Author Topic: It's the Wii U, underrated? - Wii U turns 10 years old.  (Read 4365 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: It's the Wii U, underrated? - Wii U turns 10 years old.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 02:23:08 pm »
I wrote the Wii-U off the second they said it would use the Wii controllers as the primary controller outside of the ridiculous tablet controller idea. The Wii was such a horrendous turnoff with the forced motion controls that it took Nintendo advertising the Switch with a Pro controller day one as "Play How You Want".

The Wii U Pro Controller was available alongside the console on its release day. Wii accessories were also compatible but were certainly not the "primary" alternative controller to the gamepad.

That's how I saw it as advertised. I didn't even know of the Wii-U's pro controller until the system was basically already canned in favor of the Switch. That's how poorly Nintendo advertised it. Then forced motion controls during the Wii's lifespan implied the same for Wii-U. Nintendo taught me to despise motion controls and they did it so well that they had to have a mulligan on the entire generation with Switch.

I bought my Pro Controller with my Wii U. I knew about it because they had one on the original Wii, too. And I already knew that it was a must-have from the Wii. I have one on the Switch, too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:50:16 pm by burningdoom »

aliensstudios

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 05:19:03 pm »
I don't think I used the Wii-motes for a single Wii U exclusive game.
The only game I can think of that I used the Wii remote for was DKC Tropical Freeze. I actually really like the Wii Remote control scheme in DKC Returns so that's why I eschewed the traditional control scheme in Tropical Freeze. I also used Wii motes in stuff like Wii sports Club and Wii Party U which are both really fun party games on the system.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 05:58:29 am »
I don't think it's underrated.

I personally find that most of even the first party games lacked that special something that Nintendo usually has it was just alright.

Contender for worst relevant console that Nintendo has ever made. and sure it got some nice zelda games in HD but those are old not new games. allot of wii u games got ported but With a few exceptions such as toad treasure tracker, xeno X and tropical freeze. The games where generally not that great.

-  Most generic 3d mario ever
-  no new zelda until the console died at the very end.
-  most mario spinoffs where trash/ arguably at their worst on this console
-  The mario kart game didn't even have a battle mode.
-  small library
-  lack of 3d party support
-  lack of allot of first party ip main games 

I'm a big Nintendo fan but the Wii u just wasn't it. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:06:51 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 07:57:29 am »
Mario Kart 8 did have Battle Mode.  It had no Battle Arenas, and made you do it on the courses.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 09:20:38 am »
Mario Kart 8 did have Battle Mode.  It had no Battle Arenas, and made you do it on the courses.

I know exaggeration from my part, but it basicly was non existent considering it used regular tracks, for my taste anyway.

I have one plus for the wii U though, even though the actual console and games weren't that great I did enjoy the nintendo directs allot, those where infinitely better than the ones we have in the present. The vibe of the company was very nice during that era.

Always loved the Wii U and never thought it got a fair shake. Honestly, most of what makes the Switch great is just Wii U and PS3/ XBox 360 ports.

I'm curious what made the switch so great if where talking wii u ports, since I assume you mean that switch first party games where less impressive.

Aside from mario kart 8 I can't really see what the wii u brought that wasn't done better on switch or is that incredible to sell the system. Botw is hard to classify as a wii u game considering it came out when the wii u died it's pretty much a switch game and they released at the same time.

You can like 3d world but surely most would agree that mario odyssey made a way bigger impact and is just one of the best games in the series.

Still ignoring at least mario kart 8 and botw, What wii u port is way better than what we got in switch exclusives and would make that entire library less impressive compared to said wii u games. allot of wii u games have superior next number entries on switch or main games that didn't even exist in the previous gen.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:38:30 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 10:57:48 am »
Super Mario 3D World is my favorite 3D Mario game.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 12:45:50 pm »

Same.  I love it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 01:22:39 pm »

Same.  I love it.

High five!

telly

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 08:50:14 am »
I wrote the Wii-U off the second they said it would use the Wii controllers as the primary controller outside of the ridiculous tablet controller idea. The Wii was such a horrendous turnoff with the forced motion controls that it took Nintendo advertising the Switch with a Pro controller day one as "Play How You Want".

The Wii U Pro Controller was available alongside the console on its release day. Wii accessories were also compatible but were certainly not the "primary" alternative controller to the gamepad.

When the system came out, New Super Mario Bros U did not have pro controller support, and would only work with Wii Motes if you wanted to play with more than 1 person. Pro controller support was added later for the game.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery