Author Topic: How Can Anyone Spot A Fake Game Disk? And Are There Repos Of/CD/DVD?  (Read 5280 times)

I Think I only know of one way to officially spot a fake video game CD/DVD. and that is if ANY game you have with a paper top label, covering the disc is likely just a burned CD-R that someone created using some kind of PC I would assume.

The only problem I have with fake anything is the fact that some, fake things may cause some glitches while playing those games on their dedicated consoles. Plus it may not read on an unmodded consoles like someone else posted on this forum.

Also In another topic, someone mentioned that if the CD/DVD is green? it's a fake? and I don't know what this person is talking about because the top label looks factory done. with the top layer embedded into the disc itself, not a paper label.

I want to ask because I can't find nothing on the internet but I also don't feel like sorting through a bunch or sites to find this information

A minecraft game I have will boot up, not play and also cause my Xbox360 to close the disc tray automatically after 3 seconds often jamming my finger into the tray. And it will do this for everything after I play Minecraft Xbox360 Edition. The only fix is completely remove this game off the Xbox360 hardrive. then it goes back to normal
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:28:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

A fake disc is super duper obvious. Nothing comes close to the type of laminated material they use to print on the face of a disc, and especially those that are semi-transparent prints and are well beyond what a lite scribe could ever dream of doing. Most CDrs/DVDrs or burned discs are very distinct from any kind of disc actually used in console game manufacturing. You can actually see where the data has been burned to the disc and how much of the space was used. Even if you couldn't tell them apart for some reason, there's usually a shiny serial number and "SEGA" trademark for example, that can be found within the reflective edge of any SEGA Saturn disc that no burned disc is ever going to have. To my knowledge, there's just no way to fake any of that convincingly.

95% of fake games are pretty obvious. I rarely have ever seen fake discs, but those I can tell 100% of the time if they're fake. The ones that can pass for being the real thing are cartridge games. While most are easily to spot I've seen a few pretty convincing fakes, particularly GBA Pokemon titles. There was one I found at a local store that I stared at for a few minutes before deciding it was fake due to the ESRB rating logo having a slightly skinner letter than normal. And I was right, but it could have easily passed as the real deal since everything else about it looked spot on. I've seen a couple very convincing SNES fakes as well, but again looking at them long enough will show where the messed up with the repro label.

Re: How Can Anyone Spot A Fake Game Disk? And Are There Repos Of/CD/DVD?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:02:29 pm »
I've noticed that sometimes I can see a PlayStation 1 logo embedded on the reflective side of some vary clean silver backed PlayStation 2 games, I think that that logo is proof that those are real PlayStation 2 games, funny thing is they don't appear all the time, on the same exact disc PS2 games. Also I've seen pokadots on the black side of some PS1 games that don't appear all the time as well.

And Xbox360 games always say Xbox360 on the center of the disc, but they always appear like that though

The image decribes some kind of Official SONY signature

(Image Source)
https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/97csod/just_discovered_there_are_hidden_playstation/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:45:40 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 06:44:01 pm »
Since eventually all real games will break or become unusable, what happens if we want to preserve disc games for the future? are there repo game disc out there. I could imagine it's hard to do. Back in highschool someone told me GameStop once made their own versions of games, and talked about one he had. and how the game he had would freeze up, and how he did not care.

I've noticed some discs I have that have missing numbers or something on the front of the game disc. If repo discs were or are a thing I'd be more happier. Since it's easy to preserve hardware but almost impossible to preserve a game that originally stopped in production over 10-20 years ago.

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 09:13:15 pm »
I don't think you have to worry about fake discs on xbox 360 ps3 and above those consoles are not worth the effort to fake for lol.

backup copies of them olden days exist but they where not meant to fool people. the packaging alone would be an easy giveaway, you don't even have to look at the disc.

still GG's trying to get disc art on a copied game it's to much effort you don't even have to look for smaller details.

It's kinda overkill to worry about fake discs on these newer consoles.

Just look at the top of the disc if it doesn't have disc art it's a fake lol.

The only games that potentiall have nice repro discs are really old mega cd games like snatcher to name some example.

Since eventually all real games will break or become unusable, what happens if we want to preserve disc games for the future?

Pretty much all games for notable consoles are already backed up on emulation sites ready to play.

and probably at least a couple hundred if not 1000's of folks that have hardrives of full console sets.

Normal libraries are already preserved with the exception of super rare shovelware that pretty much no one cares about.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:16:27 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!