Author Topic: The Nintendo 64 Appreciation Thread  (Read 1689 times)

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation Thread
« on: January 27, 2021, 03:41:05 pm »
Last year there was another thread called the original Xbox Appreciation thread. And it was a positive thread, for positive things about the original Xbox, I hope we can do something similar to that for the Nintendo 64. I'll get straight to what most people dislike about this console. first the fact that most of the game that came out for it were sports games, lack of RPG's and so on

But what re some positives about the system?

A lot of people dislike the shape of the original Nintendo 64's controller, and I can agree with them. but now there is other controllers (you can purchase) for the Nintendo 64 for a more comfortable gaming experience. for most of it's gaming releases. (For example) I use the Retro Fighters Brawler64 Controller for them,

Original Controller photo

RETRO FIGHERS BRAWELER 64 CONTOLLER

and most games on the Nintendo 64 can be played with the comfort of a more modern video game controller. But most First and third Person Shooter Games are more difficult to ply with this newer controller. (for example) for me, games like Duke Nukem 64 I have an extremely hard time aiming my gun due to how sensitive the analog stick is in that game. if I move the joystick to the right or left the turning speed is way too high for my to accurately aim and I constantly overturn and can't aim straight without difficulty. same with the game called "Army Men Sarges Hero's" Yet all sports and racing games will play just fine with this controller no problem.

Then there is the Hori pad but it feels cheap to me and I prefer the brawler one better today.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:35:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: The Nintendo 64 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 04:23:04 pm »
The Nintendo 64 is still one of my favorite consoles, even though it has a lot of stuff going against it, but it has some of my favorite games of all time on it...Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and a few others while just having really good games in general on it such as Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Starfox 64, Pokemon Snap, Smash Bros, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and other real good games.  I still own my N64, it's one of the Arctic Blue ones, though I don't seem to have the controller for it anymore, not sure what happened to it.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 05:41:54 pm »
The Nintendo 64 is still one of my favorite consoles, even though it has a lot of stuff going against it, but it has some of my favorite games of all time on it...Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and a few others while just having really good games in general on it such as Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Starfox 64, Pokemon Snap, Smash Bros, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and other real good games.  I still own my N64, it's one of the Arctic Blue ones, though I don't seem to have the controller for it anymore, not sure what happened to it.

It's always a good idea to have at least one official Nintendo or off brand original shaped controller. For games like "WrestleMania 2000" "WCW vs NWO World Tour" "WWF No Mercy" "WCW/nWo Revenge" I could imagine it would be vary uncomfortable on those games with the 2 controllers I posted above

But I don't know how the Retro Fighters Brawler controller would react to 3D platformers yet. But hopefully it will work fine in those games as well without over turning on the analog joystick
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:52:34 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

azure

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:51:43 pm »
The N64 has a small library for my taste personally, but I still really like it. Lots of quality titles and some of my favorite games series are represented on it; Custom Robo, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Harvest Moon, ETC. Not to mention the great titles Treasure dropped on it. As for controllers, I really detest the original pad. I really like the Hori pad, pretty much what I use exclusively to play N64 these days. Never tried the brawler, or any others. I know the brawler has those wireless pads, waiting to hear the consensus on those as a wireless N64 pad would be nice.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 06:58:04 pm »
Look at them! LOOK AT THEM! They are so beautiful and I want to own them all. I need them!  It's funny, I don't have a huge interest in big game collections, there's definitely a bunch of games I would have in a collection, but I hope to someday have a mostly complete N64 collection and all of these colored systems to go with my blue one.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 08:01:15 pm »
I loved the n64 I was hooked on mario 64 forever also many other great games like Conker,Goldeneye all the Rush games and of course Zelda and many more.I loved it so much I collected all N/A Systems hopefully I will find the orange Japanese pikachu console Someday. I hope to complete this collection Soon but it has taken many years to come this far I still need to find Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals and International Super Soccer 2000.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:07:58 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 06:59:50 pm »
 The N64 is still my favorite Nintendo console of all time. It was responsible for really getting me into gaming when it first came out, even though I was gaming well before it came out.

My favorite games on the console are most of the "must play" titles that often get brought up when people discuss the best N64 games of all time (ie. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye).

I still own my original N64 which is one of only a handful of gaming items I still have left over from my childhood and early teens. It's definitely one of my top gaming possessions and something I will take to the grave with me.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 10:17:10 pm »
N64 has to be my all time favorite, as well. It played a pivotal role in my younger years, I was super hyped about it back in it's day, and it's had a lasting effect on my taste in video games ever since. I'm not sure what's left to be said about it. It's praises have been sung tirelessly throughout the retro boom, and for good reason.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 12:07:06 am »
Goldeneye is still my favorite FPS ever. I don't care who tries to tell me it doesn't hold up, you can't pretend getting 3 friends together and doing slappers only in license to kill mode isn't tons of fun.

Everyone knows all the good first party games, and they're still some of nintendo's all time best games, but I feel like its third party games are way better than people give it credit for too. Goemon, rocket: robot on wheels, space station silicon valley, wipeout, rush 2049, turok, ogre battle, snowboard kids, rayman 2, wwf no mercy, gauntlet legends, rogue squadron, mischief makers, and many more.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 11:53:03 am »
I'm a huge N64 fan.

I have all but like 4 games of the library.  I'm only missing maybe 2 systems and 3 controllers.

It's got a nice soft spot in my heart.

telekill

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 03:47:41 pm »
I didn't own an N64 during its lifespan for two reasons.
1. I saw the games as being more geared towards children and I was a teen at the time.
2. I absolutely hated the controller. I didn't know how to hold it half the time and the stick constantly broke on friend's systems.

That said, apparently I was wrong as the positives of the system were in the form of some of the games.... which actually matters in gaming.

1. The Zelda games. I didn't play these until I had gotten the Master Quest disc of OoT on Gamecube for preordering Wind Waker. I later got to play Majora's Mask by getting the Collector's Disc also on Gameccube. In fact, the Gamecube was my Zelda hay day. I had every game in the series (including Link to the Past due to my GBA Player) all the way through Twilight Princess (my favorite in the series). It quickly became my favorite Nintendo IP.

2. Goldeneye - Tons of fun with this. The multiplayer mode alone was well worth the agony of being destroyed by Odd Job regularly. Knives only was friendship destroying. But we always came back for more.

3. Killer Instinct - One of my favorite fighting games ever. I truly wish the more recent additions would have been put onto the Switch as MS seems to high five their little buddy occasionally. I used to be good enough at the 2nd in the Arcades that I could beat it on a single quarter. Fantastic fighter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:50:30 pm by telekill »