Author Topic: Does This Forum Penalize Necrobumping? Vs. Having People Repeat  (Read 1912 times)

I have been making a lot of threads on VGcollect. I am not trying to control the forum in any way.  I currently have been using the forum search before making new posts.

In short can I get in trouble for bring up a thread made by someone else or even myself that got reply's and was an older legit topic?

instead of making a new thread every time for something with having have former posters repeat things they already said before? I knew some forums in my past that would scold or even penalize and use the word Necrobumping. I need to know this because I was planing on replying on a Plug & Play thread created in 2014 instead of making my own Plug and Play Thread.

By the way, this thread has some vary active senior members that replied and would otherwise probably repeat what they said years ago. on the same subject. This is coming from a man who has been in a lot of forums, what some of your thoughts on this VGcollect?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:36:47 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Does This Forum Penalize Necrobumping? Vs. Having People Repeat
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:42:38 am »
I subscribe to the AtariAge take on necrobumping- if you've got something relevant to add that warrants bumping a thread, how old it is isn't terribly important. Of course, it's something that varies pretty wildly around the net.

Personally, I think for general opinion kind of things ('What's your top 10 games', 'is X system worth buying', etc.) maybe keep it within about a year. For something where the dialog has changed, older can be fine- for example, a thread about Limited Run Games from back at Breach & Clear's release that hasn't been active for a year and a half could reasonably be bumped to discuss adding Switch games to the lineup on a preorder basis- since now there's new information that might make people want to revise their earlier statements.

I'd love to hear the mod's take on this, since it's kind of a divisive thing.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:21:55 am »
I doubt you'll get in trouble for necrobumping nor repeating a topic... but some of us... will judge you profusely.

scoobs22

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:29:50 am »
I subscribe to the AtariAge take on necrobumping- if you've got something relevant to add that warrants bumping a thread, how old it is isn't terribly important. Of course, it's something that varies pretty wildly around the net.

Personally, I think for general opinion kind of things ('What's your top 10 games', 'is X system worth buying', etc.) maybe keep it within about a year. For something where the dialog has changed, older can be fine- for example, a thread about Limited Run Games from back at Breach & Clear's release that hasn't been active for a year and a half could reasonably be bumped to discuss adding Switch games to the lineup on a preorder basis- since now there's new information that might make people want to revise their earlier statements.

I'm still an utter noob in the forums, but I like this take.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:09:28 am »

I can agree with this as well

I doubt you'll get in trouble for necrobumping nor repeating a topic... but some of us... will judge you profusely.

Yes I know, an example of what not to do as far as necrobumping. would be, like bringing up a Christmas thread, that was made 7 years ago for Christmas 7 years ago in the month of July lol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:11:46 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:50 am »
The reply box will show a red message if you try to bump a thread but it is harmless.

Forums that have a rule about necrobumping are run by lazy people. If the design of a forum is to have old threads age gracefully, the forum admins would enable archive rules. And if that were enabled, there would be no need for a rule because necrobumping would then be impossible.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:47:22 pm »
Yeah, I always found such rules pretty arbitrary.  I think it's good to at least be wary of when things were posted, but if you have something interesting to say there's very little harm in it

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 11:23:45 am »
Yes I know, an example of what not to do as far as necrobumping. would be, like bringing up a Christmas thread, that was made 7 years ago for Christmas 7 years ago in the month of July lol

And having your reply consist of 'Nice gift D00d'

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:28:46 pm »
People get too full of themselves over that. I see no issues with necrobumping.  Having to make a new topic every month of the same exact topic already posted because you are not allowed to necro something that already exists will clog up the forums more than just bumping old topics. Or implement code that just temporarily bumps a necro to the front and then once the time limit expires, it gets sent back to where it was previously.