Author Topic: Game collecting addiction  (Read 4204 times)

rastrum

Re: Game collecting addiction
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2019, 03:06:46 pm »
I usually only buy locally, including local auctions. I feel like this scarcity keeps me from buying too much and it also makes it so that finds are more fun because they are more difficult to come by. This will sometimes have me spending more than I should, given my income. It has only affected me for a pay afterward usually.

I have a similar issue to a few other people here, with space. Me and my girlfriends apartment used to be a church that got turned into 4 crappy apartments and they are small. I used to have my stuff at my parents house but they started renovations recently and that got me to finally catalog my collection and make some harsh decisions. Which is why I started using this site. My conclusion in the end of this is that I will likely need to give up my old computer collection. It was only OK to begin with.

pzeke

Re: Game collecting addiction
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 08:41:33 pm »
I was actually going to address your comment over here, so I might as well redirect it here.

You’re just being excessive... Instead of fixating yourself in getting more games, play the ones you have to try and satiate your impulses. Hobbies are meant to be fun and help you relax and burn off the stress of your everyday life. If it’s doing the opposite, then you should take a breather from it. You don’t need to have those 30 video games by tomorrow – that’s just you being compulsive and unable to control yourself. You need oxygen to breathe, food for sustenance, a roof under your head, good health, water, you get the gist. Just think of it that way. You could also immerse yourself in another hobby to try and offset this one a little bit. It's all about self-control.

Regarding your question, no; regarding the topic of going on a “game collecting binge”, yes. However, these binges were done using gift cards I was either given/gifted by a family member or won. The only few times I spent more than I normally do, or should, was during college with leftover money from my scholarship. I was already set up for the semerster and had the extra cash, so I treated myself.

On topic though, yes, I have been in similar shoes as you, in 2017 I was buying left and right, spending probably half of my income on games. Two years ago, (I believe I even made a post here about it) I pretty much took everything I had, put it in storage, and didn't come back to this site for I think three months or so. It pretty much reached a head for me when I was buying for no reason other than "ooh, this is rare or ooh, this is cool" and I was about to pull the trigger on The Croods for Wii U. Thankfully, I didn't. I sort of went into a funk after that, not even wanted to look at the stuff I had amassed for no reason other than to just have more stuff. Since I returned to the hobby, I've been buying less and less. Hell, I just canceled my Luigi's Mansion preorder because it's not something I intend to play day one, and maybe down the line when I do want to play it, I can get it nice and cheap. Also, I've been slowly selling things I don't want or will never use. My goal was to never come back to the hobby, but when I found that I could do it in moderation, it became fun for me again. Also, not buying every Limited Run Games release has helped a lot too.

I remember that, and I'm glad you managed to pull through. It's all about knowing what's in front of you and having self-control.

I still have some idea that $50 is a lot of money. So there are many things I will not buy simply because of the price. I'd say that the average price that I buy something for is $2. You don't need to have a lot of money to have a collecting habit.

To me $20 is a lot. I'm a penny-pincher, so I often second guess myself whenever I'm buying stuff. Unless it's food or other necessities, I tend to be a cheapskate. I don't hoard money, though, so don't get me wrong.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:33:21 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!