Author Topic: Atari VCS - Atari's New Console  (Read 1431 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Atari VCS - Atari's New Console
« on: July 20, 2020, 02:08:41 pm »

https://atarivcs.com/

Has anyone here been following this thing?

I've heard things and seen updates through the last couple of years via Facebook groups and whatnot.

It sounds interesting enough. A bunch of old Atari classics bundled with the system, and the ability to download even more classics via an online service. It's Linux-based. And it features both classic-style Atari 2600 joysticks, and modern controllers. But it's not just a Flashback or clone console, they're promising new games, as well; which really is the most interesting part of this for me.

That all sounds cool enough for the retro-enthusiast, except for one thing...

THEY WANT $399 FOR THIS THING! CRAZY!

What do you think? Are you onboard? You getting one? Am I the only one that thinks $400 is way too much for what is basically a nostalgia piece?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:13:59 pm by burningdoom »

tpugmire

Re: Atari VCS - Atari's New Console
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 02:21:02 pm »
Been following it for a long time now, but there’s no way I’m getting one at that price. Also, the current “Atari” doesn’t make anything now. It’s just a licensing company, so I’m skeptical about this whole thing. Hopefully it all turns out great for everyone, but there’s no way I’m giving 400 dollars to an untested licensing company who has never made anything themselves, and likely never will.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

telekill

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »
I've heard that this entire project has basically been a dumpster fire for backers. Polite pass.

I hope that the backers actually get a system in the end.

pzeke

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 06:21:36 pm »

That's been me pretty much since the day I learned about it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 10:47:16 pm »
I would be interested in a new Atari or Sega Console, but not digital-only ones.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 03:20:26 am »
For $400s it better...

Never mind.

I’m a no. :-)

telekill

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 09:07:25 am »
I would be interested in a new Atari or Sega Console, but not digital-only ones.

I'd be up for a new Sega system if the Sega of today was closer to what they were back in the 90's. They are not though. All of their successes as of late.... Sonic Mania, Shenmue 3, Streets of Rage 4.... they were all outsourced or allowed to use the IP. All three titles were incredibly well received as they were created by essentially... fans or members of the original teams and they had the enthusiasm behind each project. Sega of today not only has zero enthusiasm, they also lack the good planning and thinking projects out (as shown by the Game Gear mini). I would imagine a new Sega system would be just as equally a dumpster fire as the Atari VCS has been. Truly sad to think about.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:00:27 pm »

I'd be up for a new Sega system if the Sega of today was closer to what they were back in the 90's. They are not though. All of their successes as of late.... Sonic Mania, Shenmue 3, Streets of Rage 4.... they were all outsourced or allowed to use the IP. All three titles were incredibly well received as they were created by essentially... fans or members of the original teams and they had the enthusiasm behind each project. Sega of today not only has zero enthusiasm, they also lack the good planning and thinking projects out (as shown by the Game Gear mini). I would imagine a new Sega system would be just as equally a dumpster fire as the Atari VCS has been. Truly sad to think about.

To be fair, they didn't have the best planning back then, either. I mean Sega 32x, the surprise launch of the Saturn, the botched outsourcing of Sega Master System marketing in the U.S. But at least they had more passion for games.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 04:51:08 pm »
To be fair, they didn't have the best planning back then, either. I mean Sega 32x, the surprise launch of the Saturn, the botched outsourcing of Sega Master System marketing in the U.S. But at least they had more passion for games.

Passion doesn't necessarily equate to good business. Having passion is good and all, but it's definitely not enough.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 11:33:57 pm »
The main gripe I have about this is not just the current price. but primary it's the Wireless controllers, I never had any luck with wireless controllers. I'd take a long cord any day. I hate needing to recharge the darn controller, and although regular replaceable batteries are actually better, in my opinion. With wireless you need to quit playing after you run out of power in your controller.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 12:19:22 am »
More like Atari's latest scam.