Author Topic: Sony Trinitron 24" crt tv crackling when turned off  (Read 2016 times)

Sony Trinitron 24" crt tv crackling when turned off
« on: September 27, 2020, 11:03:34 pm »
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if something I'm experiencing with my 24" sony trinitron crt tv is normal or not. I just got done playing some nes and genesis games on it and when I turned the tv off and unplugged it it was making this static sort of crackling sound. It eventually dissipated and stopped after about a minute or two. I havent used a crt tv or monitor of any kind if well over a decade and I dont recall if this is normal behavior for CRT's or if it is something I should be concerned about from either a safety standpoint of longevity of the tv standpoint. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Sony Trinitron 24" crt tv crackling when turned off
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 11:12:38 pm »
I'm pretty sure this is Normal, all of my CRT's do this also

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 12:01:42 am »
My Trinitron does the same and it has been working fine for over 20 years.
I think you don't need to worry...

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:04:22 am »
Thanks. Glad its not some weird behavior or something that is going to be a safety issue. From doing a little bit of research I understand this can be alleviated somewhat by having the TV in a less humid area. Mine is in my basement but my basement is above ground so it doesn't get terribly humid if at all but I may get a small dehumidifier just to see if it makes a difference.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 04:53:42 pm »
pardon this bastard explanation, but as my grandfather explained to me:

old crts generate a pretty substantial static field when fired up (place your arm near the screen and you can see your hairs lift)  when powered off that energy is still there but the cathode ray is now off causing a surplus of (negatively) charged particles in a concentrated area and they wish to disperse into equilibrium and as they do there are small arcs of electricity and that is the crackling sound you hear.

i had the same trinitron tv back in the day, man i need to reacquire on for my lightgun and beat based games

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 04:50:18 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. I do remember the days of the static buildup on the screen and feeling the hairs on your arm standing up lol. Man that takes me back haha.