Author Topic: Have/Does Anybody Left Their Electronics In The On Position? And Forget?  (Read 1199 times)

I used to leave my PC running unattended a few  hours mostly growing up. But not a console. Today I always now make an effort to turn off electronics that I'm not currently using. I know many other guys growing up including my dad would leave the console running,

I personally don't think that is safe or good for the console or even a PC. What if a bad storm comes along and jolts your gaming device. Or you forget your console or gaming device is still on and you go on vacation, How many of you ever left your games running for hours or days? How many of you ever lost an electronic because of this?
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Have/Does Anybody Left Their Electronics In The On Position? And Forget?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:46:19 am »
No, it's never been a thing I've really done, so forgetting something is always a couple hour deal. Years ago, my finance did once kill a cheap DVD player by letting the first Red Vs. Blue release just run on repeat for close to a month solid. He got a bunch of them to sign it at a convention the next spring.

Most machines are going to be stress tested to handle this kind of thing from time to time and not break... while oddly, some get very mad at you if they're turned off in standby mode- PS4 comes to mind. I get really tired of seeing that 'you turned me off wrong, idiot' message come up when there was a freakin' power outage.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:07:13 am »
PC is pretty much always in, except if I am going out of town or if there is a heavy storm.

Consoles always go off.  They be forgotten for a couple of hours like hoshi said, but that’s it.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:24:28 am »
The only thing I leave on is one of my computers. Everything else gets turned off if I am not using them.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:10:55 am »
No. I've had electronics get accidentally turned on and I wasn't made aware of it until the battery was dead or I went to use it again and saw that it was on.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 12:02:57 pm »
Oh good point. One time I came home and my PS3 was on. I'm guessing that my cat stepped on the remote.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 01:21:01 pm »
you could also just use an electrical surge protector.

it protects your electronic appliances during a thunderstorm when you have some bad luck.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 03:29:17 pm »
I would only do this in a Four Job Fiesta when I am doing RegAdvance and because of job selection have no choice but to run Omniscient out of MP in order to unlock the GBA job.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 01:22:00 am »
Use to leave my PS3 on overnight and sometimes in the day when attempting to download a bunch of stuff from my download history after getting a bigger hard drive. Other times I would play something and get called to do something which results in the console being on unintentionally for a while. Other than that, they stay off.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 04:51:36 am »
My Xbox One never goes off.  I have it set to never turn off.  It hasn't turned off in 5 years except for the occasional instance I accidentally turn it off or the dog does by touching the button lol. 

Microsoft designed the Xbox One to be an all in one media platform thingy that never turns off.  I trusted their word and it hasn't given me any troubles.  They can be left on like a DVR or cable box.   

PS2 as a kid I used to leave on.  The disc drives would fry. 

360s I used to leave on.  They'd get red ring of death like every 3 days.  A truly unreliable system. 

My PC I leave on sometimes.  But it's a laptop so I always close it.

My TVs stay on with the xbox playing me youtube as I sleep.  :) 

So I guess it is a habit of mine. 

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 08:22:03 pm »
My computer is most of the time on; I turn it off whenever I’m going out or to clean it, or if there’s a storm, obviously. Consoles remain off if I’m not using them, that's a given. I do remember falling asleep a couple of times while playing my N64, leaving it on for the remainder of the night until the next day.

I have battery backups / surge protectors, though, so I rarely worry about power outages when it comes to my computer and consoles.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 10:02:53 am »
There hasn't been a power outage for me in a long time. When talking about leaving computers on for long periods of time, some context. I turned my computer off in April of this year, which was before I went on a two-week business trip. The uptime on it at that time was 703 days. There are two hard drives in that computer that have power on times of 15+ years each.