play something like RDR2.
  • A shelf for handhelds, with their chargers close by.
I don't mind it being my living room, my bedroom is way too hot during Summer.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 01:26:23 pm »
I've given this topic some more thought since I decided to downsize my collection and my answer to this question has changed some. When I think of my ideal game room now I imagine it having two, maybe three large shelves filled all with games I love; no filler, no rare trophies, just games that I thoroughly enjoy and are the best example of video games I've experienced. Of course I'd have to have a nice, newer HD TV and then a CRT for anything older than Gen 7. I also still want some arcade and pinball machines and I'd have these in the room as well. I want my game room to be a temple of my most treasured and fun games I've ever experienced. I also would want a lot of swag and memorabilia related to the games and console I love. So in a way I still would need a fairly large space to fit all this, but what's different is it wouldn't just be walls and walls lined with shelves full of games like I had originally envisioned.

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 05:14:48 pm »
If budget was of no concern, I would love to build a game room that is fully automated. Self-adjusting lights and air-conditioning, voice-activated monitors/TVs that would switch on once a specific command has been said, and maybe even retrofitting cd-based consoles with parts from a jukebox to automatically load games from my collection that I want to play. Easier said than done of course, but who knows if technology in the future will allow such a thing to be possible. For modern games, I mostly play those titles from my computer, so I would consider setting up the room in such a way that this would become the primary focus. For example, mini-bar fridge under the desk and electrical power strips with movable and detachable sockets to accommodate power delivery to the computer, monitors, routers, etc.

If I were going for a more budget-conscious game room, then the first thing I would do would be to upgrade my desk to a longer one with stow-away compartments for wires and place everything I use on top of the desk including the consoles. I would also replace my current chair to something more comfortable, and I would install wall- mounted overhead cabinets with locks to keep my collections safe and easy to access. Finally, I would put some bias lighting around the monitors and TV to keep eye strain at bay.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15:14 pm »
My ideal game room would have a titanium door to keep the girlfriend and other agitators out!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 01:32:44 am »
I've been looking for a house with a basement so that the basement can be an all-in-one entertainment hub with movies, games, music and maybe a pool or fooshockey table. That's the dream.

I’ve literally done bits of all your ideas. I moved two months ago into a new house with a walk out basement complete with a sub pump. ;) Built ins for my games/collectibles are getting installed soon.

Instead of a pool or air hockey table, I’ve kept a 8ftx8ft area open for unobstructed freestyle Oculus Quest VR usage.

My lights are all color selectable Phillips hue and can be switch or voice activated. I also have led strip accent lighting.

I have an arcade/pinball area, vr area, console gaming area complete with green screen and streaming setup and a table top gaming area. Separate from all that is the home theatre. The basement has double doors for easy pinball/arcade delivery. And the entire outside perimeter of the house has 24/7 active video (motion detection) surveillance and lighting.

Still not my ideal gaming space because one things missing. Friends.

If any of ya’ll (that knew me before this post) are ever in the area hit me up. I also have a guest bedroom. But if you’d rather sleep in the game room... the sofa is a pull out sleeper. :)

I really like the idea some else here had of dedicated rooms for each era. But my wife would never go for that.

If you see my 1st and second floor it’s like a normal house. :) You’d never know I’m a gamer.

One more project we’re working on is a tardis facade for the home theatre.

So in the gaming area you’ll see a tardis against the wall. If you open it up and go in it will open into the home theatre.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 09:52:55 am »

So in the gaming area you’ll see a tardis against the wall. If you open it up and go in it will open into the home theatre.

Dude!  If I had my little way, I’d have Scooby Doo doors everywhere. Pull a book and the bookcase is a door. I love the Tardis idea!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 10:07:02 am »

Dude!  If I had my little way, I’d have Scooby Doo doors everywhere. Pull a book and the bookcase is a door. I love the Tardis idea!

Started out thinking of something like that. The home theatre is easy to miss. It’s kinda like “oh hey. This is over here.”

We talked about a book shelf but then it just seemed like the “bigger on the inside” theme made more sense. :)