Author Topic: Name Some Currently Expensive Yet Common Retro Video Games  (Read 5377 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Name Some Currently Expensive Yet Common Retro Video Games
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 09:36:36 pm »
GameCube titles are odd like that, but it is important to remember that even though these games are the best selling on their consoles that GC was still easily the lowest selling console of the generation, so compared to their PS2 and XB contemporaries these games are harder to find.
Actually, I believe that Xbox and Gamecube sold about the same.

gamecube sold about 30% less than xbox in the states and europe. in japan on the otherhand xbox is uber rare compared to gamecube.

In North America, it honestly feels like GameCube was a bit more obscure than that. Walk into any given game store and the GC selection is 1/3 the original Xbox selection, which itself is about 1/3 the PS2 selection. By that token, often a selection of GC titles are about 70% multiplat shovelware, whereas the availability of more premium titles on Xbox and PS2 is typically a lot higher. GameCube feels almost as obscure as Dreamcast. Maybe not that drastically hard to come by, but damn near it for a system that seemed to do okay back when. This is not a recent trend either, I never had much luck finding GC games, even back when I first started to collect.

Ironically, I found a stack of some pretty decent ones sitting out by the curb, waiting to be picked up by the garbage disposal this year, including Melee.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:42:35 pm by Warmsignal »

ferraroso

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 04:54:48 am »
gamecube sold about 30% less than xbox in the states and europe. in japan on the otherhand xbox is uber rare compared to gamecube.

Indeed, original Xbox (actually, Xbox One as well) games are, if not rare, at least unusual around here in Japan.
However, since Game Cube games came in a small plastic box covered by a carton sleeve, good games (such as the Zeldas, Marios etc) in good condition (or complete in box) tend to be much more expensive than the vast majority of Xbox games, even in Japan.

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2019, 07:19:22 am »
Can "Conkers Bad Fur Day" be considered a common yet expensive retro game? according the database 923 members
currently have this game and 300 people have this game on their wishlist's if the Nintendo 64 version is rare than I guess most people would be SOL in ever obtaining this game. I did hear of a watered down port of this game on xbox with some of it's adult themes removed.

Is Conkers Bad Fur Day really rare I ask? or just not enough in demand

https://vgcollect.com/item/4968

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2019, 10:51:49 am »
Can "Conkers Bad Fur Day" be considered a common yet expensive retro game? according the database 923 members
currently have this game and 300 people have this game on their wishlist's if the Nintendo 64 version is rare than I guess most people would be SOL in ever obtaining this game. I did hear of a watered down port of this game on xbox with some of it's adult themes removed.

Is Conkers Bad Fur Day really rare I ask? or just not enough in demand

https://vgcollect.com/item/4968

nothing with such prices can be considered common. and if it really was deals with these games in it would be quite easy to find. you should not need to buy it for those prices than. if anything can be considered common it means that you can find it for cheap rather easily because there is so much of it.

FF VII is a nice example of something being common while having some value. but as hyped as a game is. there is always a cap in price when it is to common. it won't reach certain price lvl's when it is easy to find if an item is common.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:54:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2019, 11:02:48 am »
Price aside, yes Conker’s Bad Fur day is at minimum an Uncommon game.  It sold poorly on initial release, and it released in the back end of the console lifecycle.  These are the perfect two criteria to make a game hard to find.

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2019, 10:20:47 pm »
I see sooooo many copies of Conker. I think the demand for it is actually lower than it's supply, however low that might be, which being published by RARE as a "second party" developer for Nintendo I can't imagine was terribly low.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2019, 11:20:24 am »
I worked in the video game section of Toys R Us back between 2003-04, and we had literal stacks of Bad Fur Day that we couldn’t sell. There were so many of them. Even back then, I was thinking that maybe I should pick up one or two to keep in the box...in hindsight, I guess I should have.

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2019, 02:51:54 am »
I worked in the video game section of Toys R Us back between 2003-04, and we had literal stacks of Bad Fur Day that we couldn’t sell. There were so many of them. Even back then, I was thinking that maybe I should pick up one or two to keep in the box...in hindsight, I guess I should have.

I remember old second hand video game stores in the 90s which had tons of nowadays rarities which I just passed on. It's a waste of time to mourn over those missed opportunities. Keep in mind that you have to take care 20-25 years of those items just to make a few hundret bucks profit. That's not even close to a month salary for most of us.

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »

I remember old second hand video game stores in the 90s which had tons of nowadays rarities which I just passed on. It's a waste of time to mourn over those missed opportunities. Keep in mind that you have to take care 20-25 years of those items just to make a few hundret bucks profit. That's not even close to a month salary for most of us.

i agree with that unless you where working in a store with 50 brand new cib copies of earthbound in the bargain bin. some stores had that. or where the kinda guy that called all winners for the grey and gold carts and bought them all up for 30 to 1100$
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 03:29:44 am »
i agree with that unless you where working in a store with 50 brand new cib copies of earthbound in the bargain bin. some stores had that. or where the kinda guy that called all winners for the grey and gold carts and bought them all up for 30 to 1100$

Well that's a different story. But still, you would need to reserve space for lots of games for over 20 years without even knowing if their market value will ever justify the effort.

necrosexual

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2020, 04:56:44 pm »
^and considering this is an industry that had a fad crash a decade or so earlier in the states... and nintendo was never as popular in europe as overseas... the question of "is it worth playing janitor for 20yrs for a maybe increased market value?" becomes less obviously "yes" and more obviously "do i look like a beanie baby scrub?"

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

pzeke

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2020, 07:34:47 pm »
[...] It's a waste of time to mourn over those missed opportunities. Keep in mind that you have to take care 20-25 years of those items just to make a few hundret bucks profit. That's not even close to a month salary for most of us.

Yeah, I held a few games that nowadays go for a lot that I genuinely would love to own, and I learned it does you no good grieving over those loses. As someone who held Ninja Five-O and chose Double Dragon Advance over it, I can honestly say, while I will internally say to myself, "Damn.", I no longer put much thought into it. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say, and you can't turn back time (yet), so you gots to move on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:43:05 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!