Author Topic: De blob  (Read 1466 times)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

De blob
« on: June 06, 2020, 02:45:49 pm »
Hey!
I have been changing a lot of games that have the article at the beginning of the title and I stumbled upon: de Blob.
Now: 'de' is the Dutch article for 'the'. Wouldn't it make sense to change the title to:  Blob, de       or Blob, De (not sure if a capital would be needed for the de).
If I get greenlight I will change all of them from 'de Blob' to Blob, de.
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

Flashback2012

Re: De blob
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:16:35 pm »
Hey!
I have been changing a lot of games that have the article at the beginning of the title and I stumbled upon: de Blob.
Now: 'de' is the Dutch article for 'the'. Wouldn't it make sense to change the title to:  Blob, de       or Blob, De (not sure if a capital would be needed for the de).
If I get greenlight I will change all of them from 'de Blob' to Blob, de.

Yeah I'm not feeling that one. Seems like this one would be an exception to the rule. I mean it's technically correct in what you're saying but I don't think that was the intention of the game's title. I think the creators were going for a more funsy title (aka DEH Blob) instead of a matter-of-fact one (THE Blob). I think it's important to note that the developers, Blue Tongue, were Australian and not Dutch so that lends a bit more credence to it being more a fun title name.

Of course, there have been weirder things processed on this site so I won't be the least bit surprised if that went through.  :P

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 04:24:46 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Blob

De Blob was conceptualised in the Netherlands at the University of Utrecht.
They formed a company: Ronimo Games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronimo_Games

THQ liked it and further along the line gave it to Blue Tongue Entertainment to develop into a Wii Title
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:25:42 pm »
But I see what you mean, okay  ;D
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

Flashback2012

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:04:55 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Blob

De Blob was conceptualised in the Netherlands at the University of Utrecht.
They formed a company: Ronimo Games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronimo_Games

THQ liked it and further along the line gave it to Blue Tongue Entertainment to develop into a Wii Title

I was reading up on that more in depth after I posted and saw that it did have roots in the Netherlands. :P  Maybe they kept it that way to avoid a copyright issue with the movie also named "The Blob" or something? It does cite the lower case de as a stylized change. I guess we'll find out when the mods chime in.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:02 am »
I think that " de Blob" is a one full name, so I think taht it should be in our database like it is now: de Blob.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:17:03 am »
Correct title should be: Blob, de

I will admit that I am unaware of what this title re-arrangement method is called, but while I am aware of how it works for English titles, I am unaware of how it is used with other languages. Remember that we did not invent this naming method. Currently all titles with an article as the first word is moved to the end. This includes German, Dutch, French etc. The exception in French is the contraction title, example: L' which does not get moved.

If any of you in other countries can find reference material on how these sorting systems are used per language, it would be helpful. We'd rather use an official method instead of trying to match other languages to fit into the English based model aka making it up as we go.

The entire naming situation could be handled with code on the site, where lists are sorted by automatically ignoring articles in strings where applicable. In such a scenario, we wouldn't need to re-arrange articles in titles at all.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 11:39:33 am »
Bump on this for another instance, but is more legitimate than de Blob.

In Spain, there are games based on Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar that have a title El Cid. Now, our current convention would be to title these as Cid, El but the name El Cid is the name of a historical figure. The name translates to "The Lord" but in any translation apps, they translate El Cid in Spanish to El Cid in English with a verified translation. However, they also translate El Campeador to The Camper and that is not verified.

So wondering if it will be an issue whether or not the title can be El Cid or Cid, El. And as in the previous post, there have been no resources regarding library/catalog naming sources for other languages including Spanish.

Ref: https://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/el-cid

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 01:14:12 pm »
So wondering if it will be an issue whether or not the title can be El Cid or Cid, El. And as in the previous post, there have been no resources regarding library/catalog naming sources for other languages including Spanish.

When thinking about this situation, my initial thought was to see how similar information is formatted by popular citation standards, such as MLA format. I couldn't find any example citations regarding people's names which begin with an article, but I did find other examples such as ones for TV and radio programs.

From Purdue Owl—which is a highly regarded research resource—I found this example:

Broadcast TV or Radio Program

Begin with the title of the episode in quotation marks. Provide the name of the series or program in italics. Also include the network name, call letters of the station followed by the date of broadcast and city.

"The Blessing Way." The X-Files. Fox, WXIA, Atlanta, 19 Jul. 1998.

However, I know this example is different from the one you've identified. At mla.org, I was able to inquire with an example that would better help the issue at-hand.

I've found information regarding how to format citations regarding songs, albums, and so forth. From my understanding, the artist or band name is the first segment of the citation. However, how does one format instances where this initial information begins with "The"? Below is an example that illustrates the two possible ways such information could be formatted, although I'm not sure which way is correct.

The Beatles. "Here Comes the Sun." Abbey Road, Apple Records, 1969.
OR
Beatles, The. "Here Comes the Sun." Abbey Road, Apple Records, 1969.

I wasn't guaranteed a response and instead only notified that, if my question is worth addressing, it may appear within their popular FAQ list. Whether or not I would even get an e-mail notification was not mentioned, so, even if the question is answered, I don't know when or exactly where it would be located. That being said, after seeing the initial example I previously mentioned, I do have a strong feeling that something like "El Cid" and not "Cid, El" would be correct. I skimmed through their collection of FAQ answers but couldn't find anything; I easily may have overlooked what we're needing, though.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 10:13:54 am »
We've had this discussion regarding English titles before and we are fine where we are on it. The question is in regards to non-English titles.

For example, I am unsure that it is appropriate to enforce English sorting rules on non-English titles because I do not know if titles are sorted that way in those languages. Such as how are library systems set up in Spain or Germany. But also, I am not sure about not enforcing it either. I would just prefer to be able to find out for sure. Perhaps I will ask some people in Spain and Germany about it.