Author Topic: NEWS: Introducing mobile.vgcollect.com!  (Read 7227 times)

matt

NEWS: Introducing mobile.vgcollect.com!
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
The cat is finally out of the bag! As some of you already heard, I've been working on a mobile optimized version of VGCollect. This has taken priority away from other updates and users from all mobile platforms have been itching for a good way to access the site. This new mobile site functions almost exactly as you'd expect a native application to. The only difference is that it runs in the browser.

With our new mobile site you'll have full access to your collection, wish list and sell list. Here are a few shots taken from Android 4.0:

The new mobile site will run on any modern mobile browser, although I've noticed much better performance on iOS and Android 4.0. Give it a try at: http://mobile.vgcollect.com

I've done loads of testing to optimize things as well as fix bugs. If you have any issues, please report them in this thread.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:15:26 pm by matt »

darko

Re: NEWS: Introducing mobile.vgcollect.com!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »
I've been using it for a few weeks and it's awesome! Thanks for the hard work!

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:21 pm »
o lawd is dat sum galaxy nexus

Looks good, though. I'll give it a shot later on.

madmax

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »
Looks great. I really like it.

Two small suggestions.

1. Have a link to the forums on the main page.

2. Have a list of games instead of a list of what platform they are on (an option to change the view?)

Aside from those 2 things, I'll probably use the mobile site from now on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:32:00 pm by madmax »

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
Seems to play nice with my Droid 4 so far. Haven't done too much on it. Only thing I see off the top of my head, you might want to say what the site is or what it does on the login page. Right now it sorta has a "login, we're a cool club and if you aren't already aware of us, too bad" vibe.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »
Looks great on my scrappy 2nd generation iPod Touch. Not terribly useful for me at the moment since I have to rely on wi-fi to get connected to the internet on my phone and iPod, but it's a great feature and it seems functional.

Only problem I've had so far... maybe it's just me, but sometimes the thing just freezes and I can't move to another page so I have to go back to the previous page (I think it happens when the "loading" thingy appears and I touch the screen elsewhere).

scott

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »
o lawd is dat sum galaxy nexus

Looks good, though. I'll give it a shot later on.

Ya, that would be my phone. The built in screenie feature is super nice!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:20 pm »
1. Have a link to the forums on the main page.

2. Have a list of games instead of a list of what platform they are on (an option to change the view?)

1. Working on this. Since it is technically another domain I have to work some magic to log the user into the forum.
2. Totally forgot adding an 'All' link at the top of the console list. I add this in v2.

matt

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:13 pm »
Seems to play nice with my Droid 4 so far. Haven't done too much on it. Only thing I see off the top of my head, you might want to say what the site is or what it does on the login page. Right now it sorta has a "login, we're a cool club and if you aren't already aware of us, too bad" vibe.

Yeah I'll be sprucing up the homepage a bit...it's a bit bland at the moment. Probably not going to add much more than a simple about us and account creation page.

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »

Yeah I'll be sprucing up the homepage a bit...it's a bit bland at the moment. Probably not going to add much more than a simple about us and account creation page.

That would certainly be sufficient for a mobile site, I'd think. Just needs that little je ne sais quoi.

darko

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:48 pm »
Bland isn't always a bad thing...especially when you're on a cellular network :)

scott

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:50 pm »
GIFS AND NEON FLASHING BORDERS! GO!!!!!!!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

For reference: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbsite/

darko

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:13 pm »

For reference: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbsite/

Pretty sure my phone would catch on fire if I went to that on a mobile browser.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:42 pm »
Seems to work well in Chrome Mobile. Though it does truncate "kirbysuperstar's collection" pretty hard (as pictured): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-9i6LF3fikYUHpSZThaTk9JTWM