Author Topic: Top 50 Sega Game Gear Games  (Read 6764 times)

telekill

Top 50 Sega Game Gear Games
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:26:49 am »

A few months ago, there was a slew of top 50-150 games for various retro systems. One that is often overlooked is the Sega Game Gear; which is my favorite handheld system. I would imagine most of us know about the history of Sega and how the rival of the Game Gear (Game Boy) obviously won out that battle, however, Game Gear still has a great library and lots to offer.

I thought it would be fun to bring back one of the "Top ##" threads for this year and start it off with a favorite of mine. If you don't have experience playing on Game Gear, I recommend you check some of the games out however you can that end up getting listed in this thread. Also, if you played the Sega Master System (SMS) and have a favorite, so long as the game is also on Game Gear in some fashion, you can list it instead. The two platforms shared most of their library.

Let's get this started....

1. Sonic Triple Trouble - Sonic was a massive pull as to why I asked for a Game Gear instead of a Game Boy and Triple Trouble was arguably the best Sonic game on the system. Sega had added in quite a bit from the Genesis versions including snowboarding which was only available on one level, but fun none-the-less. As per usual, great soundtrack as well.

Flashback2012

Re: Top 50 Sega Game Gear Games
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:57 am »
I dumped a considerable amount of time into this game...

Not that it counts but when it got a Sega CD release I dumped as much, if not more, time into that one.  :P

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:52 am »
It was my favorite Game Gear game but I did not have a Game Gear vary long because my friends stole it. but eventually another friend or neighborhood  resident returned the Game Gear to me but all the games were lost

If I was smarter I would have pursued the friends that took it. but back then I had no friends, and for some reason I didn't try to get it back I don't know why today. Probably because I didn't know which friend took it since multiple friends were over at that time.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:37:51 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 01:09:32 pm »
It was my favorite Game Gear game but I did not have a Game Gear vary long because my friends stole it. but eventually another friend or neighborhood 

Oh man. Glad you got it back eventually. I would have told my parents and had a police report made out and taken them to each "friend's" home.

Continuing with the list...

4. Jurassic Park - Each Sega Jurassic Park game was different. Something that I thought was pretty cool at the time. You play as Grant (though the character doesn't look anything like him in the GG version) playing through 5 levels. The 5th level is hidden until you've completed the other 4. Pretty neat T-Rex chase at the end of the game. You're supposed to capture each of the 5 main dinosaurs in the game to get the park back under control. I had a blast with it and played it constantly. I still play it from time to time.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:02:13 pm »
5.Ristar

telekill

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 11:05:23 am »
6. Streets of Rage 2 - I missed out on the Streets of Rage series as a kid as it was seen as too violent by my parents and grandparents to give to my 10-13 year old self back when these were really popular. Luckily, eBay became a thing and I bought both games for the system later in life. To my fantastic surprise, both games were really good on the handheld; but the second really shines. Kudos to those that ported this in such a fantastic way.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:13 pm »
https://vgcollect.com/item/30621

It was my favorite Game Gear game but I did not have a Game Gear vary long because my friends stole it. but eventually another friend or neighborhood 

Oh man. Glad you got it back eventually. I would have told my parents and had a police report made out and taken them to each "friend's" home.

unfortunately I don't think the police would have done anything back then, because just a few years ago a random kid somewhere in my neighborhood left a stolen bike on my front lawn. I immediately contacted my police and made a report, they told me that they couldn't do anything but I just had high hopes. and kept the bike where it could be seen.

So I left the stolen bike towards the back of my front yard and the good news is the owner of the stolen bike came up to my home. about a week or two later with a cell phone. and told me that was his bike. and I gladly gave him his bike back. I think the police might have given him my address, long story short. This kid got he stolen bike returned to him. and (I think) If I didn't make a call to the local police. the kid may have never got his bike back.

(back on topic)

there is another game I remember playing on my Game Gear it's a the best fighter jet simulation game I ever played on the Game Gear, and I think it's worthy of getting into more peoples GG collections

I was into real military class fighter jets when I was maybe 5 or 6? even had a jet airplane book that talked about more fighter jets like this.

Gameplay is nothing like Top GUN on the NES, it does not have a landing sequence as hard as Top GUN on the NES. this game has missions where you lock on and shoot down other fighter planes and bomb tanks and other ground targets below your fighter jet, and it's not fast paced from what I remember either.

it's a nice and easy game to get into for casual gamers. but I have not played a lot of fighter jet games in my life so take note.

I also recommend buying that Game Gear Screen magnifier I had and also and a Game Gear AC Power Cord to plug it into a power outlet to get a more better Game Gear Experience.

7. F-15 Strike Eagle
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:12:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 07:56:04 am »
8. Road Rash - I only picked this game up about a year ago but had I known this was on Game Gear back in the 90's... I would have picked it up then. For obvious reasons, the game is slower than its Genesis counterpart, but the gameplay is all there. Kicking and punching or using weapons on other racers is always fun. Glad to finally have it in my collection.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:36 am »
Let's get this list back on track...

telekill

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 05:01:50 pm »
01. Sonic Triple Trouble
02. Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
03. Mortal Kombat II
04. Jurassic Park
05. Ristar
06. Streets of Rage 2
07. F-15 Strike Eagle
08. Road Rash
09. Defenders of Oasis
10. Ecco the Dolphin

I ended up getting Ecco as a birthday gift after my mother had already bought me the first Mortal Kombat but then overheard how violent it was. I was angry at the time, but when I got to playing Ecco, I actually really enjoyed it. Being able to explore under the water felt really cool on the handheld. Sure, it was tough as nails, but at the time, we were all kind of used to games being pretty hard. I actually remember beating it a couple times thanks to the use of level passcodes that I would get as I progressed.

telekill

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 08:24:48 am »
11. Sonic Spinball - I'm putting this one before some of the other Sonic games because I simply had a blast with it. The pinball take on Sonic was actually a really good use of the character's traits. I could play that game for hours at a time and due to the nature of the game as a pinball machine, it was perfect for on the go. Even the soundtrack was good.

telekill

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 06:41:22 pm »
12. Land of Illusion - This was my second Game Gear game given to me a couple months after I got the system. I have to say that regardless that it's a Mickey Mouse game, it was actually really well done. The graphics for the time were incredible. The soundtrack was great. The level design and controls were well done. Not sure I've enjoyed a Mickey game as much as I did this one since finally beating it.

ferraroso

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:16 pm »
13. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

telekill

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 09:49:41 am »
Apparently, not a lot of Game Gear players here on the boards. A sad reality.

14. Judge Dredd - Often overlooked, this is a great game across most the platforms that it's on. Once again, the Game Gear version will run slower than the Genesis counterpart, but considering it's running on a handheld from the 90's, this version is actually pretty incredible. Impressive enough is that they managed to get the various controls enabled needed to make the game playable. Then the game continues to be fun. I will say that the Game Gear version is far more forgiving. I've actually beat it a couple times.

telekill

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 05:30:58 pm »
15. X-Men - This was my first gaming experience with the X-Men. I watched the cartoon as a kid and had a basic idea on the characters, but I didn't really care. It wasn't a favorite of mine like Ninja Turtles was. This game changed it up for me a bit. The gameplay was pretty good. You start out as either Wolverine or Cyclops, but then other characters get unlocked as you progress... my favorite being Nightcrawler in this game. Fantastic game and it kept me playing for many hours.