Author Topic: My "strange" copy of Mega Man X2  (Read 1270 times)

My "strange" copy of Mega Man X2
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:22:07 pm »
I have had my copy for quite some time now, and about 2 years ago, I posted in the r/snes reddit forums asking if this was a legit copy.

I asked because it took me a long time to realized that the cartridge shell was not period-appropriate (being the older front locking style, rather than the later style on snes cartridges, like this game should have. Its also obvious that the label has been messed with. When I finally got around to opening up the cartridge, it turns out it was an authentic copy, which was a big relief for me.

My only guess is that something happened to the original shell, and the previous owner very carefully removed the label somehow and transferred it (along with the board) to a different cartridge shell. I guess they didn't think choose the appropriate era?

In any case, just thought I would share this strange story / copy of my game. Anyone else happen to have a copy of Mega Man X2 like this, or a bandaged up "Frankenstein" copy of another game? I kinda like its weirdness. 

https://imgur.com/a/r6KI7cf
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:24:30 pm by ericsnes »

Re: My "strange" copy of Mega Man X2
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:06:59 pm »
Interesting. I don't know a whole lot about SNES games, but when I first looked at the picture I thought maybe it could be from Canada or Mexico, since ESRB is used those places, but looking at the sticker, it is from the US. Strange, I think you're probably right about swapping the shells out but that seems like more trouble than it would be worth to me.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:14:49 pm »
At least it has the official screws, I mean I've seen cartridges without any screws at all holding it together at all mainly Super Mario World Super Nintendo cartridges. Instead I saw holes with no screws before. Just the indication that you can open it up and successfully close the cartridge without Sabotaging  the cartridge case is a good thing. However  the sticker looks like a reprint.

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:21 pm »
I have two copies of Final Fantasy II for SNES. One has the older style front plate on the shell, and the other has the newer style. Both are legit copies with legit labels. As far as I can tell, since Nintendo produced the cart shells and provided them to publishers, they had excess stock of the older style that may have been intermittently sent to publishers even after the newer style became the standard.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 05:40:38 am »
I have had my copy for quite some time now, and about 2 years ago, I posted in the r/snes reddit forums asking if this was a legit copy.

I asked because it took me a long time to realized that the cartridge shell was not period-appropriate (being the older front locking style, rather than the later style on snes cartridges, like this game should have. Its also obvious that the label has been messed with. When I finally got around to opening up the cartridge, it turns out it was an authentic copy, which was a big relief for me.

My only guess is that something happened to the original shell, and the previous owner very carefully removed the label somehow and transferred it (along with the board) to a different cartridge shell. I guess they didn't think choose the appropriate era?

In any case, just thought I would share this strange story / copy of my game. Anyone else happen to have a copy of Mega Man X2 like this, or a bandaged up "Frankenstein" copy of another game? I kinda like its weirdness. 

https://imgur.com/a/r6KI7cf

So here's the thing with megaman x2 and X3

There are fakers out there who take the original japanese counterparts wich cost a fraction and take those circuit boards wich are identical to the usa and european ones only some minimal alterations needed also to set the language in english etc etc in wich you can't see the difference since the boards are pretty much the same.

So your label could potentially be fake but with an original board of the japanese version with alterations to make it western

Pretty profitable to do for especially european megaman X3 wich even cart only goes for a ton. 400+ easy.

in other words could be a frankenstein project with multiple other game carts to make it happen in wich the cardridge has a shell that doesn't seem correct.

not saying that your copy ain't authetic but for megaman X2 and X3 they could make some really legit semi fakes with legit japanese boards, the value is there to make the money.

Still pretty fishy transferring a lable, why would anyone mess with that on a legit copy. could happen but especially the plastic shells are rarely damaged that they are unusable.

Might be a semi fake done wrong or to make it authentic that it has been used making you question it less?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:05:30 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!