Author Topic: G4 is coming back in some form!  (Read 1635 times)

G4 is coming back in some form!
« on: July 24, 2020, 08:33:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aegzuPD1DUc

We just got one of the most unexpected announcements out of Comic-Con today- G4 is coming back! They released this teaser and haven't yet said in what capacity they would be coming back. The official Twitter accounts for Attack of the Show and X-Play also tweeted the teaser. I can't see them starting a new TV channel in the day of streaming, but I am happy that the brand has been resurrected, it carries a lot of nostalgia for me.

Re: G4 is coming back in some form!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 08:41:59 pm »
I could see it working and coming back as a Youtube show/live streaming show that then goes to Youtube or something like that.  I never really watched G4, don't even know if I had the channel as I would've watched it more if I did, but it'll be cool to see how they bring it back.

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:52:58 pm »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:11:26 pm »
X-Play and Icons were fantastic shows. The rest of the channel...meh.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 09:11:40 pm »
I could see it working and coming back as a Youtube show/live streaming show that then goes to Youtube or something like that.

Definitely, I could see myself leaving it on for background noise at least. I already do that with Comedy Central but by now I've seen every episode of The Office and South Park a thousand times. :P

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:36:53 pm »
Returning by way of YouTube—maybe Twitch—could I ever see G4 ever finding some means of success as a revival. But honestly, I just don't really see how they're going to fare in today's climate. YouTube already as a ton of great content for many if not all of the Attack of the Show segments, and the same can overwhelmingly be said of X-Play. Why they're feeling needed again after all these years—and how they're envisioning a means of financial profit—is beyond me.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:37:45 pm »
Could be coming back as a programming block on a channel. Maybe reviving as a category to add content to that Peacock streaming service (G4 is owned by NBCUniversal & that's their streamingservice for those who forget it exist). I think the later is the most possible of the two.

I used to watch it a lot back in middle/high school. I remember I had a crush on Kristen Holt from Cheat back then.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:53:17 pm by redblaze57 »

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 11:52:24 pm »
Maybe reviving as a category to add content to that Peacock streaming service (G4 is owned by NBCUniversal & that's their streamingservice for those who forget it exist). I think the later is the most possible of the two.

That's my guess too.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 11:50:57 am »
Like many people I had nostalgia for old early/mid 2000s G4, but unfortunately I actually rewatched some of these shows recently on youtube and ummm, they kinda suck. I know there weren't a ton of sources of video reviews of games at that point since this was pre-youtube, but their reviews and video game content has mostly aged poorly. Especially X-Play which might have the worst video game reviews I've ever seen. I really wish I'd kept old G4 in the past since rewatching it kinda lowered my opinion of it.

But as far as new content goes I think they'll be fighting an uphill battle. Sure, they'll bait several thousand peole based off the name alone, but they have way, way more competition these days when it comes to content. I don't see it working out.

spac316

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 12:42:27 pm »
Yea, whatever. The network was a lost cause.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 05:02:07 pm »
X-Play was...there, I guess.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 05:50:06 pm »
All I remember about X-Play is that their score system was out _ out of 5 and they had a huge biased towards any games that were either anime-style or JRPGs.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 12:03:38 pm »
Bring back Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn and I'll watch whatever they want.

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 12:57:56 pm »

Good joke.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »

Morgan Webb, mm hmm.