Author Topic: What Equipment Have You Had To Replace Or Repair In Your Collection?  (Read 1951 times)

This is a topic involving random equipment breakdowns this can involve anything controllers, consoles, PC, accessories, disc drives or ports anything and everything gaming discussion.

I hate having to replace a broken or malfunctioning controller or console or PC, but It happens, unfortunately when I am enjoying a game, something always seems to go wrong, at random. For some reason I've lost 3 wireless PlayStation 3 controllers. Where the console no longer detects them and the reset button no longer works on any of the ones I've played with. 1 off brand wired Xbox360 controller

I also lost at least 4 off brand PlayStation 2 controllers due to them crumbling apart from being cheaply made.

I kept on having to buy Super Nintendo controllers because the cheap ones I had, the wire just cracked leaving the critical wires exposed, but it was at least still full functional

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Equipment Have You Had To Replace Or Repair In Your Collection?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:31 pm »
I've owned like 10 PS2s. They're so unreliable.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 06:21:35 am »

with them ps2 phats I would agree.

My ps2 slim however hasnt failed on me yet 1 single console  that I've had from the beginning. the newest model the 90000 version that is

I've heard that older ps2 slim models could have overheating problems the 70K model for example
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:24:33 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 11:56:12 am »
My first serious failure was a Sega CD that quit spinning something like 15 years ago- but it was on its last legs when I bought it. I occasionally had to, quite literally, prop start the thing (open the tray, manually spin the disc, close the tray quickly & hope it caught). Its replacement has served me well the last many years, but my understanding from the noises it makes these days is it could a use a refurb.

My PS2 (phat model) had the laser go out, but did so back when Sony had to fix them for free. It's been very reliable since.

My OG Xbox began showing signs of corrosion last summer, but I found a local shop to get it repaired. They were impressed at how well cared for the unit was cared for, which both made me happy, and made me wonder what find of machines they normally work on!

My Channel F is my biggest concern right now- it's 2 button has quit working, but it's so old I'm not sure where to find parts/someone to work on it.

I've had several controllers go funny on me, but most of those I could open & fix myself- the only exception is the Wavebird. Debating on if it makes more sense to get a replacement or try & have it repaired.

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:56:35 pm »
I've been relatively lucky for the most part. Apart from a few Xbox 360 power bricks and broken controllers, all of my devices have endured the test of time. I just recently dropped my GBA SP and it shattered on the tile floor after years of drops. I suppose the plastic became brittle, but the device works. I'll find a cool case to put it all in.

Other than that I've had to replaced stolen items. Had my original GBA SP, and DS stolen along with Final Fantasy VI Advanced and Final Fantasy III. Pretty sure my son's Switch was thrown into the garbage by my toddler nephew. So he's already on Switch #2 (Also the last Switch I will ever purchase for him.)

PCs on the other hand. I've had countless hardware deaths. Several dead hard drives, optical drives, bad RAM, dead boards, blown power supplies, and a few smoked motherboards. Had about 5 CRT monitors die on me back in my EverQuest days.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:29:14 pm »
I have replaced my original Dreamcast.
The only repair I can recall is replacing the 7805 on the Master System and fixing cold solder joints.

telly

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 04:44:49 pm »
I've replaced some analog sticks in GameCube controllers, and the laser deck in my PS3.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

r33benelli

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
I have 5 PS2s. 4 slims and 1 phat. Phat i just clean it and dust it. Early models were unreliable.
Slims I've replaced the spindles and 2 of the lasers.
Mostly the spindles plastic disc holder tab would break. Other than that, just general cleaning maintenance and even running mod chips it's been ok.
Also, as mentioned above some ps2 earlier models do run a bit hot. I've modded a few by making vents on the top of the case above the heatsink for heat to rise out.

Ps2 controllers the OEM Model H i think have a higher failure rate.  The circuit board shorts out or something.

Original xbox; I own 4. Only 2 of mine came with clock capacitors and those I removed. All have had at least 2-4 big power capacitors replaced as they were starting to bulge out. Every xbox i've opened has had at least 2 power capacitors on the motherboard bulging.
Disc loader about 1 in 3 needed the rubber dvd drive belt replaced.

Original xbox controllers; squeaky triggers, adding lithium grease makes that go away. 
A lot of the controllers I always have to take apart as that flex section on the cord from the controllers, always frays the wires inside from people wrapping the wire around the controller. Everytime....take apart, strip, cut, solder, heat wrap, hollow out flex joint to give it more bend, reassemble.  I was doing this so often I once bought a lot of 6 'broken' xbox controller for $20. All were frayed, took them apart, cleaned,washed, soldered. Sold them as refurbished for $15 a piece. 

Consoles all have mechanical and electrical components they all go through wear/tear and heat cycles. So I just assume at some point some parts will need service.   

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 05:22:43 pm »

with them ps2 phats I would agree.

My ps2 slim however hasnt failed on me yet 1 single console  that I've had from the beginning. the newest model the 90000 version that is

I've heard that older ps2 slim models could have overheating problems the 70K model for example

I've actually replaced more PS2 Slims than Fats. The Fats definitely fail faster in my experience; I owned two, one stopped reading discs about a year and a half after I got it, and the other lasted maybe 2-years. The slims all died at various times, but most were bought used so I have no idea how much mileage they had on them before I purchased them. I have owned two brand new slims and one lasted about a decade, which is nice, while the other lasted about 4-years. They are certainly more reliable than the fats, but they still are prone to all the same issues, mainly with the disc drive.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:21:44 pm »
One PS2 with a shot laser and an Xbox 360 Slim with a faulty touch sensor.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 08:29:20 pm »
I replaced a 72-pin connector in a NES a few years ago.  I’ve replaced springs and latches in a PS1.  Spliced two N64 controllers together after one cable broke and the others buttons didn’t work.

Most notably I did a bunch of work on my original 360.  I had to replace the disc drive as well as fix the RROD.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:52:51 pm »
Three xbox 360 (red ring),two ps3,one nes (had new pins put in),one snes,one turbografix,one pc,countless controlers,one atari 2600 one gameboy advance (i dropped it and it shattered like glass) that's about it i think.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:59:17 pm by wartoy »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 12:11:25 am »
PS2 Slim got shocked when I went to turn it off one day it never turn on again

PSP- bad analog stick

SNES- one of the boards inside the system went bad mainly noticed it with Donkey Kong Country's background getting screwed up. If i remember correctly it displayed a whole bunch of b's.

OG Xbox- just won't read certain games

shatterstar69

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:55 am »
I have had to replace or repair the following:
Original XBox Console (motherboard)
2 controllers for Xbox 360
Xbox One X system (HDMI port)
Original PSP system
Fat PS3 (YLoD)

Thats all I can think of at the moment but there might be more

Time to make the donuts!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:23 am »
I replaced 2 Xbox360’s. I’ve refurbished countless NESs, SNESs, and N64s.  My daily driver SNES is a horrible Frankenstein broken piece of junk that I pieced together from systems I was refurbing.