Author Topic: What are your opinions on the Lego games?  (Read 665 times)

gngtiger

What are your opinions on the Lego games?
« on: May 17, 2022, 12:53:34 am »
I personally think that the series of LEGO games (that is, those made by TT Games) have a unique style, with great comedy, fun puzzles, and great character selection (well, the earlier ones could use something to be desired). Overall, I like them! But I was curious to hear other peoples' perspectives, especially since the general opinion I've heard is that the original Lego Star Wars, Batman, and Indiana Jones are good, but none of the others. I disagree, and I'd like to also share my opinions on them.

Lego Star Wars 1/2/Complete Saga: Fun from what I remember, but I need to replay these.
Lego Indiana Jones: I thought the levels were too slow, and didn't care much to play past around the third one, but I can understand why others might enjoy it.
Lego Batman: I didn't like some bits, but it was a nice time (again, I need to replay this one)
Lego Battles: Haven't played
Lego Rock Band: I tried to play this one as a young child before realizing I needed a Rock Band instrument to play, so that sucked.
Lego Indiana Jones 2: Haven't played
Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4: I thoroughly enjoyed this one! I strongly enjoy the Harry Potter franchise, and I feel this is both a good adaptation with a great character selection, and fun puzzles (I especially liked collecting the character tokens)
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars: Haven't played
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Jack Sparrow compass puzzles are kind of tedious, but I also really love this one, especially the environments!
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7: I'm torn as to whether I like this or the first one more, but this might have a slight edge for the expanded hub world.
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes: The first Lego game I've ever played, nearly 10 years ago, and I STILL haven't 100%'ed it. Frankly, I don't mind the fact that the games from here forward have voice acting. I like the open world, and collecting the characters in said open world. This one will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Lego Lord of the Rings: I got annoyed by the Troll boss battle, and didn't really enjoy the crafting mechanic enough to finish it. I do like how Middle Earth looks in the game.
Lego City Undercover: Haven't played
Lego Marvel Super Heroes: I massively enjoyed the hub world (like many other lego games) and all the comic characters in-game (especially the X-Men ones)! There's something special about absolutely decimating city buses as the Hulk.
The Lego Movie Videogame: This is a pretty good adaptation of the movie, and I like the puzzles and abilities used here. The fact that everything is made of pre-existing pieces is an amazing touch
Lego The Hobbit: Didn't care for it.
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham: I think this is the most underrated Lego game. Once again, the character selection is great, and the levels are fun to navigate.
Lego Jurassic World: A great adaptation of the film series, with some amazing dinosaur action!
Lego Dimensions: I really really really love the concept, and it's amazing to see so many properties in this one game, but it has two major cons: It's expensive if you want to play as all the characters, and the 2.0. update was rushed, and makes the game buggy as a result. I still had fun with it.
Lego Marvel's Avengers: This covers the Marvel movies from Captain America: The Avenger through Avengers: Age of Ultron, but skips over Guardians of the Galaxy, which is an utter travesty. It doesn't have as much charm as the original lego Marvel Super-Heroes, due to being somewhat restricted to the MCU films, but this was a fun time.
Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens: This is the most pointless of them all, now that Skywalker Saga has released, but it was well-made with some good gameplay, even if it was just one movie dragged out over 15 levels (With the Return of the Jedi prequel included).
Lego Worlds: I like the concept, but it, for some reason, didn't quite click with me. When it comes to digital brick-building, I prefer using Mecabricks, but the characters being all from past Lego themes was cool.
The Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame: Haven't played
Lego Marvel Superheroes 2: I love the scale and scope of the character roster, but I feel like the hub missions could've been cut back slightly. As a big Marvel Comics fan, this was a great love letter to the company's past.
Lego the Incredibles: Haven't played. But this has Lightning McQueen in it, so instant 10/10
Lego DC Super-villains: Haven't played
The Lego Movie 2 Videogame: Haven't played
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: Also haven't played

Re: What are your opinions on the Lego games?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:38:00 am »
If I were to rank all the Lego games I've played from the main series, I'd go something like:

Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Batman 1
Lord of the Rings
Batman III
Marvel 1
Force Awakens
Hobbit
DC Supervillians
Indiana Jones
Dimensions
Skywalker Saga
Harry Potter 5-7
Jurassic World
Marvel 2
Harry Potter 1-4
Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Wars III
Batman 2
Lego Movie
Indiana Jones 2
Incredibles

With the exception of The Incredibles, Skywalker Saga, and the 2nd season DLC of Dimensions, I have completed all played games 100% (Including achievement stacks for Star Wars, Marvel 1, and both Harry Potters).
I feel the lower ranked ones had problems with exploration, where either the hubworld was blah or when trying to get minikits wasn't really rewarding (like instead of using a free play character to solve a puzzle or unlock a subarea, you're just using them to open a box). Or the game was severely forgettable. For instance, I spent nearly 20 hours 100%ing the Lego Movie game, and all I can really remember of it is being frustrated at getting a minikit on a rail sequence in the Western level.

brothertuc

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 11:01:15 am »
The only one I own is Lego City Undercover for the Switch.
But I really liked that game, and I'd be happy to try some of the others out.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11:37:52 am »
There's way too many Lego games out there.

I've played a few of them such as Lego Star Wars Trilogy, Lego Indiana Jones, & Lego Worlds.

Of the three, I liked Lego Worlds the best. Mostly because it was an original concept, not riding the coattails of previous movies. Lego City Undercover looks okay too. I own it, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. (Maybe one day I will.)

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 05:53:36 pm »
I grew up with LEGO Racers on the PC and I absolutely loved it! I also played through LEGO Star Wars 1 and 2 on GameCube and thought they were pretty fun as well. I think the only other game in the series I've actually played is LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-7
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 07:13:38 pm »
I've have played mainly the lego star wars games with friends back in the day, decent time wasters but the series is not really my cup of tea.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

alligo

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 04:28:44 am »
I didn't play a lot of lego games but I loved the one about Batman and SW III on DS.

For me, the worst Lego is Ninjago movie.

I think I'll get the last one (skywalker) in a few months.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar