Author Topic: Do games ever feel worth $60?  (Read 2681 times)

Do games ever feel worth $60?
« on: January 17, 2020, 04:23:40 pm »
Almost never.

Re: Do games ever feel worth $60?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 04:36:55 pm »
Most of the time.  It's rare that I find a game that isn't worth the 60 bucks these days.  The only times I do, is usually if the game is under like 15 to 20 hours and has no notable replay value afterwards.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »
Most of the time.  It's rare that I find a game that isn't worth the 60 bucks these days.  The only times I do, is usually if the game is under like 15 to 20 hours and has no notable replay value afterwards.
So every single player game for the last 30 years.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:51 pm »
If I had a massive income it would not matter, but I don't. so It would depend on how bad I would want and and it would have to be something I could keep and play for as long as it would naturally last
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:11:31 pm »

Have you played any games in recent years? Because it doesn't sound like you have.  Just in this past generation there's God of War, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Spider-Man, Fallout 4, Super Mario Odyssey, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Monster Hunter World, and that's just some of the longer games, not counting shorter games with good replay value like the recent Resident Evil games or something like Doom.

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 08:18:40 pm »
Rarely ever. Which is why I’m happy that the majority of new retail releases aren’t starting at $60. In 2010, probably 90% of new releases were $60. Now it’s only like 40% that are. Lots of games now are retailing at 50, 40, and 30.... sometimes less. Then if you wait 6 months, or less you’ll see the DLC packages added into a complete edition, essentially for free.

For me 60 is just too steep for an industry that’s long been out of intriguing new ideas.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 09:59:59 pm »
The kinda games I like are rarely $60. Usually $30-40.

Technically I spent $90 for Monster Hunter World ($30 for base game, $60 for Iceborne). It was DAMN worth it. Abundant content, enjoyable multiplayer- I got good and hooked on that.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 11:17:55 pm »
Ever, yes. Most of the time, no.

I rarely buy games at launch for full price just because I'm not sure the game will be worth $60 to me. It's all subjective though; it isn't about the game's length or how much content is crammed into it. It's about how much you enjoy it and how much owning it means to you. I have shmups that you can beat in half an hour that I paid hundreds of dollars for, but most of them I absolutely love. The ones I didn't love, at least in relation to what I paid, I sold off. likewise, I've found games for way under what they're typically worth, only to find that I still felt ripped off because of how unenjoyable the game was to me. Again, it's all relative and subjective.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 11:51:36 pm »
If I can get 4-5 or more hours of entertainment out of it, then yes, $60 is worth it.

cirdan77

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 04:02:54 am »
Almost no game is worth $60... not unless it is some really rare print or an older difficult to acquire import.

I think people are morons if they actually pay $60 for a new game since (just about) every damn game ever made ends up eventually dropping to $20 or so if you simply wait awhile.

At any given time, >>95% of the greatest games ever made were made over a year ago. So what's with the obsession with whatever is brand new??

Have a brain and just wait a bit. Your pocket book will reward you. You'll be able to own 2 to 3 times more games.
And perhaps you might even have some money left over to get out of your parents basement and live on your own.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 05:18:46 am »
Almost no game is worth $60... not unless it is some really rare print or an older difficult to acquire import.

I think people are morons if they actually pay $60 for a new game since (just about) every damn game ever made ends up eventually dropping to $20 or so if you simply wait awhile.

At any given time, >>95% of the greatest games ever made were made over a year ago. So what's with the obsession with whatever is brand new??

Have a brain and just wait a bit. Your pocket book will reward you. You'll be able to own 2 to 3 times more games.
And perhaps you might even have some money left over to get out of your parents basement and live on your own.

There's nothing wrong with people enjoying something when it's new.  Waiting a year or longer can mean a game's story and surprises could be spoiled.  In multiplayer situations, jumping into a game that late means you could be way behind the curve of most other players.  Maybe you just don't want to miss out on playing a game alongside friends and sharing in the experiences you had.  Or folks have been waiting for years for the game to come out and just don't want to wait longer for a sale.  Plenty of games are absolutely worth the initial asking price with the many hours of gameplay they offer.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 05:52:25 am »
it's a hell lot cheaper than other activities so I could see why people just go ahead and spend 60$.

even for 20 hours of fun that's 3$ an hour going to a cinema nice dinner costs way more than that let alone games with more playtime. other activities could end up being way more pricy aswell

Also you got to remember withouth those people that spend 60$ on a game no new games are being made. the people that buy it way later on barely help for sales. so buying late or ealry both have their postives and cons.

furthermore we got dlc and micro transactions in games because the basegame price of 60 isnt higher for bigger titles. so not to sure if that's a great thing.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 08:02:17 am »
There's nothing wrong with people enjoying something when it's new.  Waiting a year or longer can mean a game's story and surprises could be spoiled.  In multiplayer situations, jumping into a game that late means you could be way behind the curve of most other players.  Maybe you just don't want to miss out on playing a game alongside friends and sharing in the experiences you had.  Or folks have been waiting for years for the game to come out and just don't want to wait longer for a sale.  Plenty of games are absolutely worth the initial asking price with the many hours of gameplay they offer.

Yep- for me, Final Fantasy 13 is a great example of this. There aren't going to be a lot of people saying it was good enough to warrant that $60 price, but I don't regret buying it. I was going to a con a couple weeks after it came out, and I wanted to be up to speed on the new big game for once. No regrets from that perspective... although it did take me months to actually finish the game after the con becuase I wasn't that into it!

telly

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 08:22:30 am »

Lol okay every game since 1990 we'll roll with that. Gotta love those long content filled NES games.

But we go to the movie theatre and it's like 10 bucks for like a 2 hour flick. Or we get a fancy dinner and it's like 50.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery