Author Topic: What Would Another Video Game Crash Mean To You?  (Read 3202 times)

Re: What Would Another Video Game Crash Mean To You?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »

We are heading for I say again gaming for former collectors and rich only. At least the music industry has not ended yet. Unlike the video game industry the music industry is still remastering physical copies and digital copies of music even from the 1930's, AND it is much cheaper to buy a CD than it is to buy a video game period. Of course it takes a lot more people to build a video game than it does to make a song also.

This is true that older music is still being reproduced, but only the music that sold well. There are plenty of one hit wonders over the decades that will most likely never get a rerelease. Kind of like video games...If it sold well, you get that anniversary edition etc. If it was obscure or sold poorly, you get forgotten.

pzeke

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:37 am »
In all honestly, it would mean nothing to me. In my eyes—and let me emphasize that—IN MY EYES gaming changed for the worst with the advent of DLC. Ever since that concept became a reality (in this day and age), everything slowly devolved into a greedy practice. Don't get me wrong, overall, I think DLC isn't intrinsically a bad idea because in the end its intended premise is to extend/expand your experience with the game, it's merely there to provide some sort of extra, an incentive at a modest price. However, as the years went on it became the main focus of a game. I mean, I can only imagine a meeting for a AAA title and the discussion veering towards DLC with the game yet having been developed. These days we see companies releasing games at full price in essentially beta stage, where pretty much the consumers become their testers. It's ridiculous. Content is hidden under a DLC wall, season passes, and micro-transactions. Just absurd. Corporate greed has been running and ruining gaming for far too long now, if you ask me. It's time to stop.

It's because of this type of behavior that I think a crash would be purely beneficial. However, I reckon that it may take longer given many gamers these days seem to be way too complacent.

Anyway, just my two coins.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:49:08 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 02:15:10 am »
I don't agree that DLC is bad at all. You get to play more of a game you already like...that's fantastic. It breathes new life into a game after the campaign is completed. If you don't like the game, you don't have to be obligated to that DLC, either.

I also don't agree that older games gave you a better value because it was "complete" day 1. A lot of those older games could be beaten in a matter of a couple hours or less. While modern games, before you ever get any DLC, is multiple hours or more of entertainment. Before you ever get the DLC you are often getting more entertainment bang for your buck than old games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying modern games are better than old games. But I'm definitely not onboard with DLC being some sort of problem, it's the opposite.

kashell

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 12:06:54 pm »
In all honestly, it would mean nothing to me. In my eyes—and let me emphasize that—IN MY EYES gaming changed for the worst with the advent of DLC. Ever since that concept became a reality (in this day and age), everything slowly devolved into a greedy practice. Don't get me wrong, overall, I think DLC isn't intrinsically a bad idea because in the end its intended premise is to extend/expand your experience with the game, it's merely there to provide some sort of extra, an incentive at a modest price. However, as the years went on it became the main focus of a game. I mean, I can only imagine a meeting for a AAA title and the discussion veering towards DLC with the game yet having been developed. These days we see companies releasing games at full price in essentially beta stage, where pretty much the consumers become their testers. It's ridiculous. Content is hidden under a DLC wall, season passes, and micro-transactions. Just absurd. Corporate greed has been running and ruining gaming for far too long now, if you ask me. It's time to stop.

It's because of this type of behavior that I think a crash would be purely beneficial. However, I reckon that it may take longer given many gamers these days seem to be way too complacent.

Anyway, just my two coins.

I think this sums up my thoughts on both DLC and what would happen to it in the event of another crash.

I remember when DLC used to be called unlockable content.

Flashback2012

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 03:33:30 pm »
Another Video Game Crash? Like this one?  :P

I'm hoping I can get this for a good price once Black Friday rolls around.  ;)

theflea

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 11:14:49 am »
Depends on what crash you're talking about?

A crash where retro games will flood the market and loose a ton of value?
I will be catching up on everything I had a hard time affording. lol
I started collecting because love of the games/art/history, not value. :P

If your talking about what happened in 1983 and people stop buying new games and game companies struggle to stay afloat. While I don't think it will hurt me personally to much. I'll still be collecting and buying games.
Biggest worry I have is once they faze out physical copies. (yes I know the companies are going that route)
But once it does It just means I can focus more on the games I missed and I'll only be buying a few new games a year just because I want to play them bad enough that I'll download the game. (maybe wait for sales)
I know one thing for sure, the minute they go 100% digital they will be loosing a ton of money from my wallet.  :P
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 11:38:23 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:38:36 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 04:10:46 pm »
Bumped 12/26/2019

I think more people in the future will be into Mobil cell phone games since I assume more people seem to have cell/smart phones these days than consoles.

I have a new hope for video games, people love them, collectors love to collect them. they may start being less greedy once they find out. As long as people love modern video games they won't collapse completely but may be in the decline, fact is just like the movie industry video game developers are losing newer ideas.

and if company factories refuse to produce any games someone will :)

It should be cheaper to make retro games and older technology God willing video games both retro and new and may never die completely.

free games are still out there and the new ones at least are legal to obtain and physical copies should come into format if the supply is in demand and if they sell. I know Music CDs and DVDs still sell so.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 04:21:05 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"