Author Topic: Early Game Boys Vs. Sega Game Gears: And Other Handhelds Discussion  (Read 5449 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Early Game Boys Vs. Sega Game Gears: And Other Handhelds Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 04:48:39 pm »
It's a shame that SEGA does not have a modern console or modern day handheld. I got nothing against SEGA or Nintendo, but yet, why the heck did Nintendo take so long to make a handheld with a colored back-lit screen?

and why did the original Gameboy have a green screen?

February 2003, marked the vary first mainstream back lit color screen handheld for Nintendo

October 6, 1990 is when the SEGA Game Gear came out about 12-13 years before the Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP :-\

Exactly the question I always pose. Nintendo went about designing the cheapest possible thing they could when releasing the Game Boy. A year later, SEGA showed the world how a handheld should be made. However, the gimmick of being smaller, and cheaper paid off with some kind of tragic irony. Remember when everyone wanted the tiniest flip-phone they could possible make? Those tiny phones were so neat and fashionable. Now we all want the biggest smartphone that money can buy. Trends change. Game Gear was ahead of it's time in many ways. Now "handhelds" are quite large and charging your batteries nightly, if not more often is just expected.

Actually the Game Boy Advance SP that first released in 2003 was not backlit, it was front lit, and it looks pretty bad in all honesty. The backlit one came out later, but the Nintendo DS was the first Nintendo handheld to finally get it right. Although, there are patents that have now surfaced showing SEGA was in early development for a Game Gear successor handheld that would not only be backlit again, but feature "touch screen" controls, long before the DS was even remotely a thing. Sadly it never came to be because SEGA's financial situation at the time was dire.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:50:13 pm by Warmsignal »

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 05:21:43 pm »

Gameboy in fairness while a traditional handheld,  still probably has a more impressive library than Genesis.  It's unfair to compare because one is a console game.  But Gameboy had Warioland and Pokemon.  Genesis can't touch Pokemon's realm.  I don't even think SNES can without a gameboy player attatchment.  Pokemon was something special that we will probably never witness again in our lives.

None of these say the Game Boy is miles ahead of the Genesis. One is talking about the competition between the Game Boy and the Nomad and Game Gear. And sure, he says the handheld has an impressive library of games compared to the Genesis, but that's not saying the Game Boy is ahead of the Genesis. Not even in the slightest.

This isn't my battle, but I think we need to be fair.

i don't know man kinda seems that gameboy classic is miles ahead i mean cmon can't touch gameboy meaning god mode levels of better.

What's so impressive about the gameboy classics library let alone better than genesis is this guy on crack even the mighty GBA is worse than a snes how does gameboy classic stand any chance at all that's like a fraction of the fun that the gba has.

there are not many superb gameboy classic games and even with those gems it's not something that fantastic if your going for 2d games it's not to far of atari 2600 lvl's.

i also can't see how the snes is miles ahead of genesis while the grapics are very comparable both systems have games that look better or worse than each other. both consoles have games with better music depending on the game per console. if your looking for 16 bit consoles genesis or snes are top pics but snes being miles ahead that's pretty flawed.  this is coming from a huge nintendo fanboy btw i grew up with nintendo mario being my favourite series at the time.

having a preference sure but saying that something is miles ahead aka (huge difference) while the grapics and sound music are comparable depending on the titles per system and both having a huge library with gems that's just being ignorant  this is just a classic example of nostalgia goggles nothing more nothing less.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 05:40:58 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2019, 05:46:57 pm »
And I don't want to be that console fanboy guy.  But quite honestly.  Sega was never even close to Nintendo in anything they made.  Even with their peak which is the Genesis in most people's eyes.    The Genesis isn't even close to the Super Nintendo imo.  It can't even sit at the same table.

That's an ounce, maybe even a metric ton. I've seen loads of comments akin to this, if not within this thread, then in others. There are SEGA haters among us, who dismiss and judge the entirety of the company as sub-par or not worthy of their time. To be fair, there's also a lot of unwarranted disdain towards the Xbox brand as well, because in certain circles it's not seen as hardcore enough. I'm just saying there is some fanboy-ism present when discussions of certain brands like SEGA or Xbox come up from time to time.

Yeah, I figured either you or sworddude would quote that. In all honesty, though, you're not being fair. Yes, he did say that, but so did I in a way. marvelvscapcom2 acknowledged and agreed on many of the Genesis strong suits, which is commendable given you're essentially vilifying him. Not only that, but his posts don't come off vitriolic or filled with opprobrium, which is expected of a hater. All I see marvelvscapcom2 guilty of is being a tad verbose, but a hater he certainly isn't.

But I digress, like I said before, this isn't my battle. These kind of discussions always end up turning into arguments that never yield anything fruitful. In a way they end up turning into a dick measuring contest.

i don't know man kinda seems that gameboy classic is miles ahead i mean cmon can't touch gameboy meaning god mode levels of better.

You're reaching, but think whatever you want, man, this discussion has turned into an argument that, for my sanity's sake, I sincerely want nothing to do with.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2019, 05:59:29 pm »
I'm not going to keep arguing on this topic there is a ton of stuff that i disagree with that marvel vs capcom posts in general i usually try really hard ignore them but i just had to leave a reaction this time.

If where looking at basic language what he just said can't touch something

if your saying something can't touch aka can't hold a candle to it  It can't even sit at the same table means that the difference is huge something is much more superior than that

i'm just stating facts here this ain't reaching everyone can have their opinion but considering what those expressions mean i don't see how my logic is untrue that something can't even come close is what the guy literally said.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:05:19 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 06:16:16 pm »
It's a shame that SEGA does not have a modern console or modern day handheld. I got nothing against SEGA or Nintendo, but yet, why the heck did Nintendo take so long to make a handheld with a colored back-lit screen?

February 2003, marked the vary first mainstream back lit color screen handheld for Nintendo

October 6, 1990 is when the SEGA Game Gear came out about 12-13 years before the Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP :-\

Exactly the question I always pose. Nintendo went about designing the cheapest possible thing they could when releasing the Game Boy. A year later, SEGA showed the world how a handheld should be made. However, the gimmick of being smaller, and cheaper paid off with some kind of tragic irony. Remember when everyone wanted the tiniest flip-phone they could possible make? Those tiny phones were so neat and fashionable. Now we all want the biggest smartphone that money can buy. Trends change. Game Gear was ahead of it's time in many ways. Now "handhelds" are quite large and charging your batteries nightly, if not more often is just expected.

Actually the Game Boy Advance SP that first released in 2003 was not backlit, it was front lit, and it looks pretty bad in all honesty. The backlit one came out later, but the Nintendo DS was the first Nintendo handheld to finally get it right. Although, there are patents that have now surfaced showing SEGA was in early development for a Game Gear successor handheld that would not only be backlit again, but feature "touch screen" controls, long before the DS was even remotely a thing. Sadly it never came to be because SEGA's financial situation at the time was dire.
Yeah terrible battery life had no influence on the game gear being less successful.

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2019, 06:22:36 pm »
And I don't want to be that console fanboy guy.  But quite honestly.  Sega was never even close to Nintendo in anything they made.  Even with their peak which is the Genesis in most people's eyes.    The Genesis isn't even close to the Super Nintendo imo.  It can't even sit at the same table.

That's an ounce, maybe even a metric ton. I've seen loads of comments akin to this, if not within this thread, then in others. There are SEGA haters among us, who dismiss and judge the entirety of the company as sub-par or not worthy of their time. To be fair, there's also a lot of unwarranted disdain towards the Xbox brand as well, because in certain circles it's not seen as hardcore enough. I'm just saying there is some fanboy-ism present when discussions of certain brands like SEGA or Xbox come up from time to time.

Yeah, I figured either you or sworddude would quote that. In all honesty, though, you're not being fair. Yes, he did say that, but so did I in a way. marvelvscapcom2 acknowledged and agreed on many of the Genesis strong suits, which is commendable given you're essentially vilifying him. Not only that, but his posts don't come off vitriolic or filled with opprobrium, which is expected of a hater. All I see marvelvscapcom2 guilty of is being a tad verbose, but a hater he certainly isn't.

But I digress, like I said before, this isn't my battle. These kind of discussions always end up turning into arguments that never yield anything fruitful. In a way they end up turning into a dick measuring contest

I don’t really have a dog in the fight either. I like Nintendo, SEGA, PlayStation, Xbox, Atari and others. However when I see someone dissing on any them out of loyalty or enthusiasm for another company it’s hard not to comment in their defense.

Warmsignal

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 06:26:25 pm »

Yeah terrible battery life had no influence on the game gear being less successful.

There existed rechargeable battery and battery packs at the time. We had them. The real question is which will happen first? Will your Game Gear batteries die, or will you go cross eyed staring at a green a grey screen in the dark? Can your eyes withstand the Game Boys battery life? Honest question.

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 06:52:24 pm »
I would take not playing in the dark over spending money on an accessory that could be spent on games.  Not that either are great I was just saying that was a big reason the gb sold better.  Both are pretty low on the list of handheld systems.