Author Topic: What Makes Most RPG's So Sought After  (Read 2439 times)

What Makes Most RPG's So Sought After
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:41:44 pm »
I know almost nothing about RPG' video games so please tell me why you like them if you do.

Why do you think so many people prefer RPG's over so many other types of games? Now the only RPGs I've actually played are a few Pokemon games for Gameboy Advance and GUN for PlayStation 2 those were fun.

I currently can't stand Strategy turn based RPG video games where you line up your characters and tell them to fight like some kind of board game. the strategy turn based battles in some RPGs really bore me. I am a casual gamer too I don't like games to be hard,

but On this one Genesis game I lost all characters on the first battle and then got a game over and had to start over from the beginning and it killed RPGs for me there.

I think it was Phantasy Star I think not too sure. I liked the story but hated the combat system,

all the menus in RPGs confuse me All I know how to play is Pokemon games but not other type of turn based combat RPG

I don't see what is so great about them, I have yet to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and Final Fantasy X for the PS2 but I hesitate to play an RPG because of how complicated they are usually

Does anyone else feel the same way as me?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:47:20 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Makes Most RPG's So Sought After
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:23 pm »
I don't like them either.  I'm glad i'm not the only one :D

The combat systems confuse me.  And the specials and elixers and different items that do different things.  It all is hard to me.  I could never grasp it.   I've tried so many intermediate ones begging to like them but always put them down.  My main gripe with turn based RPGs is they rarely tell you where to go and who to talk to.  And it's so hard to keep track of different quests.  It's like  "Go talk to the man with the mustache at the train station, he'll give you the stone of 7 dragons"  Then you forget where the train station was.  No map.  No arrow.   And towns.  And items.  Hard to keep track of your log.     Pokemon being the only exception.  But even pokemon starts out with "Go see Professor Oak, he's waiting for you".   Then you leave the house.  Where do you go? As a kid I remember just trying random doors to find him.  As an adult you know off memory.  But if you don't know.  You bascially have to look and can get lost easily in those types of games. But I know they are very beloved as a genre.  I just suck at them pretty bad lol :)

This does not include open world RPGs for some reason.  I love those.

My brother loves the turn based JRPG games.  He has some amazing games that are worth hundreds and thousands.

I think they are sought after because they usually have awesome art works,  and people love them.  Some have epic collectors sets.   And most are made by Atlus and Square.  Two companies that don't quite pump as many copies into the market as some other big names.  Some are fairly low run. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:13:28 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:11:04 pm »
Depends on the type of RPG, but RPG's in general are about a character you can build up.  Whether it's customizing the character itself, or being able to earn new or interesting gear to change stats, to alter the stats themselves, even down to something as simple as leveling up has its own appeal.  It makes you feel like you have more control of the experience rather than just being...a regular Mario game where Mario always stays the same, or a game with set weapons like old school Doom.

Sounds like you just haven't found the right RPG as I'd say something like Super Mario RPG or maybe the Paper Mario games in general are more fitting for a casual take as they are more basic when it comes to all the stats and such and can offer mechanics to make the turn based gameplay more interesting.  For action RPG's, Kingdom Hearts can be good, they are reasonably casual and I think have an easy difficulty option (I don't remember this for KH1 and KH2, though KH3 does) so you can have an easier time as some bosses can be abit infuriating on normal difficulty.

Otherwise I'm generally good with RPG's.  I prefer action RPG's, turn based has sorta lost their interest abit, and I'm not a big tactical RPG type of person usually, but like Nier Automata, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XV, the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Remake, that's stuff that definitely can appeal to me.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 11:36:47 pm »
RPGs have a few thing going for them that aren't always part of other games. You have: An engrossing story that's fundamental to the gameplay- possibly more important. You have turn-based gameplay that value learning the game's systems over twitchy reflexes. And you have highly customizable character stats that reward the player for optimizing performance. If you have a penchant for crunching numbers and the time to put in the work- or if you want a good story & will happily stumble through easy mode for one- RPGs have a lot of promise.

Now, the above can make people get very attached to their games- they did put in a lot of time, after all- so they might not be willing to sell their games. Couple that with most RPGs having lower print runs, and you end up with titles that are harder to get on the secondhand market- which now draws in the collector types who must have the rarest of rare games.

It's like a carefully concocted smoothie of niche supply & demand.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:09:50 am »
I've played board games and card games my whole life and am also experienced with TRPGs. I think the appeal is similar and rightly so. I'd easily assume I am already primed to handle learning systems, because I learn system all the time. System learning is its own skill. You don't need perfect twitch reflexes, you have time to plan your moves. It's strategy and tactics over reflex. Builds are also fun in games wear you get to choose where to put your stat points or skill points. Meanwhile, in action RPGs I can tailor the experience to my play-style a lot more than a game without build elements. If I don't like a move I can buy a different one instead. I also just love planning, executing a plan, and seeing if it works.

I also love JRPG stories. This is specific more to JRPGs than their western counterparts, but I love the collectivist and interdependent nature of the characters in many games. I want to be a part of a cohesive unit, and I think others also find this appealing. Also, husbandos and waifus. 'Nuff said.

Low print runs also keep the majority of good JRPGs from plummeting in price in the west like high print run games do. I Japan old JRPGs are cheap af due to their higher print runs there.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 12:33:08 am »
RPGs are still considered "niche" in North America, outside of a few key series that have broken through. So, the fans of the genre in this region often scramble to get whatever actually does see a release outside of Japan where most of them are developed. Because there's so little expectation for them to sell in most regions, they don't print an especially large number of the games. So once stock sells out, it's all trading back and forth and usually more RPG fans wanting the games, than numbers of them available. That's what gives them the perception of being highly sought after compared to other games.

Personally, I am not a big RPG fan. Some of them can be fun, if the combat system is straight forward and simple and the game is somewhat forgiving. They're very story driven games, and there's usually a lot of dialog. I'm not a big fan of that, especially because the stories and characters are usually cheesy and cliche and it's difficult for me to take up any interest in them. I prefer RPGs that don't take themselves so seriously, such as the Paper Mario series as you might assume from my forum icon. Lots of dialog yes, but the stories are so off beat and it can be hilarious. It's an easy game to understand and play and it's charming without being cheesy or melodramatic.

Strategy or tactical RPGs are not my cup of tea. The more action oriented the combat system is, the better. So that, and subject matter can make or break the game for me.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 05:07:35 am »
For me it is that grande sense of Adventure, I feel JRPG's hit this experience better than any other medium! While we have many open-world type games now they still lack decent scenario writing to justify the scale. Whereas with Final Fantasy you have a main objective and the game lets you detour a few areas at a time but it's still very well structured and the story is (usually) progressing on a frequent basis.

I'd recommend giving Final Fantasy X a go if you're unsure on the genre, it's a game which excels on every aspect from Gameplay, Content, Party Set-up, Story and Characters it's a great All-rounder and what's even better is that the Remaster has made it accessible to all current gen owners - The Xbox One X version even being in native 4K!

kashell

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 08:24:51 am »
Eesh. Some of this commentary... *shakes head*

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:49:59 am »
RPG is such a broad term it’s not exactly easy to narrow down, but I think the most catch all description would be: a large immersive world with a high focus on character customization. 

But there are so many different kinds it would be difficult to just flat out say “I don’t like RPGs.”

I personally, do not really care for JRPGs.  I strongly dislike random encounters and find them to generally be over-melodramatic.

I do really like tactical turn-based RPGs like Fire Emblem, XCOM, and the like.

I’m also very into action RPGs like the Soulsborne games, as well as WRPGs like Mass Effect and The Witcher 3.

I also spent way too much time in the MMORPG scene having but hundreds of days into WoW.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 06:12:49 pm »
I love rpg's and strategy rpg's especially when they have a compelling story. When playing them rember this save often and don't advance to quickly grind a litte before you stray to far away from that town or enter that cave! Make sure you have everything you need for battle before you head out to explore. Elixer,herbs,potions,armor,weapons exc. are a must. Remember your party may not be strong enough at first to advance to certain areas this is when you will die! And that's why you save often and power up by grinding then go back and kick the ass off that two headed axe welding jackass! Oohrah! If you are patient and practice learning through trial and error im sure you could do it good luck if you decided to give them another try. If not there are lots of other genres to choose from.

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 09:26:06 pm »
I know almost nothing about RPG' video games so please tell me why you like them if you do.

Why do you think so many people prefer RPG's over so many other types of games? Now the only RPGs I've actually played are a few Pokemon games for Gameboy Advance and GUN for PlayStation 2 those were fun.

I currently can't stand Strategy turn based RPG video games where you line up your characters and tell them to fight like some kind of board game. the strategy turn based battles in some RPGs really bore me. I am a casual gamer too I don't like games to be hard,

but On this one Genesis game I lost all characters on the first battle and then got a game over and had to start over from the beginning and it killed RPGs for me there.

I think it was Phantasy Star I think not too sure. I liked the story but hated the combat system,

all the menus in RPGs confuse me All I know how to play is Pokemon games but not other type of turn based combat RPG

I don't see what is so great about them, I have yet to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and Final Fantasy X for the PS2 but I hesitate to play an RPG because of how complicated they are usually

Does anyone else feel the same way as me?

The hours required to complete an RPG, the niche market (supply & demand) like other mentioned make them more sought after.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of RPG in general, when I was younger and had more time on my hands I enjoyed traditional turn-based, action, role-playing games. I find myself as I get older appreciating strategy & tactical RPGs where I play in short bursts and come back to later.

I enjoy the story, character development, music, gameplay, preferentially from JRPGs. A break from playing arcade oriented video games.

Although i'm with you not enjoying excessive random-encounters. I recommend you give Final Fantasy X a try, it may be daunting at first but realize you can always save your progress along the way and take it at your own pace. As for cryptic missions you also have GameFAQS guides available.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 04:57:55 am »
i would not recommend final fantasy X at all for a beginner especially if said person does not like rpg's your not going to like it.seems like the worst advice ever. kingdom hearts maybe but it's not that much of an rpg in my opinion.

I recommend the following rpg's for people who are starting and don't like them

mario super star saga,
mario partners in time
mario bowsers inside story
mario luigi's dreamteam
paper mario 64
paper mario thousand year door
chrono trigger
skies of arcadia
secret of mana
advance wars.

you need rpg's that not attract only the more hardcore rpg players but also people from othe groups since these offer different things than most typical rpg's. that's how good some rpg's are final fantasy X seems like some terrible advice to start off with imo. i'm not saying that these games will be fun to everyone but if your not going to like any I'd suggest to just enjoy other genre's your not going to enjoy rpg's than.

also rpg's in current day and age. it seems like they've seen the appeal in the west for rpg's

It's not going to be that sought after in the west except if said small company is going to release the game. final fantasy X is not a sought after game it sold millions and it sells for only a couple of $ atm. it's value is trash just like the gameplay for most non very hardcore rpg players.  you either like it or not rpg lover or not. it even had dollar value in my early collecting days well before a hd update remaster would ever be created of this game.

low print runs have nothing to do with rpg's that with every genre. if the print run is nice the value is just as low as other genre's unless the games are good have replay value even if newer releases come out. could you imagine mario games being bad. they would have had dollar value if that where the case.

I'm just saying if I where to start with final fantasy X i would probably not appreciate rpg's i would stay far away.

Even to this day I would say final fantasy X isnt that good and X-2 I'm not going to talk about that.

That's coming from someone who enjoy's jrp's xenoblade series also X, dragon quest Xi them older ps2 ps1 rpg's it does not come close it's trash you should rather play FFVII till IX instead.

It was revolutionary for it's time but i can see why the game only sells for a couple of $ unlike kingdom hearts close to 10 or more wich sold the same quantities but is still fun.

it's a very dirt cheap game that's the only thing that makes it accesible. it's not great advice. seems to me like only the more hardcore rpg or final fantasy fans players enjoy final fantasy X at least in the present day could be wrong but i can't personally say that i would recommend X at all.

heck if your going to recommend a jrpg i would by far recommend dragon quest VIII but for newcomers not the best game but at least it's a ton more interesting and an excellent game.I was so excited when i got X for cheap back in the day until i played it and that was after enjoying other ps1 ps2 rpg's.

i cannot understand how so many people recommend final fantasy X to a beginner let alone a guy who says he dislikes rpg's seems like a great idea :o
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:56:14 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:54 am »
Really? While Final Fantasy X is not my favourite in the franchise I really do believe it is a great starting point!

- It has the most compelling Turn base combat - With the ability to Switch out Party Members & even control Aeons (Which was a really big deal when it 1st happened)

- It has a decent story/sense of adventure - I feel Yuna's quest to travel across the land in seek of the power of the Aeons to defeat Sin is a great set up for an adventure & of course where it strays from that it gets even better :)

- Compelling Equipment system - I liked how in the game the Weapons & Accessories had Extra Perks like Posion Touch, so it wasn't sorely based on Stat Attributes alone.

- Memorable Characters - I've played many JRPGs to which the characters are forgettable but not in FFX. I think what really helps is that your experiencing Spira through the eyes of someone who is also unfamiliar with the location and we learn along his journey with him.

- Post-Game Content - You can beat the game in a decent 40-50 hours but if you want more there is so much at offer here with Mini-games like Blitzball, Sidequests & the Dreaded Dark Aeons which require you to push the games training to the max!

- Technical Standard - FFX was the first Final Fantasy of the generation and in being so it had huge technical advancements of the previous games to where now someone jumping into the Remaster/port can totally not get bogged down with the game feeling Old. It's in widescreen, 4K, & has great cinematics and … passable voice acting :P

Sphere Grid - I look at FFXII's Zodiac Age release as a comparison and I couldn't even start the damn game without reading online what class to give to what character - because I had no indication as to what Class would be beneficial for post-game encounters alone. While FFX's Sphere Gird is a little tedious at times, it's following a straight path until later when you reach the end of the characters path to approach others advancements - by the time the gamer is familiar enough with it.

I really feel this is a great step into the genre as it just seems to have a good level on everything one could want from a JRPG.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:04:54 am by vivigamer »

telly

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 09:19:50 am »
I would recommend Suikoden as a very easy yet compeling first RPG. And I love FFX to death. ;)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 10:30:05 am »
I'm assuming you're referring to JRPGs since those seem to consistently fetch the most money and seem to be the most coveted genre. I think most of it is how much of a novelty JRPGs were in the west up until well Gen 7 pretty much. There was so much we didn't get for such a long time, that when we did start getting it everyone wanted them despite low production numbers. On top of that there's always been this mystique about a lot of JRPGs that people thinks hides some incredible gaming experience. I also think the genre was greatly aided by the popularity of the FF series during the 16 and 32-bit eras.

Personally, most of these sought after JRPGs I've played have come across as pretty overrated in the end. Most have some very generic story about this kingdom feuding with that kingdom, and all the characters seem to be cliche, anime tropes of some kind. I will fully admit that I'm not as big of a JRPG guy as I was 20-years ago, but I can't help but think the genre is now bolstered by nostalgia, collectorism, or fanboyism, at least when it comes to retro JRPGs.