Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 9.23.21 thoughts?  (Read 2333 times)

Nintendo Direct 9.23.21 thoughts?
« on: September 23, 2021, 06:46:41 pm »
Pretty good in my opinion!

Kirby is finally in 3D in a great looking game called Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Definitely would like to get that game.

Splatoon 3 seems to be expanding the campaign and they have a crab tank thing in multiplayer.

Brewster is finally coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizons and an Animal Crossing Direct is happening next month so hopefully a lot more is coming too.

Nintendo Switch Online is adding Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games at an added cost they chose not to reveal. Hopefully not double the current price.

Chris Pratt is now Mario.

Chocobo GP looks like it was made by the Mario Kart developers and is Switch exclusive so maybe?

Those were the highlights for me! Definitely a good Direct all around though.

Re: Nintendo Direct 9.23.21 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:10:03 pm »
I thought it was not good in the sense that it was supposed to talk more about games releasing before the end of the year, but all the big stuff was for games coming out next year, though there was stuff that interested me and I can't deny some excitement for games next year.  Like next year is gonna be stacked.

This is the first Kirby game I have ever really been interested in, most all the others just never appealing that much to me, but you turn it into more of an open world 3D platformer, and I'm much more there.

The surprise drop of Castlevania Advance Collection is really cool, I was wanting to see another collection so I could dive into this series I never really explored before.

I am excited to have N64 games for Switch Online, though charging more for it is a bit crappy as it's not like the service is really that good to begin with, even if it is cheap, but i'll probably pick it up one more time as long as they don't ramp up the price a whole lot.  Getting Sega was a surprise, along with Banjo-Kazooie, though I'd rather just see them do a port of the HD versions of Kazooie and Tooie as they are just the better games.

Chocobo GP is super silly, but a little fun, don't know if I'll get it.

Bayonetta 3 was so dang good, the big monster battles are a direct appeal to me specifically lol

That was about it though...Almost nothing for me to play this year other than some ports.  Switch is gonna keep on going being barely used for most of this year, though I do need to go back and do more Monster Hunter Rise.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 07:20:42 pm »
Mario movie voice actor list Horrible.

That was rough, No charles Martinet as mario is a big nono

An actual 3d kirby game and a remake of act raiser are however pretty sweet. Chocobo racing dating back from the ps1 nice suprise.

Still personally as a cable user. Switch online as far as gameplay is pretty smooth for me it ain't much better with 2d fighting games on other consoles in my experience in wich you pay a hell lot more aswell. not to mention the family plan when shared with friends gives you NSO for less than 5$ a year. even at 20$ it's way better than the competition for my taste since I rarely touch the free games anyway and the online is just comparable in quality. Wifi is going to suck with 1 vs 1 games, but with mario kart splatoon etc even wifi is great because those games camouflage lagg. aka the reason why less people complain on other consoles because you play tons of fps or huge multiplayer games online. 1 vs 1 fighting games are a niche subgenre on sony and xbox consoles. And believe me those lagg complaints exist on those consoles aswell if your checking the tekkn 7 or street fighter V posts. It's just as bad if your using wifi. With nintendo however smash bros is one of the big things why you'd buy online. those are the worst if you have terrible internet or are a wifi warrior.

1 vs 1 games will however always use peer to peer connection so worst connection will make it lagg, you can't camouflage it compared to large multiplayer games. would give an unfair advantage to the player with a better connection.

https://www.oneesports.gg/tekken/over-50-of-the-fighting-game-community-is-ruining-the-online-experience/

As far as the n64 and genesis library goes, Glad they are keeping it seperate though instead of raising the price since we got more content forcing everyone to pay more like every other console that gives out free games with their online. Retro games on switch are really nice and all but I only pay for NSO to play current gen games online. I don't play retro games on the switch has zero value to me. I'd rather use a flash cart or OG hardware.

I think the premium plan will probably cost 5 or 10$ more.

All in all very decent direct. They blue balled us with the last smash reveal though.

I really hope it's Phoenix wright.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:55:17 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:27:42 pm »
Honestly it was the weakest one in a while for me

The "expansion pass" to Nintendo online is a bit iffy. If it's an extra $5for their yearly plan just to add N64 & Genesis I'll take the bait any more I hope then +$5 is going to be a tough sell.

I let out an "eh" for Jack Black as Bowser. I just don't see it

I let out an audible groan as soon as I heard Seth Rogan mentioned.

Splatoon 3 looks interesting

I will admit despite hearing the little leak earlier They got me with the Astral Chain reference in the Bayonetta 3 trailer.  Really hyped for this one.

alligo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 03:09:07 am »
Wow...they are ashamed of nothing lmao.
pay an extra subscription for only 9 games (emulated, moreover) and controllers for 50 euros (dollars in USA), well game Nintendo.

that said, I am interested in the new kirby and I will wait for Chocobo GP and Actraiser.

but for Chocobo GP, i feel like there is no atmosphere and no the "FF" universe (i'm talking about the tracks even if we don't have much)
and it looks like a reskin of MK

it looks like ND from another time lol

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:12:06 am by alligo »
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 03:41:21 am »
1 vs 1 fighting games are a niche subgenre on sony and xbox consoles.
Sony owns EVO, hosts weekly tournaments which includes a bunch of fighting games, has a website dedicated to those tournaments, bought Street Fighter V console exclusivity, recently had an exclusive new version of Virtua Fighter 5 released that was free to PS Plus members, Guilty Gear Strive is only on PlayStation and Nintendo hates the fighting game community and actively stops Smash Bros. fan tournaments and neither Nintendo or Sakurai wish for Smash to be labelled a fighting game.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 05:38:58 am »
1 vs 1 fighting games are a niche subgenre on sony and xbox consoles.
Sony owns EVO, hosts weekly tournaments which includes a bunch of fighting games, has a website dedicated to those tournaments, bought Street Fighter V console exclusivity, recently had an exclusive new version of Virtua Fighter 5 released that was free to PS Plus members, Guilty Gear Strive is only on PlayStation and Nintendo hates the fighting game community and actively stops Smash Bros. fan tournaments and neither Nintendo or Sakurai wish for Smash to be labelled a fighting game.

It's not niche should have worded that differently obviously tekken and street fighter sold well over 5 Million copies. Smash sold almost 4 times as much.

But for Nintendo smash is one of the big things. a really sizable chunk of people who play online on Nintendo play smash. And nintendo has other big games for online like splatoon and mario kart. But smash is potentially 1 third or close to Nintendo's online player base, it ain't anything close to that on sony or xbox with 2d fighting games.

Meanwhile on sony and xbox 2d fighting games are a small chunk of the playerbase. more players for GTA fps etc etc aside from having less players than for smash when they combine their most popular fighting games. The complaints are definitely there on other consoles for these games aswell. Even with rollback. heck if you check street fighter V forums people black listing people with bad internet connections for days and that is even after rollback Same for tekken. PC is more consistent connection wise since you'll have less wifi users. But in the higher ranks even on console you'll usually have smooth matches, more serious people left than. sadly allot of people don't use cable even on other consoles over 50% is wifi wich is horrible for 2d fighting games.

Just because 2d fighting games are relatively less played on other consoles you'll hear the cries of the playerbase less. Every pro will however say that online for tekken and street fighter V is unplayable and pretty bad. The recommendation to train for competitive for especially tekken is to go to local tournaments. The better a 2d fighting game sells the more casuals with wifi will enter. More niche fighting games can have a way better connection as a result since only the hardcore people with cable are left. Although some fighting games like tekken did recently implement a wifi indicator so that's a really large improvement. way better improvement than a better netcode and rollback because those won't save you against wifi.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:54:13 am by sworddude »

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 07:39:10 am »
The surprise drop of Castlevania Advance Collection is really cool, I was wanting to see another collection so I could dive into this series I never really explored before.

Yeah, I'd been waiting because of the leaks, but wasn't expecting a Shadow Drop.  Made me very happy.

I let out an "eh" for Jack Black as Bowser. I just don't see it

I let out an audible groan as soon as I heard Seth Rogan mentioned.

I was perfectly fine with those two.  It's Pratt that I groaned about.  Tainted the whole announcement for me.  And I love Anya Taylor-Joy, but not sure if she's a voice actor.

pay an extra subscription for only 9 games (emulated, moreover) and controllers for 50 euros (dollars in USA), well game Nintendo.

I don't think it's a great look, either, but it is 23 games, not nine.  You left out the Genesis titles they are including.

doafan

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 08:22:07 am »
Splatoon 3 seems to be expanding the campaign and they have a crab tank thing in multiplayer.

As a Gears of War fan can say that the tank it reminds me a lot to my little old friend the Silverback  ;D

I just need the date of release of Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta 3, my cartridge of New Horizons has been collecting dust since June so I guess it November will be the right moment to use it again.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

jason

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:19 am »
that said, I am interested in the new kirby and I will wait for Chocobo GP and Actraiser.

I'm also excited for a true 3D version of Kirby! :)

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 10:52:54 am »
Wow...they are ashamed of nothing lmao.

to be fair they are going to add more.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 11:00:25 am »
Castlevania Advance Collection was a nice surprise, but I got it on Xbox Series X because achievements.

covfefe2020

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 05:56:28 pm »

The "expansion pass" to Nintendo online is a bit iffy. If it's an extra $5for their yearly plan just to add N64 & Genesis I'll take the bait any more I hope then +$5 is going to be a tough sell.

You literally buy video games as a hobby, How is $5 for 20 games a tough sell for you?

I was disappointed because all I really wanted was Metroid prime trilogy for switch.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:59:33 pm »
I feel like they could have done most of the Mario movie without the A-list cast and it would still make as much money.  Seems like a huge expense for no reason.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 07:28:23 pm »
I feel like they could have done most of the Mario movie without the A-list cast and it would still make as much money.  Seems like a huge expense for no reason.

It's done entirely for marketing reasons.  You spend a lot of money on big name actors, it makes it look more high profile, they get big names on the poster, they get these actors out their talking it up, and they hope that having these big actors brings in not just Mario/Nintendo fans, and it'll in turn bring in more profit.  I'm okay with some of the voices, like Jack Black I'm sure will be great, Kevin Michael Richardson is a legit voice actor, though Chris Pratt, Charlie Day, Seth Rogen, and Keegan-Michael Key are just hilarious choices.  Not that I think they'll be bad, it just comes off as almost parody, especially with how it was presented.