Author Topic: How to put custom GBA into collection?  (Read 2456 times)

Re: How to put custom GBA into collection?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 09:35:59 am »
How about we create a semi-generic listing that says something like “GBA SP (Custom Shell)”?  That way, anyone can use the same listing, regardless of where it came from, or who made it. We could also put something in the description field about to use the notes to specify what exactly you have.  If we go that route, we should make similar listings for other consoles. I’m also of the opinion that not everything needs to be in the database. I make those CD-I controller adapters, but there’s no listing for them on purpose. The only people who have them are the 20 or so people that bought them directly from me.

Another quick thought.
Where do we stand on modded consoles in general?  I mean, do I really need to create a listing for my TG-16 with region and AV mods?  That sounds silly, but what is the difference between that and a case mod for a handheld?  They’re both mods.  So many questions...

You're thinking along what I was going/hoping for- I'll certainly do Tripredacus' suggested listing (& thank you for coming up with that!), but I am a bit concerned about that resulting in a lot of one-off custom listings (assuming I'm not the only one wanting to list custom colored Gameboys.)

As far as modded systems in general- the vast majority of them won't have the issues I'm having with this GBA. My PC Engine Duo-R also has a region/rgb mod, my Colecovision has a composite mod. With those (and with most systems), they're still clearly a specific machine already in the database. I used the existing listings and just used the 'notes' field to point out the mods. For systems with custom casing that can't be visually identified as a specific variant, there's almost always a 'base' model that the guts of the unit will match, so you can use that listing and note the case mod.

This problem is pretty much unique to Nintendo handhelds from the GBC on- systems that had multiple color variants from day 1, meaning there is no 'basic' version to act as a catch-all for visually distinct modded units. Based on what I've run into, only the GBA really sees a large amount of this custom modwork anyway... basically, this was never going to be a common occurrence.

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 09:42:25 am »
This has all been discussed in the past. Currently we do not allow for "modified" or "generic" entries outside of some cables that end up being in Accessory categories.

The reason that we can allow hoshichiri's custom GBA is because it is a complete product from a business. In addition, we can also allow each of the individual custom cases to be added as accessories (the ones I linked to referring to the colors) as they are separate products.

Region modded consoles would not get any additionals. You select the console that is closest to what you have, or pick whatever one to represent the thing you own, and put into notes that it is modded or what have you.
A chipped console would not get their own entry, although an entry for the chip itself is allowed to have an entry in the appropriate accessory category. Same would go for any consoles that get region or AV mods by way of add-on boards that get soldered directly to the PCB. Those items can get their own entry because they are products purchased from somewhere.
Homemade modifications are not allowed separate entries, but the individual parts are.

If any of the people had bought that adapter you made, then they could add it if they wanted, but there is no requirement that it needs to be added.

We (at VGC) can potentially do more, but not within our current design. It is possible to accomodate those with custom consoles without adding generic entries, but at this time we do not have support for that.

tpugmire

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 02:19:37 pm »
Yeah, I know all that already, I was trying to make a point. I think it’s time to take this to the staff board to discuss further.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com