Author Topic: Sealed and re-sealed games. Need help with this one.  (Read 4468 times)

Sealed and re-sealed games. Need help with this one.
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:29:29 pm »
  Hi all !! During my game hunting I occasionally run across sealed copies of games. Usually it's pretty easy to tell the difference between sealed and re-sealed games. By looking at examples all over the internet and the few videos on the subject. I've learned to take caution when buying and especially selling sealed games. I'm not sure if there are that many people out there that want to take you for some cash. Or if the people selling re-sealed games just got ahold of a copy from a resale game store and just don't know the difference.

Either way it can be confusing and very frustrating finding out that the sealed game you paid good money for. Turns out to be a used copy with a fresh shrink wrap job on it. With that being said I'm looking to get some help from the community with one I just bought for my collection. I don't know much about PS2 seals outside of they have y-folds at top and bottom, and used to have that strip at the top that opened like a cigarette pack back when.

Ok so I bought a copy of "The incredible hulk ultimate destruction" at a flea market for 3 bucks.   Now at first it looked legit because of these "Y" folds.  .   

But I noticed two things. One there isn't a label at the top that gives the title, upc , and has that little reflective tape tab. I realize that packaging changes with manufacturer and also later games were packaged differently. Then there is this seam along the open edge of the case. Its not like a heat shrink seam, it looks machine folded. Yet something just seems off, i can open the folds a tiny bit and expose the case.  . Granted it's been since 2005 that I've bought a new PS2 game, and since had sold the collection,, uggh feel sick even typing that. Live and learn...

I was hoping that someone who has more knowledge and experience with PS2 can tell me if this is a legit sealed copy or a very well done re-seal. I generally don't collect sealed anything because you can't play it or look to make sure it's actually all there. However someone out there might and I might be able to use it as trade material later on down the road.

Thanks for reading, I'm still learning the way posts on this site are usually done. Plus trying to get an image posted was really difficult for some reason and small thumbs were the only ones that would work on some pics for me for whatever reason..

Re: Sealed and re-sealed games. Need help with this one.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:06:55 pm »
Looks legit to me. Y fold on top and bottom, seam along side, hard crinkly shrink wrap. The later release PS2 games didn’t have the sticker seal at the top. Depending where it sold retail, it may or may not have a hang tab.

Either way, $3 is cheap as hell.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:16:58 pm »
I’m not an expert on the topic, but I’ll throw in my 2¢ i. 
If it’s got the ole Y-seal, it’s legit. Who’s going to take the time to fake a seal on Incredible Hulk?

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:08:10 pm »
I’m not an expert on the topic, but I’ll throw in my 2¢ i. 
If it’s got the ole Y-seal, it’s legit. Who’s going to take the time to fake a seal on Incredible Hulk?
Because its sealed price is 5 times its cib price.  It does look legit though.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:13:49 pm »
Thanks guys! I thought so, and that is a very good point. No one would take the time to re-seal the hulk for monetary gain lol. I just thought maybe a re seller may have sealed it just to keep dust out and make it more appealing. Even then it's more likely to have ended up in a bargain bin.

Cool I may open it just because I've never played it and it looks somewhat fun. 

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:20:47 pm »
Not to be mean, but maybe next time make sure to post your images below your typed message instead of sprinkling them about; they made it a chore going through your post.

Anyway, yeah, it’s a genuine seal – great game by the way. If I were you I’d sell it and get it used; there’s a good profit margin in it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 08:55:28 am »
Not to be mean, but maybe next time make sure to post your images below your typed message instead of sprinkling them about; they made it a chore going through your post.

Anyway, yeah, it’s a genuine seal – great game by the way. If I were you I’d sell it and get it used; there’s a good profit margin in it.
   Yeah I agree it is a chore, the image to words ratio looked better before edits. But what I thought would be a Pic ending a paragraph just ended up a mess. Since I've been having trouble getting my imgur links to work, once they did I just said hey good enough. Bare with me buddy they'll get better. Just got lazy.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 09:57:53 am »
Hey, I get it; it can be a confusing process at first. You'll get the hang of it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 01:39:40 pm »
I've never heard of anyone faking a Y fold seal. Usually reseals are done with cheap shrink wrapping guns that leave a line around the entire package and bunch up in the corners. But then, some actual brand new titles have been shipped that way as well. So the best way to tell after opening, is check the disc and manual for super crispness and super cleanness. A new disc is hard to fake, because it's easy to go from 100% immaculate to 99% with just the slightest bit of use. If you aren't opening, I'd say it safe to assume that one is new.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 08:40:23 pm »
I wasn't aware that some ps2 games were released without the sticker seal at the top.That's good to know and that Y seam looks legit to me.