Author Topic: Neo Geo Mini; which game you want on the system?  (Read 4594 times)

ffxik

Re: Neo Geo Mini; which game you want on the system?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 03:04:52 am »
My only worry would be the quality.  I remember that dumpster fire that was the Neo Geo X. 

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 11:11:55 am »
My main issue with the Neo Geo is that most of its games are already available on other consoles in perfect or near perfect ports, which begs the question of why get a Neo Geo at all, even the mini? I had the chance recently to buy an AES for a decent price, but passed on it because getting only a couple games for it would likely cost me just as much as what I paid for the console. Not only that, but the best games for the console have already been ported so is there really a point beyond bragging rights?

to be fair you could say that with any console since most likely it is just a mere fraction of the price whether it would be a digital download or a physical copy

Battle garrega has a ps4 port wich is superior over the saturn version just to name some example.

You could potentially say it for every retro game and system that way also digital since the price difference is pretty substantial if your not going the everdrive route.

You could quit collecting for sega and nintendo systems since both have compialtion consoles or discs with most of the best games for a mere fraction of the price

There is one key factor missing here: ownership.

Buying a game digitally or downloading a rom and playing it on an emulator or device like an everdrive is not ownership. Ownership is one of the key elements of collecting video games and when owning a specific game can be had at a fraction of what it costs on another system then people will often go that route.

The only reason to buy a Neo Geo console is to collect for it because you are really into the system. This is especially true of Neo Geo seeing how even the cheapest games for it cost as much as most more expensive games on other consoles. You have to really love SNK and have major financial resources to get into collecting for it. Sure, there are the few games that have never received a port outside the original AES/MVS hardware, but many of these games are not nearly as good as similar titles on Neo Geo hardware that have been ported.

I would LOVE to own an AES and collect for it, but in order for me to ever do this I'd have to be a lot more financially well off than I am, like as in making a quarter of a million a year or more. I know that making that much would not be necessary to collect for it, but at least to me bringing in that kind of cash would be the only way I could regularly justify paying $300+ for a single video game.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »
My main issue with the Neo Geo is that most of its games are already available on other consoles in perfect or near perfect ports, which begs the question of why get a Neo Geo at all, even the mini? I had the chance recently to buy an AES for a decent price, but passed on it because getting only a couple games for it would likely cost me just as much as what I paid for the console. Not only that, but the best games for the console have already been ported so is there really a point beyond bragging rights?

to be fair you could say that with any console since most likely it is just a mere fraction of the price whether it would be a digital download or a physical copy

Battle garrega has a ps4 port wich is superior over the saturn version just to name some example.

You could potentially say it for every retro game and system that way also digital since the price difference is pretty substantial if your not going the everdrive route.

You could quit collecting for sega and nintendo systems since both have compialtion consoles or discs with most of the best games for a mere fraction of the price

Buying a game digitally or downloading a rom and playing it on an emulator or device like an everdrive is not ownership. Ownership is one of the key elements of collecting video games and when owning a specific game can be had at a fraction of what it costs on another system then people will often go that route.

The only reason to buy a Neo Geo console is to collect for it because you are really into the system. This is especially true of Neo Geo seeing how even the cheapest games for it cost as much as most more expensive games on other consoles. You have to really love SNK and have major financial resources to get into collecting for it. Sure, there are the few games that have never received a port outside the original AES/MVS hardware, but many of these games are not nearly as good as similar titles on Neo Geo hardware that have been ported.

I would LOVE to own an AES and collect for it, but in order for me to ever do this I'd have to be a lot more financially well off than I am, like as in making a quarter of a million a year or more. I know that making that much would not be necessary to collect for it, but at least to me bringing in that kind of cash would be the only way I could regularly justify paying $300+ for a single video game.

I don't know why everyone think that all the Neo Geo AES games are 300$+, I bought last year Samurai Shodown II loose for 20$ and World Heroes 2 complete for 80$. You need to search, but there is plenty of great titles for 100$ or least. When I look over great titles for NES, SNES, PC Engine, Saturn... complete in box( or even loose), they are usually in the 100-500$ price range, about the same price of an Neo Geo game complete. People just look at the 1000$+ Metal Slug games or Garou MOTW thinking they cannot affort a Neo Geo. Forget about those rare games at have a look at the more common one, there is plenty of amazing affortable games.

My guideline to get cheap Neo Geo AES games; buy japanese games (lot more commun), a game loose is usually half price if you don't care about a complete set, and I found the best deal are from Japanese sellers.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 03:12:02 pm »

I don't know why everyone think that all the Neo Geo AES games are 300$+, I bought last year Samurai Shodown II loose for 20$ and World Heroes 2 complete for 80$. You need to search, but there is plenty of great titles for 100$ or least. When I look over great titles for NES, SNES, PC Engine, Saturn... complete in box( or even loose), they are usually in the 100-500$ price range, about the same price of an Neo Geo game complete. People just look at the 1000$+ Metal Slug games or Garou MOTW thinking they cannot affort a Neo Geo. Forget about those rare games at have a look at the more common one, there is plenty of amazing affortable games.

My guideline to get cheap Neo Geo AES games; buy japanese games (lot more commun), a game loose is usually half price if you don't care about a complete set, and I found the best deal are from Japanese sellers.

The fact that you think $100 is cheap for a game is the difference right there. Most people don't think $100 is a cheap game.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:05 pm »
Less than 100$ its cheap for a Neo Geo game... but I get it it's not for everyone.

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 09:57:34 pm »
Neo Geo Mini presentation tonight

https://www.youtube.com/snkplaymoreGame

kypherion

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 02:57:07 pm »
One of the king of fighters games.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »
Behold:

And yes, you can also hook it up to your TV via HDMI. That was my first concern when seeing it.

ffxik

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:31 pm »
Well I was on the fence about it.  I happened across a review from Ashens today and it pretty much killed my interest in the thing.

So it seems the little cabinet that could is built pretty well, and the small display it has is also really good.  Hooking it up to a T.V. is where the problems start.  The minor problem apparently is that the upscaler isn't as good as the one that Nintendo is using and the picture is blurry.  The major problem is with the controllers you can purchase.  They maybe made to look like those sweet pads the Neo Geo CD came with, but are minus the micro switches in favor of analogue input.  With the way that thumbstick is designed it makes some games nigh unplayable.

You can watch his take on it here. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1NwL75xLQ

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:14 am »
I bought the Japanese version. Like most review said, the mini cabinet, control and the small screen are great. When hook up on a TV, it doesn't look has good than the NES and SNES mini. You could compare to the quality from old SNK collection released on PS2 and Wii. They look and play fine, but the pixel are not sharp and bright. It also only display in 720P...

I did not bought a extra controller. I'm a huge fan and owner of the Neo Geo CD, and love the controller. But the new one do not have the clicking sound, anyone that played any old SNK system know what Im talking about. The sound and precision of the joystick/pad are quite unique. Also, SNK made the stupid choose to change the button placement, making some games (Metal Slug) stupidly annoying to shoot, jump, and use the grenade. At least they could had a option to customize the button in the option menu...

If your not a big SNK fan, pass it, or wait to see it at discount.