Author Topic: State of Play | February 25, 2021 thoughts?  (Read 1548 times)

State of Play | February 25, 2021 thoughts?
« on: February 25, 2021, 06:30:28 pm »
The first major State of Play since August 2020 aired today. What did you think of it?

I really enjoyed the new look at Returnal which I was already excited for. Definitely the best look at the game yet.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits had a very impressive showing.

Oddworld: Soulstorm will be free for PlayStation Plus subscribers in April!

Five Nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach easily looks like the best game of the franchise.

Knockout City from the recent Nintendo Direct now has a cross-play beta which includes all current consoles as well as PC. https://www.ea.com/games/knockout-city/cross-play-beta

Sifu from the developers of Absolver was the only new game revealed. Not something I'm interested in but looked fine.

Not interested in Deathloop or Solar Ash.

Crash 4 and Final Fantasy VII Remake are both getting PS5 upgrades and FF is getting new DLC.

That's about it! They said 10 games and they weren't lying! The free PlayStation Plus games for March are still MIA!

Re: State of Play | February 25, 2021 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 06:41:28 pm »
The showing was very weak in general for me, like it was nice to get some gameplay for Kena and Solar Ash to see what they will be like, but there wasn't much for me here.  Crash Bandicoot PS5 stuff is nice too as I just started into that game, so getting an upgrade before I get to far is good.  Final Fantasy 7 Remake content is what saved things for me, I've been dying to hear anything on that game, so we are finally getting that big PS5 upgrade, it looks amazing and the Yuffie episode looks like it could be a lot of fun.  I never really played Dirge of Cerberus, which is what this content revolves around, so I'm going into it with very little info and maybe because of that, we could get a Vincent tease maybe?

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:58:18 pm »
Final Fantasy VII is also getting two new mobile games.

One of them seems to be like FFXV Pocket Edition that covers the entire FFVII story and the other is a.. battle royale.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:07:40 pm »

One of them seems to be like FFXV Pocket Edition that covers the entire FFVII story and the other is a.. battle royale.

I would've tried it, because all the Final Fantasy stuff could make it kinda fun since it's a smaller scale BR game, like fooling around with the Metal Gear multiplayer stuff back in the day was fun, which is what this reminds me of, but that its mobile, that basically just kills the game entirely, because playing games on mobile sucks so much.  I hate how popular its become lol
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 07:20:15 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 07:13:01 pm »

I would've tried it, because all the Final Fantasy stuff could make it kinda fun since it's a smaller scale BR game, looking fooling around with the Metal Gear multiplayer stuff back in the day was fun, but that its mobile, that basically just kills the game entirely, because playing games on mobile sucks so much.  I hate how popular its become lol
I'm in the same boat. I'd definitely give it a whirl if it were free on console. No interest with mobile only.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:14:58 pm »

I would've tried it, because all the Final Fantasy stuff could make it kinda fun since it's a smaller scale BR game, looking fooling around with the Metal Gear multiplayer stuff back in the day was fun, but that its mobile, that basically just kills the game entirely, because playing games on mobile sucks so much.  I hate how popular its become lol

A lot of mobile titles eventually make their way to Steam. I hope that happens here because I'm interested in the game, but I won't play on mobile.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 07:19:26 pm »
A lot of mobile titles eventually make their way to Steam. I hope that happens here because I'm interested in the game, but I won't play on mobile.

Hopefully it does, like I'm not expecting anything amazing, but there could be some fun here.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 12:02:42 am »
I thought it was hot garbage. I’m less interested in a PS5 now than before, and I wasn’t all that interested previously.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 04:23:54 am »
Thought it was a very solid show!

Sifu looks to be the 3D Beat 'Em Up with decent production value I have waited on for years! Very excited about this and will certainly keep an eye out for it.

Was really impressed with what I saw with Kena, very similar vibes to Horizion ZD but without the open world derailment.

Also, can we just talk about how amazing PS+ has been since the release of the PS5? Last month was probably one of the best PS+ Line ups in history with the controversial Control UE release becoming free, charming Concrete Genie & Destruction All-Stars? That's a wealth of content for one months fee to PS+ Then before that we've had ManEater, Tomb Raider 3, Greedfall - That is a very impressive line up! So to hear that The next Oddworld game SoulStorm is coming free on PS5 upon release! That's immense value! I was going to buy the game anyway but this means I'll be able to play it at launch and I'm very grateful for that! (EDIT - & Now FF7REMAKE! The line up is insane!)

Then there's the FFVIIR & Crash Upgrades, it's great that is happening. I won't be playing Crash 4 because of the Dark Souls mentality Toys For Bob took with it but I'm sure prior to FFVIIR-2's build up I will want to replay FFVII-R1 & will pick this up. The new DLC looks fun too, just hope it is on the PS5 versions disc.

I wasn't too bothered about the rest and I still don't like the format of State of Play announcements but many of these announcements were very welcome and give plenty to look forward to.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:16:19 am by vivigamer »

telekill

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 08:09:20 am »
There were a couple stand out titles in the State of Play for me.

1. Oddworld being free to Plus subscribers is pretty big as I have been planning to buy it since it was shown off more right before the PS5 preorders went live.

2. Kena looks phenomenal. I remember during the PS2 days there were constant back and forths over if games will ever look as good as Pixar.... well, pretty sure they've hit that mark with PS5 and this game along with Ratchet and Clank.

3. Sifu looked interesting. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 09:32:06 am »
Was Soulstorm free or was the PS5 upgrade free?  I'm pretty sure it was the latter.

Also, they announced the March PS+ games this morning.
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Remnant: From the Ashes
Farpoint

Maquette for PS5
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:42:27 am by Cartagia »

telekill

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 11:14:17 am »
Was Soulstorm free or was the PS5 upgrade free?  I'm pretty sure it was the latter.

Soulstorm will be free to Plus users in April.
Which PS5 upgrade are you talking about? The PS5 upgrade being free is the trend these days.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 11:27:18 am »

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Farpoint

Maquette for PS5
Soulstorm is free with the catch being only for PS5 and not PS4 like Maneater and Bugsnax were.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 11:41:16 am »

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Farpoint

Maquette for PS5
Soulstorm is free with the catch being only for PS5 and not PS4 like Maneater and Bugsnax were.

Yeah, I misinterpreted what they said when they said the "PS5 version for free".  I was admittedly only half paying attention at that point.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 10:01:13 pm »
My thoughts: Meh. I'm in no hurry to get a PS5.