Author Topic: Fix It Vs. Get Another One: New, Used, Or, Refurbished  (Read 1480 times)

Fix It Vs. Get Another One: New, Used, Or, Refurbished
« on: December 28, 2019, 07:25:41 pm »
When a console breaks I think it's better to get it fixed unless the circuitry is fried. Sometimes a PC repair shop will repair consoles if you ask them. And can actually be cheaper than going to a console only or brand name repair service unless you have some warranty with the original manufacture. SONY used to charge $300 or $400 USD to repair a PS3 while one of my local PC repair shops charge $70 to $80 USD to sometimes make it like new again.

but if you need replacement parts it depends on how much the parts cost

after I learned when It comes to older consoles, it better to buy them listed and proved to be refurbished. Rather then just listed as used. even if a refurbished console cost more.

Because in my own opinion by buying a used console sometimes you have the same problem with your device as the previous owner did.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Fix It Vs. Get Another One: New, Used, Or, Refurbished
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 10:47:05 pm »
It really depends on the console that needs repair. Probably the console I've had the most reliability issues with the is the PS2; I absolutely love the PS2, but it's disc reader is a piece of crap. I've owned 2 fats and about 6 slims and all of them have had the reader go out. With the exception of the first PS2 I had, all of them went out when it was just cheaper to buy another PS2 used that was fully working. Luckily the PS2 is one of the best selling consoles of all time so there is no shortage of them, and I actually have 3 of them on standby when the one I'm currently using finally decides to stop reading discs too.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:36:07 am »
It's very much a case-by-case kind of thing. My channel F has a busted 2 button, but otherwise works fine. And I might replace it, becuase it's all but impossible to find someone who can repair such an old & obscure system!

On the flipside, despite it being more expensive than a replacement, I had my original Xbox repaired when it started turning itself on & off. The unit I have was the one my fiancé bought new back in the day, which then passed through all his siblings before ending up with me. There's a lot of sentimental value in keeping that specific machine running, over the cheaper option of a new deck. Plus when I picked it up, the clerk commented that it was a 'surprisingly well maintained Xbox', which was nice.

I will say, of the machines that I have gotten rid of over the years, only one was actually thrown out- that would be the NES from my sister's friend that was painted black with acrylic and had a replacement power supply running the wrong current. There was nothing to salvage there. Anything else I've put into the hands of another collector or a shop, that might make use of it. If I can't keep it running, perhaps they can- or at least get a different machine going using salvaged parts.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:21:48 pm »
I screwed up my Xbox One X recently.  Sad part was it's not even broke nor even close to being broke.  Was just slightly dusty.  So I wanted to clean it internally until it was flawless.   Luckily it's only a 20 dollar fix.   I was trying to take off a screw.  But I didn't notice that the plastic I was tapping with the edge of the screw driver wasn't plastic.  It was the front circuit board that powers the LED light.   I chipped off some of it and now the LED didn't work. 

So I soldered it,  and now it works but never shuts off lol.   And the USB port no longer works now. 

So I will be buying the board I need and replacing it for 20 bucks.  Which isn't bad for a permenant fix.  and it's fairly simple to do.   It will be back to new again after that.    But still sucks considering I didn't have to mess with it to begin with.  as I found almost no dust.

If it's broken their is no harm in trying to fix it.   If you fail it's no worst off.    If it's working like mine was,  and you just want to clean it.  I'd say be very careful or avoid it entirely.  :)     With old consoles like NES or SNES.   Definitely.   They are so simple.   But modern consoles are heinously over complicated. 

I learned a lot about new consoles though and how they operate. sometimes it's good to get in tune with the internals to better understand how it works.    :D

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
I screwed up my Xbox One X recently.  Sad part was it's not even broke nor even close to being broke.  Was just slightly dusty.  So I wanted to clean it internally until it was flawless.   Luckily it's only a 20 dollar fix.   I was trying to take off a screw.  But I didn't notice that the plastic I was tapping with the edge of the screw driver wasn't plastic.  It was the front circuit board that powers the LED light.   I chipped off some of it and now the LED didn't work. 

So I soldered it,  and now it works but never shuts off lol.   And the USB port no longer works now. 

So I will be buying the board I need and replacing it for 20 bucks.  Which isn't bad for a permenant fix.  and it's fairly simple to do.   It will be back to new again after that.    But still sucks considering I didn't have to mess with it to begin with.  as I found almost no dust.

If it's broken their is no harm in trying to fix it.   If you fail it's no worst off.    If it's working like mine was,  and you just want to clean it.  I'd say be very careful or avoid it entirely.  :)     With old consoles like NES or SNES.   Definitely.   They are so simple.   But modern consoles are heinously over complicated. 

I learned a lot about new consoles though and how they operate. sometimes it's good to get in tune with the internals to better understand how it works.    :D

The same thing happen to me trying to fix a PlayStation 2 once, I took it apart and could not figure how to put it all back together, and I might have cracked the circuit board on that one by screwing one screw in too tightly, and put it back together and It would no longer turn on at all, I'll never do that again.

So I found a local PC and console repair shop and glad I did, thank God for this small shop I found

by the way
Someone on this forum has an avatar signature and it says "If it ain't broken then don't fix it"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:53:22 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 07:45:18 pm »
If it's broken their is no harm in trying to fix it.

So much this.  If a latch is broken or a cable is loose, but something just isn’t working it could save you a lot of time and money.  Plus, what do you have to lose?  It’s already broken.

I fixed my original 360 at least 3 twice, and I’ve picked up PS1s and NESs for next to nothing that I got working with a little elbow grease.  It’s only when a replacement part is expensive that I won’t give it a shot.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:06:34 pm »
I usually have spare systems for almost every system I own. I'll try to acquire a extra console when that consoles generation is at it's lowest point sometime friends may donate to my collection also. I'll also buy controlers for cheap when I can find them and keep them as spares. In the past Ive purchase 4 new official Dreamcast controlers for $2.50 each. and 1 new official 3do controler for $5.00 even found 2 new official Ps3 controlers for $20.00 each. I put them aside for when I can't find used ones anymore. I know this may seem wastefull but if you buy at it's lowest point it's better than waiting untill you absolute need one and have to pay more because the price went up imo.That being said my turbografx 16 stopped working and would be pretty expensive to replace and wonder if it would be worth getting it repaired but not sure how to go about getting it fixed.

necrosexual

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 12:37:45 pm »
i fix it if i can. hell i mod on occassion so i'd be silly to not fix over trash and rebuy. going to fix my OG xbox laser in a couple weeks when the laser part gets in... it reads CDs but not DVDs, so it isn't just a bit dusty, sadly.
that said sometimes the hassle ain't worth it. cracking open a PS4 or switch is like taking a trek into laptops. not an area i know well, and they're a pain to work with, so...
vita, i fear when it finally dies, i'm on the market for a 1000 model rn for backup.
i've swapped analogue sticks on joycons for others already.

fixed the 72-pin connector on my NES when i got it, too.
old consoles it is a no brainer, fix it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:40:15 pm by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 02:58:14 pm »
I'll try to fix it. Or, I'll hit up one of my more tech savvy friends to help fix it. Really, almost anything so I don't have to buy a new console.

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 11:45:12 am »
Unless I can find the same console in proper working order for cheap, getting it fixed is the way to go for sure.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 03:55:55 pm »
Anyone ever buy a console to fix it up? I basically did that to my original Xbox, it was bought last year I think, at Disc Replay for $60, fearing I might not be able to use it. after a member of this forum told me about a the common leaky compositor issue on the motherboard, so I had it looked at and sure enough it did have a leaky compositor  and the tech caught it and fixed it just in time before it could cause any damage to the console itself.

Getting another used replacement console it taking a big risk in my opinion, because it's sorta like buying a used car. Sometimes you get a working car other times you get someone else garbage. Same could be said about buying a brand new car or game console.

If your going to buy an old er video game console or PC in my opinion it's better to get one that has been refurbished or never used, it may cost more, but it may be worth it

NO APPS NEEDED

mrkonasoni

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 04:08:04 pm »
You know, in almost 2021 it is a good idea buy a repaired console, that is already cleaned and someone else already opened it doing the hard work.

I truly dislike opening myself my consoles and repairing.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.