Author Topic: Do You Still Discover New Favorite Retro Video Games?  (Read 1433 times)

Do You Still Discover New Favorite Retro Video Games?
« on: December 26, 2019, 03:02:26 pm »
me all the time, prettly much all console games thats all I really play. Or homebrew games that have retro graphics in them. I live in the past, I listen to old music every day and play older video games. To me they are new, because I never played most of them.

I had a PC  growing up with a lot of video games that were exclusive to the PC only. and there were a ton of PC games in the 1990's that never came out on any console ever made to my knowledge, Like Heavy Gear 1 and 2, Most of the Mech Warrior games, all the Sierra games I've played, even platform games like Alien Rampage, Duke Nukem I and II, Redneck Rampage the first person shooter series

Correct me if I'm wrong but every time I think of modern video games I think of movie like graphics and open world. Hack and slash games and RPG's with puzzles or open world games mostly.

When I think of retro I think of cartoony Fighter games, Arcade Racing, both 2D and 3D platformers, easy to understand usally 1st and 3rd person shooters, and mostly cost a lot less for since nobody seems to want them.

Also I bear a another question, is it true that fewer games come out today then back in the early 2000's 1990's and or 1980's. Is it true? seems to me, but most of you might think of me as a mole, and it's because I don't get out like ever.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Still Discover New Favorite Retro Video Games?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 03:12:18 pm »
Do I Still Discover New Favorite Retro Video Games?

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
Absolutely! Part of the fun of collecting/playing retro games is finding great stuff you never played when you were younger or never knew about. A few famous examples of retro games that I never played until I began collecting and ended up loving are Chrono Trigger, Sin and Punishment, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. There are certainly other retro games I really liked, but those ones are the major standouts. Discovering a great game that's literally been out for decades is a great feeling, although it does make you wish that you had played it way sooner so you could have enjoyed it more.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:28:38 pm »
I discover or find out about great old school games all the time cause im always researching games on the internet.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 01:54:52 am »
Not too often anymore. The main reason for that is decades ago in middle school I discovered ROMs and Emulators. Through them, I wound up playing basically entire console libraries over the next few years until I was old enough to get a job and more regularly buy the new stuff. I didn't finish every game, but I was certainly able to play and enjoy games I never would've encountered otherwise, like Terranigma or Liva a Live.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 07:20:17 pm »
Pretty much every old game that I've bought in the past decade has been a new-to-me discovery that fascinates me on some level. Yes, some of the best games I've ever played have been randomly selected from my collection and popped in.

On average yes, I do find old games more appealing than modern games. Although, I do still enjoy modern Nintendo releases, as well as modern indie games. Today's indie game scene fills the void for games of old, and so I do still enjoy exploring those. There's still tons of games that do release today, though not at retail. Most games released today are download only, but that's been changing as of late with more small publishers taking risks on various titles.

pzeke

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 09:29:15 pm »
Emulation for me opened a lot of doors back when I discovered it, so I ended up playing a bunch of games that I had never even heard of. I still come across a game or two that's relatively new to me, be it as an import or a fan translation. The latter has certainly helped me find some new games, albeit most being RPGs, but fan translations I would say has opened more doors for me in regards to discovering older games.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 01:01:01 pm »
I find a lot of good interesting games at least to me the obscure sports video games or games that are different or stand out. I love a variety of retro games, even the sports ones. I found out that you can get a lot of the same games cheaper by buying them in a compilation as an example I picked up 2 entire collections of Mega Man games for less than $30USD on Amazon.com. Including 2 or more games never released outside of Japan.

1: Mega Man Anniversary Collection (PlayStation 2)
https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-Anniversary-Collection-PlayStation-2/dp/B00019HNNC

2: Mega Man X Collection (PlayStation 2)
https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-X-Collection-PlayStation-2/dp/B0009XBWY6

of course there is ROM's but I'm not interested in them unless their legal
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:03:39 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

stealthrush

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:12:18 am »
Yes! That is why I prefer playing retro games after all these years, discovering 'new' favorites for your old systems. From fan-translations, to obscure hidden gems that never were localized to the west.