Author Topic: Looking for Xbox One Advice.  (Read 1581 times)

ffxik

Looking for Xbox One Advice.
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:35:57 pm »
I am having a bit of an issue with my Xbox One.  We had some linemen working on the electric pole by our house and we got hit by a massive power spike.  Now the system wasn't in operation but was plugged into the wall.  I do know that the power brick has a surge protector built in, that may not have worked.  It fried the brick, as in it caught fire and melted a hole into the top, inside the unit.

So I bought a new power supply, got it in yesterday got it hooked up, and next to nothing.  Pushing either the eject button or the power button and it will make the correct sounds, but you'll hear a faint whir then the system will power straight down again.
I've tried what fixes I could find online and have turned up nothing.  I figure maybe if somebody here has an idea, maybe I missed something, or maybe it just took the console out.  I don't know.   :-\
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:38:46 pm by ffxik »

BinaryMessiah

Re: Looking for Xbox One Advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:05:54 am »
Sounds like it's fried. I recommend plugging anything expensive like that into a surge protector. Preferably a decently priced one. I have my PC stuff plugged into a UPS, and all my TV and gaming stuff are plugged into a surge protector. It's saved my stuff numerous times during power outages and storms. I'd rather a $30 surge protector die than a $400 game console or $3,000 TV.

You could send the system into an online repair shop, or contact Microsoft and have them diagnose it. They will charge you since this wouldn't be covered under the warranty (if it's not already expired) and see if it's cheaper than buying a new system.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:15:17 pm »
My One was doing similar actions a while ago (turning off instantly after a button was pressed), but it wasn't from a power surge, just from a sudden power outage. I just cleaned everything out with an air duster then plugged it into a different outlet and let it sit for about 15 minutes, and then it was up and running again.

gummo

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 06:05:32 pm »
That sucks . I would guess that it fried something too . That must've been a really bad surge . Time to get a Series X  ;D ...... and a UPS . I get a lot of lightning storms and haven't lost any electronics since I started using UPS's for everything , knock on wood .

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:02:22 pm »
If you hear sounds when you turn it on, it's fixable. I would bring it to a shop and see what they will charge you. Look up "Northridgefix" on youtube or check out his website. He does awesome work.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:57:06 am »
My advice  is always use a surge protector for all electrical devices you care about. it's the safest option.

and if any of you reading this don't have a three prong outlet just buy a cheater plug, and use that to plug in a surge protector. you can find them at some dollar stores or a local or online hardware store. it's a small cube used to plug in a three pronged plug into a 2 prong outlet.

Really sorry to hear this could happen to anyone, this can be annoying since you can almost never know when to prepare for a power spike or surge, this could happen at any time, as far as the built in surge protector on the power brick? I think is only useful  with once you have it plugged into an external surge protector, for an extra cushion incase you are playing on this or having this pugged in with a surge protector. and something like this occurs

This could have happen to me also when I was going to do the same thing with my computer. when my little sister screamed the word no. and luckily I was able to find and get a surge protector for my own devices
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:17:52 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:25:12 am »
I think I've figured it out.  My old power suply went up in flames and I bought a used OEM power brick.  That brick is no good, so I ordered another.  Anywho, pictures are going to follow.  They're big I'm sorry for that.  Both pics are from the fried supply one highlighting the damage, the second is to show what I believe the problem with the other supply to be.

The damage due to the over current.

This cluster of 3 2200uf 16v capacitors in the other supply have domed tops and are leaking.  So I figure that is my problem there.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 05:35:56 pm »
What happen to you should have not EVER  have happened, to your home in the first place, If I were you I'd contact your electric company and report this and show them the damage, otherwise this could happen again or to someone else. That lineman should be fired immediately he does not know what he or she is doing, because that is one hell of a surge or powers spike, you have rights man, and that is vandalism to your private property

AND your paying your electric right? I'm sure you are and you just paid that lineman salary just to have your expensive equipment Beyond destroyed >:(

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:46:26 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 06:17:44 pm »
What happen to you should have not EVER  have happened, to your home in the first place, If I were you I'd contact your electric company and report this and show them the damage, otherwise this could happen again or to someone else. That lineman should be fired immediately he does not know what he or she is doing, because that is one hell of a surge or powers spike, you have rights man, and that is vandalism to your private property

AND your paying your electric right? I'm sure you are and you just paid that lineman salary just to have your expensive equipment Beyond destroyed >:(

That's the thing.  The town I live in is a municipality and in the state of Missouri any township with that designation operates by basically it's own rules.  I've been dealing with these kinds of damages for 20 years with no recourse, because the town IS the electric company for the most part.  It buys it's power from a provider out of Arkansas and the city is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance.

For your query about paying the bill, yes I do keep up my part.  lol  Though the average residential rates in Missouri is 10.17¢/kwh, ours is 12.30¢/kwh so in the last four months that's been around $2500.

Usually I do run high end surge protectors on my electronics, and I eat them to the tune of 7-8/year.  I didn't with this because I frankly couldn't afford one, and I've got kids, and I figured that I would be ok until I could get one.   ........yeah.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:30:36 pm by ffxik »

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 06:35:15 pm »
I would try contacting someone even if it's the police, because sounds like what's happening to you is probably happening to a lot of people, and you got kids so you need to protect them, even if your own house don't burn down one of the other homes in your town might, and that could spread especially if you live near a lot of trees and woods, you are and your entire family are not safe.

If you contact some kind of authorities they should send someone out even if it has to be the FBI, but this is dangerous.

Did you know that the State of California has been burning  for a number of years now? And many people died in their homes and miles have been burning for a number of summers now there. :-\

My town was almost taken over too, I hope you can find safety.

and if your local government don't give a shit apparently, but enough people stand up against them it might make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:16:53 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 02:12:43 am »
I would try contacting someone even if it's the police, because sounds like what's happening to you is probably happening to a lot of people, and you got kids so you need to protect them, even if your own house don't burn down one of the other homes in your town might, and that could spread especially if you live near a lot of trees and woods, you are and your entire family are not safe.

If you contact some kind of authorities they should send someone out even if it has to be the FBI, but this is dangerous.

Did you know that the State of California has been burning  for a number of years now? And many people died in their homes and miles have been burning for a number of summers now there. :-\

My town was almost taken over too, I hope you can find safety.

and if your local government don't give a shit apparently, but enough people stand up against them it might make a difference.

Surprisingly enough there have been next to no home fires due to electrical problems.  That said I cannot say the same for flue fires, arson, and meth labs.
We lose more houses to people too lazy to clean their chimney than anything.  The fires in Cali are a different matter entirely.
Contacting the authorities is a nice thought but it's ultimately useless.  Our town has one, maybe two police officers.  Most of the business is handled by the county sheriff and he's a half hour out, in a completely different town.  Even if you do, their go to response is, "get a hold of city hall." "Nothing we can do."

We have a fire department but by the time they mobilize it's already too late.  That's why the mottos of all the surrounding towns is.  (Insert town fire dept here), they haven't lost a basement yet. 
Since we live in town there isn't much in the way of foliage to worry about.  Even then the climate in Missouri differs so much than that of Cali, that while we do have the occasional wildfire they never get to past the point of brush fires.  It's fairly wet and oppressively humid here.  There are days when you cannot even get a grill to burn well enough to do any outdoor cooking, unless it's gas.

That's rural Missouri for you.  You're pretty much on your own.