Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS turns 10 years old.  (Read 2666 times)

mrkonasoni

Nintendo 3DS turns 10 years old.
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:26:28 pm »
|Start》》|

Yep, Nintendo lastest portable gaming handheld is 10 years old already, time sure flies.

I actually had the chance to buy one when it first came out in 2011, and at least at the time it didn't felt like the console lack games, I wasn't used to buy many games anyway so a few of 3 or 4 games were more than enough.

After reading the final list of games I can agree the library is weaker than the great Nintendo DS library games but I still think the 3DS had a lot of memorable games.

My favorite games for the console are not from Nintendo though.

Frogger 3D is one of my favorite games ever from everything and the first time I played it it made me pretty happy.

Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights is other game by my favorite company Konami and it is pretty underrated, it is a hybrid adventure, puzzle, rpg game with platforming elements, it has 3D anime cutscenes, voice acting, great music and much more, I just love that game.

Castlevania Lords of Shadows Mirror of Fate was also a good game, with good platforming elements and a good gameplay, it also looks gorgeous for a 3DS game.

At the time I was a big fan of Sonic Generations and I played it all the time, it was a great game for spend the time.

So, yeah.
I feel nostalgia about the 3DS, it was a great machine that deserved more than it had.

Maybe you wonder why I didn't mention the 3D effect and is because I sincerely like the console for the games and other stuff, the 3D effect was a gimmick that even Nintendo dropped in the final years of the console.

So, congratulations to this portable console for the 10th years mark.

I certainly recommend it buying it.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Warmsignal

Re: Nintendo 3DS turns 10 years old.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:36:34 pm »
Can we put a freeze on the clock? I'm starting to feel super old. 3DS is like a modern, newfangled gadget if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't get to be 10 years old.

I'm more of an OG DS fan, however.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:19:59 am »
Each day I feel like something else reminds me of how old I'm getting (I'm in my early 30s too btw lol).

I remember not being super excited about the 3DS when it came out, mostly because outside a few games I've never been big on handhelds. The first time I ever say one was at a Best Buy where I also played Dead or Alive on their demo unit. I was really impressed by the 3D effect as well as how good the graphics were coming out of a handheld. Still, it wouldn't be until Pokemon X/Y came out that I'd get one.

I've since collected and played many other 3DS games and it's certainly a legendary handheld if there ever was one.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 01:33:45 am »
Never liked the 3DS myself, its 3D gimmick was a neat novelty, you look at it for a short bit in some games, and then you immediately turn it off, because there's no reason to use it in any regular length game.  I had a 2DS for a short bit because I had no need for the 3D feature, so that made it cheaper, though I did get a 3DSXL for a short bit also, hoping to like the bigger hardware, but other than playing the Zelda 64 games, abit of A Link Between Worlds, and trying to play that awful Xenoblade Chronicles port, I eventually just sold it.  Think I played a couple other games, I remember that 3D Mario Land, tried to play a little Pokemon X, and maybe one or two others, but that is about it.

It's just a thing of not liking handhelds as they are not designed with comfort in mind like regular controllers are and I don't have a life where I'm out enough to warrant needing one.  It's why I appreciate the Switch abit more, even if it has its own problems.

I'd love to see the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3DS games ported to Switch someday, I remember those versions being generally better versions of the original game.  Same for A Link Between Worlds as I never got to beat it.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 07:18:47 am »
I've only fully used the 3D feature in my 3DS once. That was when I played Kirby Triple Deluxe. Otherwise, that gimmick remained off.

Still, it's a great little portable device with some equally great titles. I finished a game on it not too long ago and I'm going through another one now. Well, the one I'm going through now is for the original DS but backwards compatibility just helps add to the 3DS' greatness.

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:49:32 am »
Yes, we're all getting old. It's part of the contract.

Anyway, I think the 3DS is rather cool, I certainly like it, but I've yet to play any of the games I have for it—I mean, I intend to, but I'm a master procrastinator. Truth be told, though, I'm still very much into the NDS, and still play it to this day. Ironically enough, even though the main gimmick of the NDS is the touchscreen, I initially disliked it and most games that relied on it, but now I don't particularly mind using it. I doubt this will be the same, however, for the 3D gimmick of the 3DS since I've never been a fan of 3D anything.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:18 am »
Let's be honest who played with the 3d gimmick on after the first week. I don't pretty much turned off at all times.

In many ways I felt the 3ds was a downgrade compared to the ds. Inferior library and game series overall being worse than on the original ds.

3ds was also not really powerfull enough for really good looking 3d games. they should have stuck with more 2d like ds games.

It's a great console at the end of the day but I definitely saw the end of a handheld era with the 3ds I was not super impressed with the games that it brought us compared to the GBA or og ds.

The only thing that I'll say is this. it's nice to play ds games on a bigger screen on a 3ds XL. but ye using a newer piece of hardware to play older games is not a great look I'd say.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 11:54:56 am »
I'm so old.

Worth owning one for Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, alone. So damn good.

scott

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 11:34:14 pm »
10 years. Wow. 

I was playing on mine not to long ago. I have to say, the DS/3DS has to be my favorite dedicated handheld.

Like others said, I kept 3D off, I tried to like it but it always messed with me. Plus I tend to hold my DS weird, so I was never in the proper viewing angle.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 11:49:24 pm »
The only thing that I'll say is this. it's nice to play ds games on a bigger screen on a 3ds XL. but ye using a newer piece of hardware to play older games is not a great look I'd say.

I guess I never really looked at the 3DS as a  wholly new system, other than for catalog purposes, just a different hardware iteration. I always compared it to the difference between the Game Boy and the Color.

Sure it had its own games that were only usable, like on the Color, but it was still basically just a game boy (ds) with a color (3d) screen to me.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 12:32:01 am »
3DS sure was fun. StreetPass was an awesome feature. Mario Kart 7 and New Leaf were great games I spent hundreds of hours with and still go back to.

Pretty much everyone I knew had one (or two or even three) at some point so it was the first time I was really part of an active console cycle after missing out on stuff like PSP which was really popular in my neighborhood and 360. They all own a Switch now but Switch doesn't have anything like StreetPass to bring people together like 3DS did.

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 01:47:28 pm »
Heck yeah, I remember walking everywhere with my 3DS in a pocket just for Streetpass

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 05:11:31 pm »
Street pass was kinda fun but in ds era days you could literally play mario kart ds with random strangers that pass by. almost anyone had a ds console back in the day

Those where crazy times.

3ds kinda had that but a mere fraction of it. Pretty much Mobile phones only now  :P
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 08:48:41 pm »
During the prime time of the 3DS's life, I would travel by plane 6-8 times a year. I absolutely loved spending my entire layover time walking across every terminal to connect to the airports' Nintendo Zones for easy access to StreetPass counts. Just at Chicago-Midway alone, there were five or six individual spots. In an hour's layover, I could rack up over 100 StreetPasses. I haven't checked StreetPass in a while, but I believe I connected to users from all but one U.S. state while also having crossed paths with players from a few dozen different countries too.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:37:30 pm »
I haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since Gold for the GBC. There are a number of reasons why, but mainly it's just that I had lost complete interest in the Pokemon franchise after that game. When you're 10-11 years old, you want to be perceived as being cool and old and mature and Pokemon seemed like "baby games" to me by that age, even though I spent the two previous years thinking that Pokemon R/B/Y and the TV show were the coolest things in the world, lol.

Anyways, I'm a bit older now and I don't think twice about what anyone else thinks is cool or not anymore, as one should by a certain age.

This means I'm now interested in checking out a newer iteration of Pokemon for the 3DS. From what little I've read so far, folks seem evenly divided on what is considered better, X/Y or Sun/Moon. My natural inclination is to just play the newest ones, either UltraMoon or UltraSun, but does anyone wanna give their two cents on the matter? Again, I haven't played any of the games since Gold, I have no idea what newer features that have been introduced into the series since then, if anyone feels like going into depth.