Author Topic: Do You Think Most Of The PlayStation 1 Library Is Being Ignored  (Read 3885 times)

When it comes to the vast library of PlayStation 1 games, that came out for it, few people on the site have vary many  PS1 games I just saw that when adding games to my own collection

My question is. Do you like PlayStation 1 games? and do you think is somewhat over looked?

everything from Snowboarding, Skateboarding, ATV racing, Moto Cross, Car racing, Truck racing, Snowmobile Racing. Driving Simulators, Arcade Style Racers, Future Sports Style Racing, Boat Racing, (etc) There is so many different  racing games and that is only one Genre.

All I hear about when it come to the PlayStation 1 library is stuff like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider Series, (etc)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:18:54 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Think Most Of The PlayStation 1 Library Is Being Ignored
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 02:09:10 am »
I wanted to see what game games you had in your collection for playstation but no i cant see that because collection is on private.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 02:36:21 am »
I enjoy PS1 Games, but I confess I don't hunt out for obscure titles like I do later generations - Well not so much on the PS4 there is far to much trash released on the PS Store every week!

I have 100+ Games & Still plenty I need to go back to and experience. I can't recall the last PS1 game I actually bought. nor is there any game on my radar to get either.

I did recently play Ronin Blade / Soul of the Samurai and had a blast.

I think honestly what may have hurt it is the lack of availability this generation. The PS3 could play pretty much all PS1 games, while the PS4 has had no equivalent - Not even a downloadable option. So due to the lack of accessibility I can see why the popularity may have dwindled down.

Also, I very rarely use my PS1 Discs anymore. I have a modded PS1 Classic which is a Dream to play on - Don't get huffy with my about piracy, I have 100+ physical games :P I guess many people emulate PS1 games these days not just for convince/price but also performance! I don't even have a powered PC but look at the difference between PS1 on the PS3 Emu & PC:

Also the rise in price doesn't help & PS1 discs lack the protection Blu-Rays seem to have so I can see why many might not see the appeal in collecting them. I'm personally glad I have mine, but I am also quite content on what I have already.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:40:08 am »
I have quite a few PS1 games still. I've no plan to get rid of them and I consider the PS1 to be one of the best systems of all time. So many incredible IPs were created on the system. Many of which are still going strong today. I might even get around to playing them more if a new PS5 patent is actually put into affect with it using cloud processing for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. That would be phenomenal.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2020/07/09/playstation-5-may-play-ps1-ps2-ps3-games-cloud/

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 09:28:28 am »
There seems to be a lot of what some could compare to Wii shovelware on PS1 that I end up finding at thrift. Things I had no idea existed, but seem to be aimed at younger kids.

But I think with all console libraries, there are always a lot of games that are ignored because they are not the top end games, or in the niche categories like RPGs, fighters and shmups.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:29:02 pm »
I wanted to see what game games you had in your collection for playstation but no i cant see that because collection is on private.

it's back to public viewing now
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:11:31 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

byron

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 03:15:34 pm »
The PS1 library is certainly being ignored by me. I can't say why exactly, but I have never been particularly interested in it. I had a PS1 once, years ago, but I cared so little for it that I don't even care that I don't know what happened to it.

I think it's because the PS1 library is so dauntingly huge. Or seems to be.

Consider this an open invitation to anyone who wants to show me the error of my ways. I'm sure there's games I woild love if I only knew they existed.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 04:53:05 pm »
I enjoy PS1 Games, but I confess I don't hunt out for obscure titles like I do later generations - Well not so much on the PS4 there is far to much trash released on the PS Store every week!

I have 100+ Games & Still plenty I need to go back to and experience. I can't recall the last PS1 game I actually bought. nor is there any game on my radar to get either.

I think honestly what may have hurt it is the lack of availability this generation. The PS3 could play pretty much all PS1 games, while the PS4 has had no equivalent - Not even a downloadable option. So due to the lack of accessibility I can see why the popularity may have dwindled down.

Also, I very rarely use my PS1 Discs anymore. I have a modded PS1 Classic which is a Dream to play on - Don't get huffy with my about piracy, I have 100+ physical games :P I guess many people emulate PS1 games these days not just for convince/price but also performance! I don't even have a powered PC but look at the difference between PS1 on the PS3 Emu & PC:

Also the rise in price doesn't help & PS1 discs lack the protection Blu-Rays seem to have so I can see why many might not see the appeal in collecting them. I'm personally glad I have mine, but I am also quite content on what I have already.

that's probably a pc port not the og ps1 version

But yes the pc versions where usually better, sometimes lesser music and soundeffects though, final fantasy fantasy VII also had a superior pc port at the time to name one example way better models
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 05:48:30 pm »
Not by me I loved the ps1 I have close to 500 games for that system I have played alot of them but still have alot I haven't tried yet. I'll list a few lesser known tittles you might want to try.

Galerians (little like Resident Evil with psychic powers)
Covert Ops:Nuclear Dawn (plays like Resident evil)
T.R.A.G Tatical Rescue Assault Group (again tank controls like R.E.)
Overblood (even more like R.E)
Gunship (attack helicopter sim)
Wargames Defcon 1 (strategic)
Syphon Filter (3rd person shooter)
Die Hard Trilogy (3rd person shooter)
Wipeout (futuristic racer)
R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 (racer)
Need For Speed III (racer)
Medal of Honor 1&2 (1st person Shooters)
Shadow Tower (like Kings Field 1st person adventure)
Skull Monkeys (platformer)
Oddworld (platformer)
Ape Escape (3d platformer)
Dragon Valor (action/adventure)
Gaurdian's Crusade (rpg)
Lunar 1&2 (rpg)

I hope this helps you find somthing you like I loved these.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:21:45 pm by wartoy »

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 06:10:25 pm »
As the PlayStation has, by far, the cheapest selection of video game titles (at least when we are talking about CIB retro games), it ended up becoming my largest collection (even though I have much more fun collecting for Sega consoles overall).
As an example, Megaman X4 usually goes for around ¥5,000 on the Saturn, but it rarely reaches the ¥1,000 price point on the PS1.

Having said that, I have to admit that whenever I find a PS1 game I had never heard about, I rarely find them to be as good as the majority of the popular games on the platform.
Some exeptions to that are a few interesting games I discovered just recently such as Calcolo! and Tatsunoko Fight

In sum: I don't think that the PS1 library is being ignored by gamers as, due to it's own popularity, it doesn't have the amount of hidden gems other platforms such as the Saturn or even the Wii do.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 06:19:45 pm »
And here are a few I haven't tried yet but you might want to look into

Sky Diving Extreme
All-Star Slamming D-ball
Simpsons Wrestling
Auto Destruct
Bravo Air Race
Courier Crisis
N-Gen Racing
Extreme Go Kart Racing
Grind Session
Miracle Space Race
Circuit Breakers
Burning Road
Eliminator
Atv Racers

Again I cant vouch for these games because I haven't tried them yet but they look interesting and more like what your into good luck I hope you like some of these.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 07:06:23 pm »
I love the PS1 library, but find it hard to play the games. The load times are a bit much and games seem to draaaaaag when playing them. The last one I was playing was Legend of Draaaaaaaaagging-Oooooooooooon. I got annoyed and had to stop. Wonder if I thought the same thing back then but just pushed through it.

I do like to pick them up on sale on the PSN and play them for a bit on the Vita. I rarely do more than immerse myself in the nostalgia though.

byron

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 11:02:39 pm »
I didn't expect to get much of a reaction, let alone have someone curate a sizable list of games I never heard of that actually sound kind of intriguing. I didn't know The Neverhood had a spinoff platformer...

Thanks Wartoy, I really appreciate that.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 02:14:48 am »

that's probably a pc port not the og ps1 version

But yes the pc versions where usually better, sometimes lesser music and soundeffects though, final fantasy fantasy VII also had a superior pc port at the time to name one example way better models

I took them photos off my TV (So not direct screenshots, but good enough indication to see the difference), the PC photo was me running the PS1 version of RE2 on Emu - I was just flabbergasted by the difference! & Have never gone back to playing PS1 games on my PS3 since.

I've been trying to mod the PC version of FF7 recently... but sadly can't seem to get the modding software to work - Which is annoying as to mod FF8 it was simply a case of downloading files and placing them in folders.

One of the big issues with the PS1 in Europe is that we missed out on some big triple A titles - I later played Parasite Eve 1 and really enjoyed it, but I still have other games like Xenogears to play.

The biggest issue i have these days is with PS2 games, some are lucky to be Remastered but many have not. & Sadly there still aren't many reasonably priced ways to get a satisfactory display on a HDTV. Which is sadly why I have 2 big boxes of PS2 games in storage - which is awful considering it is the 2nd biggest collection of games I have for a console (1st being PS3).

On a side note, I did make a video on PS1 Hidden Gems - Not the most obscure Japanese titles you've never heard of but 5 games which I felt were overlooked still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HawqbQ-AGnQ
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:18:43 am by vivigamer »

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 12:07:32 am »
Many gamers from this generation don't like crude polygons, so yeah, I'd say yes.

Personally, I love me some crude polygonal curvatures. Smexy.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!