Author Topic: Idea for digital/physical combo games using proximity chips. Best of both worlds  (Read 1997 times)

Hello everyone!  :D

I know based on the title it sounds confusing.  But I thought of an idea for modern gaming that would be such a monumental thing for physical collectors who also like the convenience of digital gaming.  :)   It's like the great equalizer that gives us the seemless swapping of digital games and the conveneince of an all digital library but the physical disc for those who want to own the games and trade them. 

The idea is heavily inspired by the remote keyless entry of new cars.   If you have a newer model car or have rented one.  You may notice that you don't have to phyiscally insert the key into the car.   The car actually unlocks itself once it detects that you have gotten close to it by a chip that is inside the key.   Same with keyless start cars.   You press a button and it knows you own the car because the key is on your person and near it.

The best way to describe it, is to think of the car as the console.  and they key as the game.   

Imagine each disc having a very small micro ship inside of it.  Or some sort of micro chip on this disc edge.   And when it is in a 50 feet proximity to the console.   You can begin playing it from your digital library.    Because the console will know that you do in fact own the game.  But it will save you the time and annoyance of swapping discs.  When you just want to lay in bed and play seemlessly.    It's like accessing your entire physical collection without actually swapping the discs :D.      It also doesn't worry the company that 2 people will use the same game because it's impossible because it will only play with the console it is downloaded on.   Each sensor will be specific to the downloaded file. 

With current gen consoles, if you download a game,  you still have to have the disc in the console in order to play it.  If not you could easily sell your games and still play them.   Only digital games can be switched seemlessly from the comfort of your couch with the UI. 

But if the Xbox or PS5 could sense if the chip was near it just like the key fob,  it could let you play the game with assurance that you do in fact own it as it is nearby.     Same way a car lets you access it with the key even without inserting it. 

I really hope we see techonology like this.  Because it gives all the perks of both digital and physical collecting in one.  The convenience of not having to swap a disc anytime you want to change games but also the neatness of curating a collection and haven't actual physical media to sell or trade. 

Does anyone think this is a good idea?  :D     Has it ever been tired?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Not interested in anything that isn't a physical copy only.  Once the industry goes completely digital / streaming I am 100% out. I have hundreds of games to play and so many games that I won't even get to play them all in my lifetime. 

I'm not sure this would really pan out in the long run. If you never have to handle the physical media to use it, it's kind of pointless- a part of the fun of having everything on disc/cart is the touchy-feely-fiddly stuff. Also accessibility- if the proximity chip only works on a certain console, then I can't bring the game to a friend's house. If my console breaks, my games quit working, regardless of if I still have them or not.

On the digital side, it adds hassle- you have to keep your games stored within the sensor's range or they won't play. You have to store games period- digital only saves space. And for systems like the switch, you have to take your games with you when you go places or they won't be accessible.

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure it provides any real, practical benefit.

Not interested in anything that isn't a physical copy only.  Once the industry goes completely digital / streaming I am 100% out. I have hundreds of games to play and so many games that I won't even get to play them all in my lifetime.

hate to say this but I been out since I first started wanting to become a collector in 2015, PS4 games are digital from what I understand, even though you can buy the disc, you still have to download the game off a possible limited time server, I won't even buy PS3 games anymore :(

xbox one I think is the same

I'm not sure this would really pan out in the long run. If you never have to handle the physical media to use it, it's kind of pointless- a part of the fun of having everything on disc/cart is the touchy-feely-fiddly stuff. Also accessibility- if the proximity chip only works on a certain console, then I can't bring the game to a friend's house. If my console breaks, my games quit working, regardless of if I still have them or not.

On the digital side, it adds hassle- you have to keep your games stored within the sensor's range or they won't play. You have to store games period- digital only saves space. And for systems like the switch, you have to take your games with you when you go places or they won't be accessible.

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure it provides any real, practical benefit.

yes I agree
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:40:57 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

hate to say this but I been out since I first started wanting to become a collector in 2015, PS4 games are digital from what I understand, even though you can buy the disc, you still have to download the game off a possible limited time server, I won't even buy PS3 games anymore :(

No, you INSTALL the games via disc. The only 2 exceptions that I know of are Tony Hawk (Only the tutorial is on disc) and the new Modern Warfare (Not sure what on the disc) Now, a lot of games (Especially newer ones) have patches that you need to download, but you could certainly play the game offline without them (Though a few games may be broken without them). You can install and play almost every game without being connected to the internet....both PS4 and XB1.

No, you INSTALL the games via disc. The only 2 exceptions that I know of are Tony Hawk (Only the tutorial is on disc) and the new Modern Warfare (Not sure what on the disc) Now, a lot of games (Especially newer ones) have patches that you need to download, but you could certainly play the game offline without them (Though a few games may be broken without them). You can install and play almost every game without being connected to the internet....both PS4 and XB1.

thanks for clearing that up @Wolff242 I was not too sure on that,  this makes me want a PS4 or Xbox one more now

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

thanks for clearing that up @Wolff242 I was not too sure on that,  this makes me want a PS4 or Xbox one more now

I should clarify one thing- On Xbox One- backwards compatible (Xbox/Xbox 360) games ARE downloads, even if you have the discs.

I should clarify one thing- On Xbox One- backwards compatible (Xbox/Xbox 360) games ARE downloads, even if you have the discs.

got it :)

NO APPS NEEDED

pzeke

Don't get me wrong, I own digital games myself, but if the industry does go fully digital/streaming in the future, buh-bye.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!