Author Topic: Should I build a windows xp or windows 7 retro gaming pc as my primary gaming pc  (Read 858 times)

To explain due to censorships,censorship of what we love,wokeness,politically correctness & people who support censorships & people who support censorship of what we love I had to ask.

& like I said that I'm a otaku,I'm a gamer,I'm a final fantasy fan/huge fan aka final fantasy nerd,I'm a hentai fan,I love hentai both vr & non-vr & I love hentai stuff.

& yes I know I know that sooner or later they will make the games that I love & I still love & the games I want to play unplayable on new & modern pcs. So I acted like fine then if I have to I don't mind to build myself a retro gaming pc.

& sooner or later I will get even more into pc gaming & to end it here or at least for now don't worry I'm including mods too as well
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 04:33:46 pm by eaglelord9814 »

BinaryMessiah

To explain due to censorships,censorship of what we love,wokeness,politically correctness & people who support censorships & people who support censorship of what we love I had to ask.

& like I said that I'm a otaku,I'm a gamer,I'm a final fantasy fan/huge fan aka final fantasy nerd,I'm a hentai fan,I love hentai both vr & non-vr & I love hentai stuff.

& yes I know I know that sooner or later they will make the games that I love & I still love & the games I want to play unplayable on new & modern pcs. So I acted like fine then if I have to I don't mind to build myself a retro gaming pc.

& sooner or later I will get even more into pc gaming & to end it here or at least for now don't worry I'm including mods too as well

Political views aside, do you mean as a dedicated retro gaming PC? Microsoft stopped updating Windows 7 so you shouldn't have either connected to the internet. Both OS support different eras. By the time Windows 7 came out the support for XP wasn't great at all. You should make a retro XP machine as games that came out during Windows 7 work on Windows 10/11 just fine. XP was built around 32-bit architecture with very little supporting or working on XP 64-bit. XP retro PCs are becoming really popular, laptops as well, so expect era appropriate hardware to be a bit pricey.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

You should make a retro XP machine as games that came out during Windows 7 work on Windows 10/11 just fine.

That's actually not accurate at all. Literally 2/3 of my physical PC games won't work on the current Windows 10. That's because at some point maybe 2-3 years ago Microsoft brought a security update that straight-up refuses to run some older CD/DVD software that have a security "certificate" that is obsolete today, rendering at least 2/3 of CD/DVD games uninstallable.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

BinaryMessiah

You should make a retro XP machine as games that came out during Windows 7 work on Windows 10/11 just fine.

That's actually not accurate at all. Literally 2/3 of my physical PC games won't work on the current Windows 10. That's because at some point maybe 2-3 years ago Microsoft brought a security update that straight-up refuses to run some older CD/DVD software that have a security "certificate" that is obsolete today, rendering at least 2/3 of CD/DVD games uninstallable.

Didn't know this. I don't have a disc drive on my computers. Haven't had one in 7 years. I was basing this off of using Steam for Windows 7 stuff. Maybe it's not an issue with digital content.

tripredacus

I'm currently on Win7 but I am making preparations to move to Win 10 by the end of the year to retain Steam compatibility.

As far as what OS you should use for older games depends on how you want to be running them. If you want to be using real hardware/software or if you are fine with using emulation. If using emulation then it doesn't really matter except that you'll need to use (at least) a professional SKU and use a CPU with a vt instruction so you can run a hypervisor. Else you can go towards a Linux solution and use something like ESXi to be the hypervisor. No matter what HV method you choose, you are going to run into compatibility issues, so you'll need to research the different options like VirtualBox, Hyper-V, VMWare Player or ESXi or another solution.

If you are going to hardware level, then it comes down to what games you have already or what you want to play.

I already have a Win98 PC, which I've had for over 20 years now. I also plan to make a Win95, an XP and a Japanese Vista system. Of course I have the hardware and software resources to build many different PCs that many people don't, so I can't necessarily make those types of recommendations. For example, I have some games that require specific hardware, to generate effects that cannot be emulated. Those are going to be 90s games that require specific video cards like a 3DFX card or ATI Rage.

As far as the security certificate situation, I did not know that was involved with reading CD/DVD based games. I know that issue exists for networking hardware, which is why I have to keep 2 notebooks in my notebook bag (makes it heavy) where one has XP to use internal pages on old hardware.

I guess it depends of what you are planning to play. Regardless of your reasons, XP era hardware is cheap and it still natively supports all the bells and whistles XP era games might offer, like EAX.

That's why I keep this around: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/user/randomstranger/devices/289374

Warmsignal

OP always has me cracking up. I needed that.