Author Topic: Gaming Magazines Being Cheap  (Read 972 times)

Gaming Magazines Being Cheap
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:32:04 pm »
This is something I never thought about before, but is collecting Gaming Magazines cheaper than collecting games?  I notice some first issues of Nintendo Power go for between 150-200 on eBay, which is still very cheap imo.  I actually bought Electronic Gaming Monthly #9 for $28 (plus s/h) which I thought was a good deal considering it's age and how good condition it was in (Don't worry, I'm an old eBay afficiando, I ask all the right questions and the guy didn't set off any alarms in my head)  Is it just because magazines aren't as collectible?  Or am I just not seeing the really valuable ones yet?

Maybe I should expand my collection to include the good ol' gaming mags too.

Re: Gaming Magazines Being Cheap
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 01:41:28 pm »
There's simply just not as big a market for magazines as there are for games. Old magazines really only appeal to collectors, where the games themselves appeal to both collectors and casual players. While specific issues may be rare and valuable for various reasons, for the most part, old magazines are going to be pretty cheap, especially if they're in anything less than mint condition.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 02:02:21 pm »
There's simply just not as big a market for magazines as there are for games. Old magazines really only appeal to collectors, where the games themselves appeal to both collectors and casual players. While specific issues may be rare and valuable for various reasons, for the most part, old magazines are going to be pretty cheap, especially if they're in anything less than mint condition.

Well, hey, that works for me!  Don't haveta worry about going bust!

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 03:06:06 pm »
Strategy guides are way more collectable.

way more info about the specific game an entire guide after all, extra info all maps secrets and more pictures and art about the game. character descriptions etc

A gaming magazine  is just a small bit of info about allot of games sometimes a bigger section with maps etc for some of the bigger titles, cheat codes etc but especially reviews.

Personally I'd rather look through a strategy guide than a gaming magazine. What does a gaming magazine have, reviews otherwise I'm alright, a ton of gaming magazines are pretty boring aswell only few are actually decent.

Still 150 - 250$ for nintendo power issue 1 is still allot. where not talking rare comics here after all, these magazines are not rare by any means. still they could probably fetch more if they graded them like with comics. however, a ton of games cib in the nes and snes department aren't even in that price range

I think it's doing just fine, I highly doubt those prices will get that much higher unless the games also skyrocket in price. it's just a gaming magazine after all a ton of collectors aren't even interested in those. very select market within the collecting scene in wich majority that do collect them only go for nintendo power and ignore pretty much everything else, wich is understandable since allot of gaming mags aren't good basicly paper weight.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:20:06 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:38:22 am »
I guess it's all relative. Yes, overall collecting video game magazines is cheaper than collecting video games overall, but just like video games you're going to have certain issues or certain magazines that fetch more of a premium given their importance or rarity. There are issues like some of the first 10 issues of Nintendo Power that sell for more than most games, but you're still not spending over $100 each for them or anything. Most retro game magazines I've come across go for under $5, so yeah, it's still pretty cheap.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 01:15:47 pm »
It's not exactly a desirable thing.  I grab magazines when I see them if they are basically free.  I think I bought a tote of stuff from a wack ass yard sale one time, it had all sorts of gaming related stuff, paid maybe $5, happened to have like 20 or so Nintendo Power magazines along with other stuff.

I've got so many gaming magazines and the problem really is storage.  Combined they weigh so damned much and they take up so much space for something I'm never really going to read.  I should maybe invest in more Comic Book boxes and just pack them away.