Author Topic: Question - Zelda on DS/3DS/2DS  (Read 1297 times)

telekill

Question - Zelda on DS/3DS/2DS
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »
Hey all!

My daughter has a birthday coming up and she is wanting Zelda for her 2DS. She loves playing Breath of the Wild on Switch, but she's young and not allowed to take the Switch into handheld mode. It's the family Nintendo system to be kept connected to the the TV. She wants to play Zelda in her bedroom away from the siblings and I don't blame her.

I know that there is no Zelda quite like Breath of the Wild on it. That said, what do you suppose a soon to be 8 year old would enjoy that's Zelda-centric and able to play on the 2DS system? Doesn't necessarily have to be 3D in nature.

Thanks

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Question - Zelda on DS/3DS/2DS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:23:22 pm »
Legend of zelda Spirit Tracks come to mind.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:58:19 pm »
I believe the only physical options are Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, A Link Between Worlds, and Triforce Heroes.  Of these, A Link Between Worlds is far and away the best.  Triforce Heroes is a mess.  The other two are fine.

ALBW has some of the BotW openness but still has classic dungeons.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:56 pm »
I would personally recommend Ocarina of Time 3D since she can handle Breath of the Wild and also there's a A Link Between Worlds, which I never personally beat, but thought it was a good game that I wish would get a Switch port so I could give it a full playthrough.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:20:32 pm »
I believe the only physical options are Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, A Link Between Worlds, and Triforce Heroes.  Of these, A Link Between Worlds is far and away the best.  Triforce Heroes is a mess.  The other two are fine.

I second this.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 09:33:21 pm »

I second this.

I did forget about the Ocarina and Majora remakes.  I think Link Between Worlds is still the best option, especially at that age.

astralsoul

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 10:05:41 pm »
Link Between World's is fantastic and can't recommend it enough. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are very close 2nd options though.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 12:45:48 am »
One warning about Phantom Hourglass if you grab that: There is a puzzle that requires the player to close their DS. If she has the non-folding 2DS, she won't be able to get past that point.

Also, while there is no physical version for the system, you can get digital versions of the fantastic Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons games off of the eshop.

Another good option if you want a solid Zelda-style game would be Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom. It's basically a 2D Zelda game but with Adventure Time characters.

telekill

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 08:21:50 am »
I appreciate the responses guys. I'll give it some further investigation but am currently leaning towards Link Between Worlds.

jalien

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:31:16 am »
I appreciate the responses guys. I'll give it some further investigation but am currently leaning towards Link Between Worlds.

If she only played Breath of the Wild then I would indeed choose A Link Between Worlds or Ocarina of Time 3D. The only way to make A Link Between Worlds more enjoyable is if you have already played A Link to the Past for SNES to get the references to the game, but it does stand alone quite well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:18:28 am by jalien »

telly

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:51 am »
I would also say Link Between Worlds is the best option, but I'm biased because I have very fond memories of playing the original Link to the Past on my GBA as a kid. ;D
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 07:22:46 pm »
I think she would get a kick out of Spirit Tracks, but I also think A Link Between Worlds would be the better choice. Granted, I have yet to play it myself, but I've seen enough gameplay footage to be comfortable enough to recommend it.

Now, if she likes BOTW and managed to get around it just fine, then I think Ocarina of Time 3D would also be a solid choice for her.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!