Author Topic: Anyone else been tempted to downsize with game prices being so high?  (Read 3541 times)

Re: Anyone else been tempted to downsize with game prices being so high?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 04:21:55 am »
You're right @bunnybear I just don't want to lose access physical media especially music CD's and video games, I don't know what is going to happen.

I don't want to have to rely on an online pay to play service to hear music or need to put up with ads, and if I ever lose my games I would not be able to replace games, maybe I could still replace most of the music since music CD's are still being sold new and used quite a lot in fact.

there is ad blockers but I don't want to mess with them, I've been spoiled in life with a lot of media shopping but I need to look back at my own signature
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:28:42 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 06:46:12 am »
If the Economy goes down no more jobs mean more poor people sell their games. people buy for a higher price sell to more rich people  richer people sell, to other rich people, they sell it and the prices just keeps going up, then everything game wise goes up, Digital Modern game companies become the only option, (I am hoping not)

Here's the thing though, the majority of the people that are buying actually have work that needs to go on where never in a dire situation to begin with, this isnt usa exclusive btw same things apply in europe aswell. In europe around 10 to 15% lost their work everyone else went on with the difference being that they had to work at home, and only some jobs to actually be at work. the 10 - 15% had it rough the 80+% kinda has more money in their pocket than ever.

And these people have less options to spend their money on, cancelled vacations to other countries till next year etc they have more money in their pocket than ever, If money runs out it would only affect the people who where in a dire situation already wich are selling games right now wich get bought up by the people who have more money in their pocket atm

Covid is getting less and less we'll see what happens, people will get to work sometime soon the worst is over in europe at least so that the remaining 15% can get to work again, a ton of things are getting back to normal again.

Prices will probably  go normal after covid, however some games that have risen to much will probably stay higher than prior though.

again don't know the situation in the USA in terms of % of people that lost their job, but if it's simular to europe only the 15% will suffer while the 85% will just have enough money to spend like always. if it's 50/50 than sure pretty high odds at the market crashing but with just a minority the people with money will spend the higher amounts.

according to an article it's around 30ish % in the usa that had to take a pay cut or lost their job. so 70% having more money than ever.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:55:45 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

mrkonasoni

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 11:36:24 am »
I am open to buy extra copies in better state for some bucks, I was open to pay some big bucks but since ebay is sometimes filled with scammers and other dastardly people I left the idea and I put myself a 60$ limit.

I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 11:49:22 am »
I am open to buy extra copies in better state for some bucks, I was open to pay some big bucks but since ebay is sometimes filled with scammers and other dastardly people I left the idea and I put myself a 60$ limit.

ebay is kinda a buyers paradise if there are any scammers they are mostly buyers abusing the system to get free stuff from a seller.

Current ebay and Paypal is extremely in favor of the buyer, a bit to much I'd say. you'd be a fool if your trying to scam as a seller if where talking current ebay era.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:51:51 am by sworddude »

byron

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 12:42:30 pm »
Not necessarily foolish. People selling counterfeit game cartridges probably get away with it more often than not. With as many fakes as I have seen on eBay and in the wild, I feel pretty sure a large contingent of buyers never think to check authenticity or don't know to.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 02:01:55 pm »
I can't help but wonder if this sudden boom in retro game demand and prices will result in an actual crash on the other side of this?

Probably not to a degree as high as you'd hope but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go down a little bit compared to before covid.

For example, the Pokemon Go craze of 2016 made old Pokemon games shoot up in price for a while, but afterwards they went down to even lower than they were before. I remember generally seeing Pokemon Red for $20-30 before 2016, then it shot up to $50 when Pokemon Go mania increased demand, and afterwards I frequently saw the game for $10-20. Not all of them had a noticeable decrease after the craze died down (like Heartgold), but they at least went back to what they were beforehand. And with video game sales in general being at a record high (and not just for old games), this would seem to be on a larger scale.

I think that best case scenario they'll get a little bit cheaper than they were previously, and worst case scenario they'll go back to roughly what they were before. All I know is that stuff like people being willing to pay almost $40 for Goldeneye 64 isn't going to last, so if you want to get rid of some stuff then now's your chance.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 02:26:37 pm »
I can't help but wonder if this sudden boom in retro game demand and prices will result in an actual crash on the other side of this?

Probably not to a degree as high as you'd hope but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go down a little bit compared to before covid.

For example, the Pokemon Go craze of 2016 made old Pokemon games shoot up in price for a while, but afterwards they went down to even lower than they were before. I remember generally seeing Pokemon Red for $20-30 before 2016, then it shot up to $50 when Pokemon Go mania increased demand, and afterwards I frequently saw the game for $10-20. Not all of them had a noticeable decrease after the craze died down (like Heartgold), but they at least went back to what they were beforehand. And with video game sales in general being at a record high (and not just for old games), this would seem to be on a larger scale.

are you serious?

Most cib gba gameboy games before pokemon go where 30 - 40$ max in excellent condition, way less if the condition was just mediocre. Heartgold soulsilver was just 30$ 40 with the cardboard box and pokewalker Even years after pokemon go hype the prices are above or close to 100$ Pokemon prices have stayed inflated after pokemon go really big time. cart only maybe havent checked that but cib it stayed inflated, and that was withouth covid.

Pokemon yellow red & blue where 40$ max before pokemon go, not to uncommon close to 100$ for a cib these days before covid.

I wish prices where the same as before pokemon go hype I absolutely regret not buying a pokemon yellow cib in excellent shape for 30$ wich frequently happened and was easy but I was a cheap guy and I literally got all pokemon games for cheap in deals pretty easily except yellow so yea kinda amusing how that did not work out. Either you don't remember the prices prior to pokemon go correctly or you must be confusing it with some other prices because prices have stayed inflated after pokemon go by allot, maybe just a tad bit lower but it's not much

I literally sold a soulsilver for 30$ a few weeks before pokemon go craze the normal price very easy to find game at the time. you can almost not find it for that price anymore people are literally buying it up for double that amount to resell it for a profit these days since yes it's easy money.

Base pokemon ruby sapphire cib, some of the cheaper advance games for just 30$ in nice shape your literally getting close to 100$ now let alone stuff like emerald or crystal.

Also this isnt even the mainline games exclusive, the pokemon cube games are inflated aswell.

XD gale of darkness was just 35$ before pokemon go, like legit it's almost path of radiance price lvl withouth covid close or sometimes surpassing 100$, Prices would be a hell of a lot lower if it was even lower than before the pokemon go craze.

USA could be different I guess, but if where talking europe pokemon ds and pre era prices have stayed extremely inflated after the pokemon go hype, the only games that have dropped in value are diamond & pearl because platinum is so much better than those 2.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:32:16 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 09:16:22 pm »
Well, I'm taking the plunge! I have a lot of high dollar JRPGs that I honestly can't see myself playing either ever or for a very, very long time that i'm going to be unloading. The financial benefits to selling right now are just too good to hold on to some of this stuff. Given I'll still be holding onto easily 75% of my collection after my downsize, however I wouldn't be surprised if the value of my collection is halfed by selling what currently on the block. I have a few games that are worth over $400 right now that I'll be selling and those alone amount to around $5000 just on their own.

Am I sad about selling some of these games? I little, but again I just can't justify holding onto them at their current prices, not even close. I never in my wildest dreams thought they'd increase so much in value, in fact I believed for years we were actually headed in the other direction where my collection would probably be worth a fraction of its 2019 value in a few years. Looks like I was terribly wrong about that lol

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 04:04:00 am »
I might have to investigate, I have a lot of portable games which realistically I don't play as much. I do have to admit I have difficulty letting go of Physical Editions even if I have multiple ports of the same game  I have loads of PS3 games which got PS4 Remasters and still have the originals boxed up.

Question is, how do you know these game won't go up in price in time? I went through my PS3 games and selected a bundle which seem to be going for a decent price - especially in comparison to what I got them for. Then of course if you're selling on eBay you have to factor in eBay Fees/Paypal Fees & Postage...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:51:40 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 08:46:04 am »
I've been thinking about selling stuff, but what would I do with the money?  Realistically, I'd spend it on more video games.

Regardless, I probably will try to start selling stuff soon.  I just have the problem that I don't feel like leaving the house every couple of days just to ship stuff.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 12:54:16 am »
In europe around 10 to 15% lost their work everyone else went on with the difference being that they had to work at home, and only some jobs to actually be at work. the 10 - 15% had it rough the 80+% kinda has more money in their pocket than ever...according to an article it's around 30ish % in the usa that had to take a pay cut or lost their job. so 70% having more money than ever.
That’s not how it works. Even if your figures are correct in terms of percentages of people who took pay cuts or lost their jobs, that in no way implies that everyone else becomes better off. In fact, people taking pay cuts/losing their jobs is a direct consequence of their employers being unable to pay them, which is not how one accrues more wealth.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:55 pm »
In europe around 10 to 15% lost their work everyone else went on with the difference being that they had to work at home, and only some jobs to actually be at work. the 10 - 15% had it rough the 80+% kinda has more money in their pocket than ever...according to an article it's around 30ish % in the usa that had to take a pay cut or lost their job. so 70% having more money than ever.
That’s not how it works. Even if your figures are correct in terms of percentages of people who took pay cuts or lost their jobs, that in no way implies that everyone else becomes better off. In fact, people taking pay cuts/losing their jobs is a direct consequence of their employers being unable to pay them, which is not how one accrues more wealth.

I'm not saying those people are more wealthy than usual they have the same funds as before, However the people that still have a job at the same salary cannot go on vacation concerts etc.

Wich means record sales in other sectors such as hobby's etc. Online stores having record sales as in multiple times the amount than usual wich has been on the news also sectors that have been doing way better in covid than normal times even if physical store sales are gone atm. obviously the people that still have a job aren't richer it's just that they have less options to spend their money on wich inflates the sales rate in certain sections of the market. wich again even if people deny it, it's even been in the news, it has actually been mentioned multiple times that allot of people who still have work actually have it way more easy atm since less options to spend their money on.

Not to sure about the US, but in my country that was the case at least.

And again this topic is about the high prices of retro game atm, with the stuff that has been going on with people having more funds in their pocket left with less options to spend their money on it makes sense. If a far larger part of the economy had a pay cut lost their job Retro prices would have probably crashed bargin bin prices since people would be forced to sell stuff quickly and pretty much no one to buy it than. people expected a market crash yet it has only increased.

a ton of retail sectors are doing better atm even with the loss of physical stores, if the majority of the population would have it rough that would not have happened.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:55:26 pm by sworddude »