Author Topic: Let's talk about collecting retro CIB  (Read 2767 times)

Let's talk about collecting retro CIB
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:09:44 pm »
I am in a bit of dilemma since I started trying to collect complete in box, or what I consider to be (Cartridge, box, & manual). I understand many don't consider this to be complete, and I understand that since it is missing extra inserts, etc. For the sake of not listing here what I already have CIB, I will narrow down my scenario to my SNES games examples.

Back on track: Since I have started a new goal about a year ago (boxing up my cartridges with manual), I have been having a hard time doing so. As you could probably guess, its very challenging to find reasonable prices for this scenario of listings of "box & manual only". I have gotten lucky a few times, but in many cases, my only options are to buy a game that (that I already have) as a CIB listing, thus paying a higher price, and ending up with an extra copy of a game. Since I collect to play, this is somewhat of a burden. On the other hand, for games I don't have yet, this is completely fine, as long as the CIB prices are reasonable.

Again, with the cartridges I have without boxes..I think of a few scenarios on how to proceed:

-Only collect the original boxes for my favorite titles only

-Collect the boxes for my favorite titles, AND for third party / lower titles in my collection that are only really cheap (example: Fifa International Soccer , Suzuka 8 Hours, etc..)

-Keep trying to get the boxes for all of them (maybe hope the "bubble" will pop soon..  ???)

How would you personally go about this? Any tips or suggestions? How do you justify how much to spend for original boxes, especially in a scenario like this? Do you have a mix of CIB and loose, and have accepted that some of the really high boxed games are fine without the box?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:12:27 pm by ericsnes »

sworddude

Re: Let's talk about collecting retro CIB
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 12:57:45 pm »
I am in a bit of dilemma since I started trying to collect complete in box, or what I consider to be (Cartridge, box, & manual). I understand many don't consider this to be complete, and I understand that since it is missing extra inserts, etc. For the sake of not listing here what I already have CIB, I will narrow down my scenario to my SNES games examples.

IMO if the extra inserts do not include exclusive postcards with the title of the game or an exclusive poster or anything that isn't inside other games. Just a manual box and cardridge is complete in box than in my opinion.

Because the missing inserts/ plastic baggies where pretty much in every game pretty easy to replace not unique for that game only. if you are a cib collector and you won't buy a game for a deal/good price in pretty much excellent upwards condition especially the box because a common insert is missing wich a ton or pretty much all other games have your an iditiot. There are some of those I assure you. Some collectors don't have logic.

Sure some basic paperwork was either in early or late games from that console era, but again ridiculously easy to replace.

IMO extra inserts only apply towards the cib status if it's unique for that game specificly.

Still if your hoping for a bubble to burst, cart only will happen way sooner than cib. kinda slim pickings for the nice condition cib stuff. bad condition cib doesnt add to much or in some cases no value so if your not to picky about condition it's not that much more pricy compared to lose carts
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:03:56 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 01:12:13 pm »
sword dude,

Thanks for the input.

I completely understand what you are saying. Since I collect to play, I don't necisarily want/  need to have a "mint" shape box, and every single original insert. I suppose some do. To each their own. But I will say that I do like to have the boxes and manuals a nice little extra. Again, *if* the price is reasonable.

Let me propose this:  there are still a few of the great SNES exclusives I want such as Super Metroid. I've held off on it because I would love to have it with the original box, etc. But this game is a prime example of the value being way too high. Should I just pick up cartridge and maybe someday find its box, or go all in for it? Maybe you have already answered my question, but what would you personally do?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:15:16 pm by ericsnes »

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:23:28 pm »

IMO if the extra inserts do not include exclusive postcards with the title of the game or an exclusive poster or anything that isn't inside other games. Just a manual box and cardridge is complete in box than in my opinion.

Because the missing inserts/ plastic baggies where pretty much in every game pretty easy to replace not unique for that game only. if you are a cib collector and you won't buy a game for a deal/good price in pretty much excellent upwards condition especially the box because a common insert is missing wich a ton or pretty much all other games have your an iditiot. There are some of those I assure you. Some collectors don't have logic.

Sure some basic paperwork was either in early or late games from that console era, but again ridiculously easy to replace.

IMO extra inserts only apply towards the cib status if it's unique for that game specificly.

Still if your hoping for a bubble to burst, cart only will happen way sooner than cib. kinda slim pickings for the nice condition cib stuff.

I think he is referring to game-specific items. Many SNES games, particularly RPGs and Strategy games came with maps and data charts. Many of them came with posters as well.

As a SNES Collector myself, I have a mix of CIB, cart and box only, or loose cart games in my collection. I try to get CIB when possible, but if the price is outrageous... well, I'd rather spend that money on more games than cardboard.

I have been gradually getting clamshell cases like this for all my loose carts though, because it looks sharp on a shelf, and opening them reminds me of renting a game in the early 90s, and I love that hit of nostalgia. Image isn't mine, just an example I found on google.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:39:16 pm »
sword dude,

Thanks for the input.

I completely understand what you are saying. Since I collect to play, I don't necisarily want/  need to have a "mint" shape box, and every single original insert. I suppose some do. To each their own. But I will say that I do like to have the boxes and manuals a nice little extra. Again, *if* the price is reasonable.

Let me propose this:  there are still a few of the great SNES exclusives I want such as Super Metroid. I've held off on it because I would love to have it with the original box, etc. But this game is a prime example of the value being way too high. Should I just pick up cartridge and maybe someday find its box, or go all in for it? Maybe you have already answered my question, but what would you personally do?

Finding a lose cart is easy, just the manual it's doable unless where talking anything not cardboard related than it's hell. still even for cardboard based games especially for the more niche games finding a manual can still be quite challenging and to increase speed still pricy, manuals can fetch quite the amount depending on the game sometimes more than the price of the cardridge

Finding an empty box later, that's going to be quite the treasure hunt  :o

If you want to go for a complete game try to get it at least boxed.

Finding an empty box withouth a cart is quite a nightmare wether you want to pay full price or not. you'd probably buy a complete in box or boxed game with a cart way later on since you will most likely not find a box only otherwise. you might find empty boxes from time to time, but obviously if your seeking stuff for specific games you will not get those in my experience. your more likely to find the stuff for a good price that you don't really want atm.

If you want to go cart only and try to complete a game way later on by finding a lose box and manual, I would go in with the mentality that it might never happen but that your ok with that. your in it for the long haul. if prices do drop thanks to a bubble than by all means buy a cib one for cheap to complete your game.

Personally I always try to go for cib. if the game is only boxed but the box is in superb condition than I can accept boxed, manuals are easier to find let alone in decent shape compared to boxes.

I think he is referring to game-specific items. Many SNES games, particularly RPGs and Strategy games came with maps and data charts. Many of them came with posters as well.

ofcourse charts maps extra guides, exclusive warranty cards with a games title etc etc is what I meant with game specific stuff those kinda items you will never find in other games. sure if a game has such paperwork and it's missing those than yes I would not count it as cib. I meant the normal commercial leaflets or basic paperwork and plastic baggies that a ton of other games have aswell.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:47:31 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:25:45 pm »
sealed Plastic bags might help protect a loose box or a loose cartridge. humidity or dampness can destroy cardboard boxes if you're not careful you can get bugs/insects in them. I don't collect Complete In Box, but when it comes to disc based games? I don't like them loose at all. Unless their in a some kind of plastic CD/DVD case.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:06:07 pm »
For me disc base games and newer game systems like Switch,Vita,Psp,Ds,3Ds the games must be cib. The older systems that used carbord boxes like Nes,Snes,N64,Gb,Gba,game gear,jaguar,turbo grafix these systems I consider myself lucky to have found them at all.Though sometimes you might get lucky and find a reasonably priced cib game it's not a must have for me. Except Sega Genesis and Master System games I usually have to have it cib due to the fact these are easier to find cib imo.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:22:16 pm »
I don't particularly care if cartridge-based games aren't CIB, but discs have to AT LEAST have a case and label. I gotta have something to display on my shelves. NES and SNES games have labels on the top of the carts, so I'm cool with getting those loose. I have custom label stickers for N64 games. The only exception is handheld games, since they're typically hard to display anyways.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:00:06 am »
I don't particularly care if cartridge-based games aren't CIB, but discs have to AT LEAST have a case and label.

That's how I look at it too. If the game came with a case it was designed to be put into, I want that case; If the packaging was meant to be discarded, not as big of an issue.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:57 am »
I don't particularly care if cartridge-based games aren't CIB, but discs have to AT LEAST have a case and label.

That's how I look at it too. If the game came with a case it was designed to be put into, I want that case; If the packaging was meant to be discarded, not as big of an issue.

Interesting I collected cib in excellent shape for cheap on purpose for the following reasons

- If I where to go cart only I would be less motivated to complete a game someday.

- Keeping the collection smaller wouldn't grow as big as if I where to accept all conditions lose carts etc + i would never be dissatisfied since the condition is always pretty nice or that something was missing.

Still the keeping the collection small part to prevent a backlog didn't work out in the end  ::)

have an everdrive for a ton of these systems I'm not to worried about missing out on gameplay to ever collect cart only.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:24:38 am by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 10:41:59 pm »
I'm always hesitant to crash a thread like this by plugging myself, but as I've mentioned a few times - I do make and sell reproductions of game boxes. By that, I mean actual cardboard boxes with trays in them, not the plastic shells.... and not to toot my own horn, but they are very high quality as I've put tons of work into them over the years. If you wanna know more, PM me. Of course, they are labeled as reproductions. I don't do manuals because lord..... to actually do them the right way, would take loads of R&D that I'm just not willing to put in. Re-engineering a manual by hand? Such a headache.

If you want to go totally authentic, I don't blame you. Ironically, I'm the same way. In that case, I'd say stick to the boxes of your best games only. Or your favorites. I wouldn't bother with the cruddy games, but personally I don't even buy or own games that I don't like. Inevitably, you'll probably take a liking to a game that is missing one hell of an expensive piece of cardboard that you don't have. Which is precisely why I got into the box reproduction thing. It's cardboard. We were all stupid back then, and now people are taking advantage to the max. I've admittedly bought a $100 piece of cardboard before. Not proud of it, but sometimes you really want that authentic article. Carts just don't present well on their own. I don't like end labels personally.

Manuals, I think I can live without if I've got the box, but manuals don't run quite as much often times.

I've considered going 100% CIB for my N64 games, but there are a few that are just ridiculously expensive. A Bomberman Second Attack box? Yikes. So the only collection I'm going total CIB on is my Jag collection, because there's only a couple of expensive CIB ones and not many games all together that I want to get. As for my other collections I'll stick to just my favorites CIB, and then my own reproduction boxes for all the rest. Don't forget box protectors too, that's pretty much essential if you're going to buy a bunch of cardboard.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:44:17 pm by Warmsignal »